Upset

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:Upset

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:36 pm

loucipher wrote:Its ok, I believe some or many here help this fishery live on. As they continue to not catch the bigger fish, they indirectly allow the fishery to thrive!
Hey I resemble that!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

loucipher
Petty Officer

Post by loucipher » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:57 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
loucipher wrote:Its ok, I believe some or many here help this fishery live on. As they continue to not catch the bigger fish, they indirectly allow the fishery to thrive!
Hey I resemble that!
thank you for being such a great conservationist!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:32 pm

loucipher wrote:
Mike Carey wrote:
Hey I resemble that!
thank you for being such a great conservationist!
Yup, he just throws his rods at the fish trying to spear them instead of casting a lure out into the water. Image Image
Tom.

Interests: living

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:56 pm

It has been my belief for decades that to be a good sportsman, you must first obey the laws of the waters you are fishing in. Second, you must respect the right of others who legally obtain fish and keep their limits within those laws.

From what I understand, this young man was within the law in keeping this fish. It is unfair for anyone to chastise him for acting within the law. No one really knows the story as to why he kept the fish. Perhaps he had gone fishing to bring home some bass for his elderly grandmother who can't get out and fish anymore and she loves bass fried up in lemon juice. No one really knows.

Anyone that knows me, knows that I almost always release all fish that I catch. On occasion, I will keep a few. This spring I went up to Browns Lake and fished the entire day. I caught and released about 30 fish. Towards the end of the day, I keep a few to bring back into town. My mother-in-law who is 83 years old loves Cutthroat trout. Being in a physical condition that she can't fish anymore, I on occasion bring her some high mountain CT which she dearly loves to cook up for dinner.

While I was killing and cleaning the fish out on the lake (putting the guts in a zip lock bag to dispose of at home), I got some dirty looks from some of the fly fishing purists on the lake. I'm sure that a couple thought that I was ruining "their" lake that they have fished for years.

From time to time, I see fisherman legally keep nice sized Rainbows out of Amber Lake. Some in the 24" range. Sure, it would make my day to catch and release a great fish like that, but if someone keeps it legally, that is their right. I must respect that. I do not feel ill will towards them and I do not get mad about that person keeping that fish. All fish have one thing in common, they grow.

The only time that I get upset with people keeping fish, large or small, is when they are taken illegally. Then I grab my cell phone, speed dial the authorities, and do my damndest to get them busted!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bass chazer10
Angler

Post by bass chazer10 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:48 am

dont hate on the little kid. if there was one there will be more. besides it can be helpful to remove fish from certain fisheries. especially smaller one like we tend to have up here. im jealous that i havent hooked into an 8 pound bass too. but without pics, i have convinced myself the kid caught a stinkin carp. i also catch and relase all the time. but just because you released the fish doesnt ensure it is going to live after the catch. there are several factors that can kill a fish after it has been caught. lactic acid build up which causes the ph level in the blood to drop. hooking a fish in the gills or stomach also have a high mortality rate. also rapid changes in water temperature and pressure can kill a fish. dont forget about the handling of a fish. the removal of slime layers may lead to bacteria, parasites and diseases which all have potential to kill a fish. just because we release them doesnt mean we dont kill them. :-({|=

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:52 am

Man sometimes I just don't get some of you guys. has bass fishing really got to where we defend people for taking home a big bass? Sure its within the law, who cares? Since when do we not try to educate people? Tell them its better to take a few small fish and release the big ones. Bass fisherman promote c p r. Call me a wannabe Be biologist or whatever you want, but as far as bass go I catch and release and that is what I promot
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

smoke14
Petty Officer

Post by smoke14 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:24 am

A9 wrote:
smoke14 wrote:

My thoughts exactly , the state biologist that help establish size limits do so in a manner that is the best for the fish not the fisherman.
Because our salmon runs are in great shape right???? WDFW has done a fantastic job there right????

:-"
I dont Salmon fish so I have no comment on that, however Salmon are Salt water fish that return to the river to spawn so the issue could be with the commercial fishing side in the ocean?? Just thought Id point that out to ya.

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:53 am

tnj8222 wrote:Man sometimes I just don't get some of you guys. has bass fishing really got to where we defend people for taking home a big bass? Sure its within the law, who cares? Since when do we not try to educate people? Tell them its better to take a few small fish and release the big ones. Bass fisherman promote c p r. Call me a wannabe Be biologist or whatever you want, but as far as bass go I catch and release and that is what I promot
tnj, i don't think the argument is that we shouldn't try to educate people and spread awareness on C&R. I think in general, what people are saying is, how upset can you actually get at a 12 year old for keeping a hog? I get upset when I see full grown men holding a stringer with 5 big hogs or someone who repeatedly posts up report after report holding a 5+ lber in their kitchen, which I have seen on this website. But a 12 year old keeping a supposed 8+ out of Beaver Lake? Doesn't upset me or phase me at all to be honest. Let the kid know about C&R, educate him, and go fish.

