Trolling and Bass?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
flippinfool
Commander

RE:Trolling and Bass?

Post by flippinfool » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:57 pm

Amx wrote:The only thing I troll for is WOMEN. Image Image
THAT MADE MY DAY THANK U AMX YOU F IN ROCK!:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :compress: :compress: :compress: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:01 pm

flippinfool wrote:
Amx wrote:The only thing I troll for is WOMEN. Image Image
THAT MADE MY DAY THANK U AMX YOU F IN ROCK!:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :compress: :compress: :compress: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Image Image Image Image Image
Tom.

Interests: living

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:47 pm

LOL. BTW, Dez is not a troller. I can't even get him out for salmon on the sound. :cat:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:51 pm

Bass fisherman want to think it is hard to catch bass and they are special:-$ Trolling would make it look too easy:dwarf:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:03 pm

TROLLING? FOR BASS? Yes, people do it but you wont catch me doing it! I have heard of trolling with swimbaits. But mainly crankbaits. I can get some trolling info from Sparky he is pretty good at that!:-$

BucketMouthCatcher
Petty Officer

Post by BucketMouthCatcher » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:14 pm

kevinb wrote:
TravisRush wrote:Yep it's not allowed in tournaments
Hey Travis,just curious,do you know why? or does anyone else know?
:-k It is very effective for locating bass and you can cover ten times as much water. Also your bait is in the water a larger % of the time. If it was not banned in competion , all you would see would be trollers most of the time. I think some special interest ( lure manufactures ) would not make as much money selling you lures if all you did was troll for them :-" . They want you to be more like Bill Dance and fish a differant lure every week :-$ :-k

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:52 pm

BucketMouthCatcher wrote:
kevinb wrote:
TravisRush wrote:Yep it's not allowed in tournaments
Hey Travis,just curious,do you know why? or does anyone else know?
:-k It is very effective for locating bass and you can cover ten times as much water. Also your bait is in the water a larger % of the time. If it was not banned in competion , all you would see would be trollers most of the time. I think some special interest ( lure manufactures ) would not make as much money selling you lures if all you did was troll for them :-" . They want you to be more like Bill Dance and fish a differant lure every week :-$ :-k
WOW YOU REALLY THINK SO OK SCOTTIES ON THE SKEET :colors: #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& THROWIN CRANKS IS VERY EFFECTIVE FOR COVERING GROUND OH IAM SORRY ITS THE I GOTTA HAVE IT NOW TEAM ! TEAM TROLLIN SO HOW DID YA WIN THE TOURNEY THERE RICK CLUNN ? I SET MY SCOTTIES TO 20 FT AND THE REST WAS HISTORY KEPT HER DOWN TO 5 MPH ZIGZAGED A LITTLE AND BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM 30 LB SACK STRAIGHT TO WEIGH IN DONE !!!!!!!!!#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o KEEP ON TROLLIN MY FRIENDS AND YOULL CATCH FISH PUT A PATTERN TOGETHER AND YOU CAN SLAY EM! :compress: :compress: :compress: :compress: :compress: :compress: :compress:

BucketMouthCatcher
Petty Officer

Post by BucketMouthCatcher » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:55 pm

flippinfool wrote:
BucketMouthCatcher wrote:
kevinb wrote: Hey Travis,just curious,do you know why? or does anyone else know?
WOW YOU REALLY THINK SO OK SCOTTIES ON THE SKEET :colors: #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& THROWIN CRANKS IS VERY EFFECTIVE FOR COVERING GROUND OH IAM SORRY ITS THE I GOTTA HAVE IT NOW TEAM ! TEAM TROLLIN SO HOW DID YA WIN THE TOURNEY THERE RICK CLUNN ? I SET MY SCOTTIES TO 20 FT AND THE REST WAS HISTORY KEPT HER DOWN TO 5 MPH ZIGZAGED A LITTLE AND BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM 30 LB SACK STRAIGHT TO WEIGH IN DONE !!!!!!!!!#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o KEEP ON TROLLIN MY FRIENDS AND YOULL CATCH FISH PUT A PATTERN TOGETHER AND YOU CAN SLAY EM! :compress: :compress: :compress: :compress: :compress: :compress: :compress:
LOL just saying if the bass are chasing its a good way to find out and to find them. I'm sure if cranks or spinners are not the hit then trolling wont do you a bit of good , but then why would they ban trolling from bass tourneys? I personally dont like to troll , I find it boring and thats why I dont trout fish or salmon fish very much anymore.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:08 pm

LOL - and old things become new again. Goggle Buck Perry and Spoon Plugging some time and learn AGAIN what was taught 50 years ago. Buck and his trolling methods started the structure fishing craze we still are part of.

