Trolling and Bass?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
TheMissBud
Angler

Trolling and Bass?

Post by TheMissBud » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:07 am

I've been flat out skunked for trout lately at my local lake. So not taking the days fishing trip seriously, I decide to switch things up a bit. Instead of throwing on my normal trout lure I tied on a crank bait. Low and behold I was knocking the smalllies dead. I had 7 fish, the largest about 2lbs, within the first 30 minutes trolling close to the docks! What a blast! My question is; Is this an effective way to catch bass on a regular basis? Has anyone else had success with this technique? I'm assuming casting/pitching/flipping may land the bigger fish but I was able to cover alot of water trolling and seemed to have found a "hot spot" while doing so.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Trolling and Bass?

Post by Bodofish » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:25 am

It's the only way I've caught them!....... well besides bow and arrow and 38sp. I normally prefer to sip a cup of joe or a cool one while dragging some sort of offering to the fish but then I'm not a bass guy.
Just for the record guys, I can't see why anyone would do anything but C&R with a bass. People say trout from lakes taste muddy........ bass take that to a whole new level.....:-& I ate a couple as a kid and both times yuck!!!! Those were buckets, I hear the smallies are better but you guy's can have 'em.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:12 am

Bodofish wrote:Just for the record guys, I can't see why anyone would do anything but C&R with a bass. People say trout from lakes taste muddy........ bass take that to a whole new level.....:-& I ate a couple as a kid and both times yuck!!!! Those were buckets, I hear the smallies are better but you guy's can have 'em.
Agreed. I prefer saltwater fish any day, if its gonna end up on the table.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:16 am

Trolling for bass can be very effective and has become a bit more popular lately. In waters that contain walleye it is not uncommon to pick up smallies while trolling. I catch them on occasion while fishing for cutts in Lake Washington. Conversely folks dropshotting for bass catch cutts form time to time, so there is a lesson here somewhere. I personally haven only caught a few largemouth while trolling but only while fishing from my inflatable pontoon boat. Now I may be wrong, someone is sure to correct me if I am, trolling is not permitted by contestants fishing during a bass tournament. However, the technique is used to locate fish and holding areas on days prior to the tournament, I've seen you guys out there so don't deny it. I find it odd that they don't ever show folks doing this on the bass shows, I guess it's kind of like riding a moped...

TravisRush
Commander

Post by TravisRush » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:47 am

Yep it's not allowed in tournaments

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:54 am

TravisRush wrote:Yep it's not allowed in tournaments
Hey Travis,just curious,do you know why? or does anyone else know?

TheMissBud
Angler

Post by TheMissBud » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:15 am

TravisRush wrote:Yep it's not allowed in tournaments
Beings that its not allowed in tournaments, do other fisherman or "die-hard bass fisherman" look at it as an unethical way to fish for bass?

I'll tell you that I learned a lot trolling for the little guys, and had an absolute blast doing so. This next time out at the lake I'm gonna stop at the "hole" I found while trolling I try throwing some plastics at them :thumleft:

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:50 am

Maybe it's looked at like "flossing" is in river settings. All I know is that it works for most any species and is legal in our State. If it helps you catch fish and learn the lay of the lake why would you not do it? Rules are made up for many different reasons and not all of them make sense. MissBud, you did exactly what the pros do. Find a honey hole trolling and then hit it up on game day throwing gear. :thumleft:

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:04 am

i would imagine people don't do it because the reason people enjoy bass fishing is because of all the great techniques that require personal polishing in skills. What fun would bass fishing be if you just sat on a boat and trolled around?

TheMissBud
Angler

Post by TheMissBud » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:06 am

G-Man wrote:Maybe it's looked at like "flossing" is in river settings. All I know is that it works for most any species and is legal in our State. If it helps you catch fish and learn the lay of the lake why would you not do it? Rules are made up for many different reasons and not all of them make sense. MissBud, you did exactly what the pros do. Find a honey hole trolling and then hit it up on game day throwing gear. :thumleft:
Thanks Gman. I guess if the pros do it then I'm on the right track:thumleft:

I know she's not a lunker but not too bad for my first "trolling bass"

TravisRush
Commander

Post by TravisRush » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm not too sure why but I'm guessing because it takes away from the skills involved in using the techniques?