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:43 am

I would sure doubt that very many 12 year old anglers would release an 8 pound bass -- unless he was fishing with a serious bass fisherman who would help him learn the joy of releasing such a nice fish. Something else to consider is that this fish was probably very near the end of her life span and may not have even survived if she was released. I once caught an 8 pounder that died as I tried to release her. And, yes she was handled with care and gently released in shallow water. When she appeared to be in trouble, I held her upright and tried to get her going but sadly to no avail. She just gave a big gasp and died. Of course I felt very bad about it as I didn't want the fish to eat or to have mounted. I gave her away to a friend who was a taxidermist for his own display. I sent scale samples to the local Fisheries Biologist, Mr. Theodore A. Muller. He wrote back that the fish was 14 + years old at time of capture and was the largest bass he had ever heard of from that area. He also requested a photo of the fish. I have heard that 15 years is about the limit for a bass to survive in the wild. We have a lot of serious bass anglers on this site and we could probably have the regs changed a little. I would like to push the upper end of the slot limit to at least 19 inches instead of 17. That may save a few 3 and 4 pounders.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

smoke14
Petty Officer

Post by smoke14 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:44 am

tnj8222 wrote:Man sometimes I just don't get some of you guys. has bass fishing really got to where we defend people for taking home a big bass? Sure its within the law, who cares? Since when do we not try to educate people? Tell them its better to take a few small fish and release the big ones. Bass fisherman promote c p r. Call me a wannabe Be biologist or whatever you want, but as far as bass go I catch and release and that is what I promot
I commend you for your desire to promote bass fishing. But just because you made a decision to promote catch and release doesnt give you the right to look down or chastise those of us who do keep bass. 80% of the time I release fish but if I decide to keep a fish that is of legal size I moral, ethically and legally can. Education is a two way street , just because you believe in a certain way of doing things doesnt put the burden on me to comply.

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:21 am

Bob Johansen wrote:I would sure doubt that very many 12 year old anglers would release an 8 pound bass -- unless he was fishing with a serious bass fisherman who would help him learn the joy of releasing such a nice fish. Something else to consider is that this fish was probably very near the end of her life span and may not have even survived if she was released. I once caught an 8 pounder that died as I tried to release her. And, yes she was handled with care and gently released in shallow water. When she appeared to be in trouble, I held her upright and tried to get her going but sadly to no avail. She just gave a big gasp and died. Of course I felt very bad about it as I didn't want the fish to eat or to have mounted. I gave her away to a friend who was a taxidermist for his own display. I sent scale samples to the local Fisheries Biologist, Mr. Theodore A. Muller. He wrote back that the fish was 14 + years old at time of capture and was the largest bass he had ever heard of from that area. He also requested a photo of the fish. I have heard that 15 years is about the limit for a bass to survive in the wild. We have a lot of serious bass anglers on this site and we could probably have the regs changed a little. I would like to push the upper end of the slot limit to at least 19 inches instead of 17. That may save a few 3 and 4 pounders.
Great points Bob i totally agree with you you nailed it!:cheers:
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:58 am

Bob Johansen wrote: We have a lot of serious bass anglers on this site and we could probably have the regs changed a little. I would like to push the upper end of the slot limit to at least 19 inches instead of 17. That may save a few 3 and 4 pounders.
All that takes is a submission of a regulation change. If you need more information on how to do that let me know. It doesn't mean that it will make a change but if you get enough people to make a submission and it turns out there is a good reason to do it, then it can happen.

stace
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:26 pm

If people of WashingtonLakes is very much concerned with the regulations on bass fishing, I think it would be very useful if we got a website or petition going to send off to WDFW. Like Stacie Kelsey said, who knows if it will work but it's worth a try if it is of great concern to everyone.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:31 pm

I'll add my vote now. I don't want any more special catch and release regulations similar to tiger muskies. I'm content to let someone keep the occasional big fish.

Why let the small special interest group set the rules for the general public?

lemagoat
Warrant Officer

Post by lemagoat » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:19 pm

When I was 12 years old I Know I would have kept the fish! I tried like heck to catch them then but never did, that was over 25 years ago i'm happy today to see so many people believe in the c&r method, I think back when I was 12 in 1982 alot more people were keeping large bass back in those days. I remember many people in the papers with large bass, you dont see that today which is a good thing. for a 12 year old to get a 8+ lber is a great experence for a kid, and i'm sure he will remember it forever, it is sad to see a large bass taken but hey let's move on and every one WE release makes up for the few that are kept. By the way great topic FM!
Live life, Love your wife, drive a goat, Catch a hog and be happy

Bass Woody
Petty Officer

Post by Bass Woody » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:08 pm

catch and release is what we do because we fish so much. If everybody on here thinks its wrong for a 12 year old kid to fish and take home instead of maybe robbing your house or doing drugs then you need to stop fishing! what made you want to fish? the dream of catching a big one! If this young angler really pissed you off and you are on here bitching about it you better be out every weekend doing something to make our sport better! otherwise you are just as bad as a unknowing and excited angler that is catching the fever of fishing. You all know that this kid is now a fisher person for life because of that moment! good for him for the fact that he is enjoying life. Now go out and support our love of life instead of making all fishermen look like A holes!!
LIP RIPPER

SONNN
Warrant Officer

Post by SONNN » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:03 pm

Bass Woody wrote:Now go out and support our love of life instead of making all fishermen look like A holes!!

I beg to differ, maybe douchebag is better suited?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:43 pm

maybe neither.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:16 pm

LETS MOVE ON THIS IS GETTIN OLD JUST GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:56 pm

You just don't get it. 25 years ago guys like you were saying something like "what has fishing gone to when you can't keep bass big enough to skin?" Education takes time, and extremes on either side are flat out wrong.

So, who cares, I do. I will stand by my position - let the kid enjoy his catch, and let him enjoy taking his trophy.

I'll bet the two of us would not make good fishing friends. If you think I am strong willed on the internet, you should see me in person.:-"

Now, as flippinfool said, let's go fishing.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.