Trolling for Bass in the tourney circuit was outlawed with fly fishing and other cumbersome fishing methods. It is not because it was so good, but because in the beginning the method was considered that bad. It was considered wrong to penalize your back seater in the tournament in that manner. In the shallow weed and brush filled lakes that the tourney circuits started in are not banner waters for trolling even with our new "tools".

For SMB, it is not a bad method at all. SMB tend to suspend over open water a lot more then LMB. Trolling for LMB is not nearly as consistent, but it does indeed work, if you can find them.

In both cases, trolling below schools of bait fish (shad or smelt in the south or Mid-West) can be deadly. If the LMB or SMB are keying on suspending bait fish, then let the games begin. Otherwise, you are working specific structure to find the bass, and again, trolling is not the best method, but as any walleye guy will tell you, we know a lot more about methods today.

Having said that, I grew up with a Dad that trolled for everything. I have caught, or seen caught, a lot of LMB caught this way, but, over time, even he realized that, day in and day out, trolling was a low numbers, smaller size, bass catcher.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

BucketMouthCatcher
Petty Officer

Post by BucketMouthCatcher » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:15 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:LOL - and old things become new again. Goggle Buck Perry and Spoon Plugging some time and learn AGAIN what was taught 50 years ago. Buck and his trolling methods started the structure fishing craze we still are part of.

Trolling for Bass in the tourney circuit was outlawed with fly fishing and other cumbersome fishing methods. It is not because it was so good, but because in the beginning the method was considered that bad. It was considered wrong to penalize your back seater in the tournament in that manner. In the shallow weed and brush filled lakes that the tourney circuits started in are not banner waters for trolling even with our new "tools".

For SMB, it is not a bad method at all. SMB tend to suspend over open water a lot more then LMB. Trolling for LMB is not nearly as consistent, but it does indeed work, if you can find them.

In both cases, trolling below schools of bait fish (shad or smelt in the south or Mid-West) can be deadly. If the LMB or SMB are keying on suspending bait fish, then let the games begin. Otherwise, you are working specific structure to find the bass, and again, trolling is not the best method, but as any walleye guy will tell you, we know a lot more about methods today.

Having said that, I grew up with a Dad that trolled for everything. I have caught, or seen caught, a lot of LMB caught this way, but, over time, even he realized that, day in and day out, trolling was a low numbers, smaller size, bass catcher.

Hey look a real answer :cheers: TY AA .

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:22 pm

I'm gunna stay out of this one.......................maybe.
I will say though, what a topic to bring up. I'll hang to read others views.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:29 pm

This has got to be the funniest post to come along in quite some time. Keep it coming!

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:LOL - and old things become new again. Goggle Buck Perry and Spoon Plugging some time and learn AGAIN what was taught 50 years ago. Buck and his trolling methods started the structure fishing craze we still are part of.

HEY I KNOW I WENT ALITTLE OVERBOARD BUT I CHALLENGE ANYONE WHO WANTS TO TROLL AND WE WILL PUT IT TO THE TEST IAM LAUGHING RIGHT NOW CUZ I CANTBELEIVE IAM GOING SO FAR BUT IT S ALL IN GOOD FUN AND FOR THE LUV OF THE SPORT SO HERE IT IS ,ANY TROLLIN FOOL OUT THERE CAN JOIN ME FOR A DAY OF PATTERN FISHIN AND ILL GO FISHIN WITH YOU TROLLIN . ILL PAY GAS AND RAMP FEE AND DINNER OR DRINKS LETS TEST IT LEGAL LIMIT SIZE AND TIME! BRING IT ! ILL BE AT SILVER TOMMOROW 6 am !

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:52 am

:-" OK Flippin, now I know where the fool part comes from. LOL

BucketMouthCatcher
Petty Officer

Post by BucketMouthCatcher » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:43 am

ILL PAY GAS AND RAMP FEE AND DINNER OR DRINKS LETS TEST IT LEGAL LIMIT SIZE AND TIME! BRING IT ! ILL BE AT SILVER TOMMOROW 6 am !
Sounds more like a date then a fishing excursion. You cant really be that lonely over there are you ? LOL j/k .

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:42 am

Anglinarcher wrote::-" OK Flippin, now I know where the fool part comes from. LOL
I kinda agree with you AA. Flippin must have a ton of confidence in his fishing to put that challenge out there. I know a troller that would give him a good run. And Mark on this site, if he trolls all day in winter on WA FF's going down.