Bass Woody
Petty Officer

Post by Bass Woody » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:18 pm

i have landed a few trolling from one area to another. trolling is the same thing as reeling in your lure, just constant. if fast paced spinners of the edge of the dock is what they want give it to them! sure trolling is boring and nothing beats sitting next to a area of choice and finding them. fishin is fishin. do it the way you like,as long as legal.
LIP RIPPER

medic1
Petty Officer

Post by medic1 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:55 pm

I catch bass trolling all the time when targeting other species, specifically walleye. Depending on where you are fishing try pulling a worm harness. You have a chance to hook up with a bass, crappie, perch or walleye. In fact we have used it as a sign to switch from walleye to bass when the fishing gets slow. I have even caught a hog smallmouth on a flat fish when back trolling the hanford reach for salmon.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:22 pm

IM TOO EMOTIONAL TO REPLY TO THIS THREAD ! so instead i will sit down this wkend and put more thought into my response . Tuesday morning !! stay tuned in ! :-#

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

loucipher
Petty Officer

Post by loucipher » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:55 pm

Bigbass Dez wrote:IM TOO EMOTIONAL TO REPLY TO THIS THREAD ! so instead i will sit down this wkend and put more thought into my response . Tuesday morning !! stay tuned in ! :-#
cant wait to sit and read tuesday morning. bigbass dez is a veteran on this board, and is also tourney proven.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:27 pm

Dez and I had this conversation our last fishing trip. I know he'll provide a well thought out answer so I won't steal his thunder, other to say there is a big difference between the way bass tournement anglers and recreational anglers approach catching fish.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:33 pm

Mike Carey wrote:Dez and I had this conversation our last fishing trip. I know he'll provide a well thought out answer so I won't steal his thunder, other to say there is a big difference between the way bass tournement anglers and recreational anglers approach catching fish.
TROLLIN FOR BASS WHATDA F@$%! GOOD LORD!#-o #-o :colors: :colors: :-& :-& :-& :colors: :colors: :-& :-& :colors:
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:42 pm

flippinfool wrote:
Mike Carey wrote:Dez and I had this conversation our last fishing trip. I know he'll provide a well thought out answer so I won't steal his thunder, other to say there is a big difference between the way bass tournement anglers and recreational anglers approach catching fish.
TROLLIN FOR BASS WHATDA F@$%! GOOD LORD!#-o #-o :colors: :colors: :-& :-& :-& :colors: :colors: :-& :-& :colors:
:cheers: Thats what I thought, what fun is that! Just as fun as standing on the bank waiting for a salmon. I will be out casting and working for the bass I catch this weekend - no judgement - to each thier own - have fun in what ever you legaly choose to do.
Washington State Pond Jumperz
Washington's First Electric Only Bass Club
Hosting five open entry electric motor bass tournaments in 2012.

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING!

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:23 pm

[quote="TheMissBud"]I've been flat out skunked for trout lately at my local lake. So not taking the days fishing trip seriously, I decide to switch things up a bit. Instead of throwing on my normal trout lure I tied on a crank bait. Low and behold I was knocking the smalllies dead. I had 7 fish, the largest about 2lbs, within the first 30 minutes trolling close to the docks! What a blast! My question is]lets stop for a second and turn the kicker off. That lucky lure isnt gonna produce everytime sometimes you gotta look at the conditions weather,time,watertemps and depths and go into that bait box and put a pattern together sometimes its an easy process other times it becomes quite challenging . paying close attention to where and when and at what speed and processsing it all.its very gratifying to put it together and whack em. if ya wanna troll and thats making it happen for you and your happy right on but it can be more exciting workin the process going out of your comfort zone . i mean i hate draggin for smallies but sometimes its all that will pay the entry fee and put fish in the livewell. :compress:
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:20 pm

The only thing I troll for is WOMEN. Image Image
Tom.

Interests: living