Labor Day Weekend 2009

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Labor Day Weekend 2009

Post by kevinb » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:02 pm

Normally we head out to Mason County this weekend but it appears we will be staying a little closer to home,
we might try a little campout at Alder Lake but thats also in the air as of now. Eitherway,there will
be some fishing involved. What about you folks? The last "official" hoorah of the year.
Camping? Staying home? Undecided?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Labor Day Weekend 2009

Post by Amx » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:59 am

If I can afford to get some gas today, I'm going to go to Sawyer and try to catch the big Bass that tried to eat my plug one week ago yesterday.
Tom.

Interests: living

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:19 am

We'll probably stay home. Smoke some ribs or something. Hit a local lake or two. We have been so busy Im looking forward to relaxing, ingoring my chores, and just relaxing.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:33 am

8-[
RaMcVey wrote:We'll probably stay home. Smoke some ribs or something. Hit a local lake or two. We have been so busy Im looking forward to relaxing, ingoring my chores, and just relaxing.
You hit it on the head right there: relaxing. I have been putting away my honey do chores since I got back from vacation, and spending 3 days on the Puyallup, well my honey is gettin' a little pissy. #-o
"One more......."

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:04 pm

Amx wrote:If I can afford to get some gas today, I'm going to go to Sawyer and try to catch the big Bass that tried to eat my plug one week ago yesterday.
Gas, that is a biggy. In the last few days, gas has gone up .10¢/gal. Why? Labor Day of course!

They say they raise the price for gas because of supply and demand. Not too long ago, I read that the nations supply is high and the reserves are full. In other worlds, the nation is awash in oil because so many people are driving less. So, go figure:scratch:

I'll be staying around home.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:
Amx wrote:If I can afford to get some gas today, I'm going to go to Sawyer and try to catch the big Bass that tried to eat my plug one week ago yesterday.
Gas, that is a biggy. In the last few days, gas has gone up .10¢/gal. Why? Labor Day of course!

They say they raise the price for gas because of supply and demand. Not too long ago, I read that the nations supply is high and the reserves are full. In other worlds, the nation is awash in oil because so many people are driving less. So, go figure:scratch:

I'll be staying around home.
Well I put 20 gal in the truck, but the boat is out of gas. Maybe one trip down Lake Sawyer, then sputtersville.
Tom.

Interests: living

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:53 pm

I am going to try to get to Cain Lake this weekend - It has been on my todo list, so i guess it is time to do it!
Washington State Pond Jumperz
Washington's First Electric Only Bass Club
Hosting five open entry electric motor bass tournaments in 2012.

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING!

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:13 pm

Fish......................need I say more???????????

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:56 pm

two options open for my gf and i:

1. trip down to Portland and enjoy a nice relaxing weekend in a nice quiet city. Check out the saturday market, Powell's city of books, all that fun stuff.

2. san juan islands! kayaking, fishing, camping, and hiking

i'm leaning towards Portland oddly enough but something about enjoying a nice slow weekend in a small quiet city sounds very fun.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:59 pm

scott080379 wrote:Fish......................need I say more???????????
Exactly. But my weekend is Wed.-Sat. :bounce: :joker:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:43 am

ckim85 wrote:two options open for my gf and i:

1. trip down to Portland and enjoy a nice relaxing weekend in a nice quiet city. Check out the saturday market, Powell's city of books, all that fun stuff.

i'm leaning towards Portland oddly enough but something about enjoying a nice slow weekend in a small quiet city sounds very fun.

I'd have to vote for option #2. I used to live in Friday Harbor. I love it up there. No stop lights on the entire island. They have a farmers market most weekends, even though it is smaller that the off island markets.

BrianB
Petty Officer

Post by BrianB » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:30 am

A buddy of mine owns a beach lot just south of Grayland. We're going to park the camper out there over the long weekend - maybe try some fishing off one of the jetties in Westport.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:58 am

BrianB wrote:A buddy of mine owns a beach lot just south of Grayland. We're going to park the camper out there over the long weekend - maybe try some fishing off one of the jetties in Westport.
Okay let me hear you Napoleon ... Luckeyyyy!!!
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

ryan2202
Warrant Officer

Post by ryan2202 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:17 am

I'm heading over the mountains, to White Pass...I'll be fishing every lake up there that i can...Leech lake (fly fishing only), Clear lake, Maybe even Rimrock if I get bored (the cabin is across the hwy from Rimrock), Lost lake, Tim's Ponds, Bear Lake, Long lake (you got to find this one), Dog lake too...Along that stretch of HWY twelve there are SOOOOOO MANY LAKES, impossible just to sit at one for more then two hours! All trout fishing, eastern brooks, brown trouts, triploid in Leech 2-4 lbs easy, bows, cutts and kok's of course...MAybe I'll make it a goal to catch one of each and really test to see which meat I like better! Smorgishboard of trout ahahahaha yum!
Ryan

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:18 pm

ryan2202 wrote:I'm heading over the mountains, to White Pass...I'll be fishing every lake up there that i can...Leech lake (fly fishing only), Clear lake, Maybe even Rimrock if I get bored (the cabin is across the hwy from Rimrock), Lost lake, Tim's Ponds, Bear Lake, Long lake (you got to find this one), Dog lake too...Along that stretch of HWY twelve there are SOOOOOO MANY LAKES, impossible just to sit at one for more then two hours! All trout fishing, eastern brooks, brown trouts, triploid in Leech 2-4 lbs easy, bows, cutts and kok's of course...MAybe I'll make it a goal to catch one of each and really test to see which meat I like better! Smorgishboard of trout ahahahaha yum!
Sounds like a pretty good plan,beautiful country there as well.

BrianB
Petty Officer

Post by BrianB » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:48 pm

Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:
BrianB wrote:A buddy of mine owns a beach lot just south of Grayland. We're going to park the camper out there over the long weekend - maybe try some fishing off one of the jetties in Westport.
Okay let me hear you Napoleon ... Luckeyyyy!!!

?????????????

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Brian, I think they are implying how lucky you are to have a friend with a beach property in Grayland. I have to agree. Good for you. Enjoy. :)

I fished for pinks today and my buddy and I caught our 8 in 2 hours. Great fishing! I will do the same the next two days (smoking 4 tomorrow afternoon)and on Saturday I am having a buddy of mine tune up my 05 Toyota 4Runner. I think Saturday afternoon will be lunch and a movie with my wife. Sunday I have an invite to fish the salt (area 9) once more before it slows down so I may do that but am hesitant because the Everett launch will be a zoo for sure. Back to work Monday for my first full work week in 3 weeks. Pink fishing in the salt has been fantastic. Thanks to my Sarge for granting me all the vacation time I needed to fish. He da man!!!!! Of course I did take him on almost every trip. I da man!

I hope you all have a safe and very fun weekend.

Dave

Geoffrey Ring
Petty Officer

Post by Geoffrey Ring » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:25 pm

After the first football game of the season (WSU) I'm heading down to the Snake with some of the marching band. Soo stoked. Too bad I just brought my 4wt fly rod... =/ Ah well, fishing is always nice, even if you've got the wrong gear.^^)))))

<sup>Go Cougs!</sup>

BrianB
Petty Officer

Post by BrianB » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:36 pm

Dave/Bisk1ts

I guess I am lucky. I'm shore bound out there so we go out there mostly to relax. I took a 9ft Uglystick on our last trip out there and tried a little surf fishing for perch. I had no idea what I was doing and caught nothing. No worries, as long as I get to wet my line. I'm a bit better informed this time so maybe I'll do better...

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:06 pm

RaMcVey wrote:
ckim85 wrote:two options open for my gf and i:

I'd have to vote for option #2. I used to live in Friday Harbor. I love it up there. No stop lights on the entire island. They have a farmers market most weekends, even though it is smaller that the off island markets.
thanks RaMcVey,
unfortunately, this trip is more to celebrate my girlfriend who just finished her dental school applications (stressful past month for her) so we'll be headed to Portland which was her choice. I am definitely wanting to do San Juan islands sometime soon. I hear its amazing out there.