Anyway, FF you should be fishing around my club members on Silver today, let us know how it went.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka Powerworm

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:27 pm

ChrisB wrote:
Anglinarcher wrote::-" OK Flippin, now I know where the fool part comes from. LOL
I kinda agree with you AA. Flippin must have a ton of confidence in his fishing to put that challenge out there. I know a troller that would give him a good run. And Mark on this site, if he trolls all day in winter on WA FF's going down.

Anyway, FF you should be fishing around my club members on Silver today, let us know how it went.
Careful Chris, I think FF is right, most of the time. Still, this time of year, if I was fishing Long Lake in Spokane, the trolling might just be better.:-"

Really, everyone should get the book that Buck Perry wrote. I gave my Spoon Plugging book away when I was a teenager, but it was a great start to get me going. I believe that the combination of controlled depth fishing and structure fishing Buck talked about is so very informative.

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:41 am

My feelings about trolling are that the fish catch you when trolling. I want to catch the fish not the fish catch me. Just the way I feel.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:12 am

I think we are missing the point of the intial question. Is trolling an effective way to find and catch bass? The obvious answer is, under certain circumstanaces, yes. Is it the most entertaining way? That's up to the individual to decide. I believe the originator of the thread was just curious to see if he had stumbled upon something new. To admonish a person for catching a fish in a legal manner is not what this site is about. Everyone has their favorite methods for catching bass and other species of fish, no two people fish exactly alike, nor should they.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:46 pm

Desertcreek wrote:My feelings about trolling are that the fish catch you when trolling. I want to catch the fish not the fish catch me. Just the way I feel.

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell DC !! Here is what everyone must know about me personaly to understand my train of thought . I didnt learn to bassfish here in washington , I learned the game in Michigan,Tennesse , and Mississippi .I joined my first bas club about 11 years ago down in nashville and thats were i begin "tourney fishing" .In these states and allot others ,Trolling for bass is frowned upon in the sence of "competive Bass fishing " .Now im not saying that it doesnt take place at all but definitly not in the competive bass fishing groups . So with that being said i have never been "trained" or conditioned to make a cast and step on the trolling motor to move a bass lure. Now to be complety fair on this topic i will only stand firm against trolling for bass only in the spirit of competion . If you dont fish tourneys , just fish for whatever bites your bait ,lure, hook etc IM NOT TALKING TOO YOU !...Thats why i had to step away from the PC on friday so that wouldnt wrongfully target anyone her on the site .

Now lets chat a lil about BBD'S thoughts on trolling in relation to targeting bass here in washington state. YOU DONT HAVE TO DO IT TO GET BIT PERIOD ! man iv had this conversation with just about everyone iv fished with , fish against , etc . And trust me iv heard every single "EXCUSE" that can be made to justify this as a legit way to hunt for bass .. Some say its a good way to cover water ! some say is a good way to find structure! some say an angler as no other option but to dragg because of the wind factor ! Some say "dez if your not dragging , im just gonna continue to whip your tail at the tourneys"!

I stand for what i believe is right "too me" , period ! Yeah draggers will most of time catch fish, yes they will sometimes have good tourney days on the lake and cash a check etc . But i personaly dont look at that way .

I view it as a lazy way to go about targeting bass , what does a angler learn from dragging ? Why do bass anglers own G-loomis rods and 50k bass boats with 3 grand worth of electroins to just get on a body of water make one long cast stick your rod down and step on the trolling motor for 30 minutes !

Iv learned long time ago to not focus on the things that i cant controll and to put more efforts into the things i can . So by me choosing not to troll will only continue to make me a more skilled angler in the pursuit of bass. Iv learned how to counter the wind factor ! iv learned how to properly cover water ! iv learn how to find stucture and even the "spot on the spot " ! See these are all the benifits of "PUTTING IN WORK" . Allot of the folks here on the site have been watching me produce good bass since 2007 ! It didnt happen because i started dragging , but instead it forced me to turn "new water" into my water ! Not many anglers here in this state have entered a tourney with money on the line and never fished the lake before , Iv done it many times . I do it because im confident enough in my "SKILL SET" to test what i know about bass fishing period, thats why it called bass tourneys not dragging tourneys ! lol

Ok im sure not all will agree with soem things i have mentioned above and thats cool with me man , see im not judgemental so if you dragg im okay with it , truly i am . But your not gonna convince me to do it , and i havent ran into any sitution on any lake across the country that dragging was the anglers "ONLY OPTION TO GET BIT" !!

dez ;-)

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant