Best Pierce County evening bite?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Best Pierce County evening bite?

Post by Amx » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:19 pm

Na, I only did it that once and ain't gonna do it again. Too dangerous, and that's why I'm not going to tell anyone.
Tom.

Interests: living

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:37 pm

No worries Amx, I've seen folks do it before and most of the time they do fine. However,last winter
I was out there with the family trolling for trout when I see this yahoo(lack of a better term)
ripping through,must have been doing 50mph. I knew he was probably going to get into trouble and sure enough
I hear a deep sounding thud and the bow of the boat pushes upward a couple feet. Long story short...they make it
back to the launch,I drift in an hour later thinking thats one tough boat. The two guys are there with the boat on the
trailer,as it turns out the hull had suffered a pretty serious tear and was taking on water.Guess they were lucky to be
so close. Anyhow,my lame story is over.

Hit Kapowsin today,I didn't catch squat but my 3 year old yielded 3 bluegills. I just got schooled by my
son:clown:

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:10 pm

I saw a couple sunken boats last time I was out there... Got to love "Stump City".
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:15 am

kevinb wrote:
BrianB wrote:Wow, this thread is quickly becoming a Kapowsin thread. Looks like there might be enough interest to start a dedicated Kapowsin thread to discuss this lake in a little more detail. Anyway, I spent the morning out there. Fared a little better this time: five small ones and one nice one. I'll post a report with the details. I know what you mean about those stumps. I haven't been brave enough to lower my outboard. Instead, I creep across the lake a snails pace behind my anemic 30lbs thrust motorguide.
haha,yeah..didn't intead for it to be that way. Rac mentioned Ohop but I have no clue how the bite is
right now,sadly...I've been hooked on Kapowsin for the last several weeks. Whitman might be worth a look. Thats the
one right next to Tanwax. I havn't been up to Alder for a while but the smallie fishing can be quite good.
My buddy said he's been pulling real nice bass out of ohop fairly consistently. Last time I was there the weather was whipping up whitecaps on the water and haven't been back, I should though!

BrianB
Petty Officer

Post by BrianB » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:00 pm

If the weather holds out, I'll try to knock out a an evening trip to both Tanawax and Ohop before the long weekend - Tanawax is even closer to home than Kapowsin. Where's the public launch on Tanawax? I'm only familiar with the one at the resort. Bait and presentation recommendations for either of these lakes?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:50 pm

Opposite end of the lake. Go on the Mt hiway, hiway 161, from Graham, past the turn for Kapowsin, and you'll get there.

I don't remember how far past the turn for Kapowsin. A couple few miles.

Just before a sharp curve to the right, you'll see it, Thomas Rd E. you turn left on that paved road, go to the one named 'State Game Road' on the map, which is a couple hundred yards or so.

map;

http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp? ... ake&qc=Dam
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

BrianB
Petty Officer

Post by BrianB » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:41 am

Well I made it out to Tanawax last night. Only had about 1.5 hours to fish before darkness closed in. I picked up the nicest LMB I've caught in a long while on a Senko - wife caught a fish too. I think if you have limited time, this lake presents itself as a better option for getting on and off the water quickly, with more time spent fishing, than Kapowsin. I'm really starting to like these State boat ramps. The 10$ they charge over at Spanaway make the quick two-hour-after-work fishing trip less than cost effective.

I do need to mention the ski boat jerk with a boat load of kids who nearly capsized us. Nice lesson for the kids; how to show Zero courtesy to other boaters... I'm sure that on warm weekend days, the skiers/wake boarders make fishing nearly impossible on this lake. That a big plus for Kapowsin - nothing like a few submerged stumps to make everyone behave.

AMX - thanks for the direction. I don't know how I missed that "Public Fishing" sign before.

Brian