Puyallup river new anglers!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
aTrOcIoUs
Petty Officer

Puyallup river new anglers!

Post by aTrOcIoUs » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:04 am

Hello i am new to this site and find it very informative and a nice layout glad i found it. I am a 27yr old and recently started fishing! to tell the least im pretty piss poor at it. which is why im here learning :cheers: So question i hear the salmon run is pretty thick thru the puyallup.

i have read they are hitting on Pink or orange corkies? in the puyallup river?
Also chartreuse corkies and glow yarn pink or orange? any insight would be awesome i have caught a few salmon/steelhead during runs in northern california on kastmasters blue/silver? do they work here?

Also where can i take them that is a nice hole for bank fishing we do not own a boat. we just do this for fun and actually altho we have not caught a single fish in 3 trips out. WERE GONNA GET US A NICE ONE! determination baby!

So questions were where to fish on puyallup and what have u had luck with out there? Please help im sick of bieng stumped while fishing! Ive taken kids out 3 times and am looking like a big loser in the field of fishing! the wife is making fun of me and i have to show her i can catch some fish. . . .

Any help would be very appreciated this site seems to be the best one ive found and looking forward to picking up tips from some of u. Thanks for reading and Happy Fishing fellow anglers!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

uncyboo
Petty Officer

RE:Puyallup river new anglers!

Post by uncyboo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:52 am

I have absolutely nothing to contribute to your plight, however I can tell you that, as a noobie to this sight myself you are in great hands. The people here are very knowlegeable and willing to help. You will soon get the help you need. Good luck.

tommytitan08
Lieutenant

Post by tommytitan08 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:20 pm

Atrocious pm sent. Call me lets get you into some fish.
" It is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6 "

driftercn83
Petty Officer

Post by driftercn83 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:25 pm

I agree your in great hand I nothign to offer since everything I do is different from everyone else and more complex start with the easy thign s throw what you see the old timers using usually they know all the sectret be polite when talking to them ask questions listen intently and thank them you will be a pro in no time go gett em kidd
An old man once told me that if you stick a worm on a hook drop it over the bank you can feed your self for life. I tried it modified it and geez I am beating them off with a broom now.

" Talking about the way it used to be. Skittley dit dat dow doo day. we used to pull Stripers out of san pablo bay. now the delta waters go down so cal and the stripers faded away.." (Primus)

Denman
Petty Officer

Post by Denman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:02 pm

Here it is. Not a big secret, (no need to pm you...everyone knows about it and how to do it.)there's 1,000 people down there fishing this method right now. 15# main line,(I like P-line CXX) 12# maxima leader. 6' leader (some are up to 8', but that length isn't necessary) with 2 #14 corkies on a 1/0 BARBLESS gamikatsu or owner hook. 1/2 oz. cannonball sinker on a #7 swivel. no need for yarn and the color of the corkies doesn't matter either. People claiming that peach, pink, green, yellow or black work better were simply just standing in the right place and getting their line in the right lane as fish pass through. Guys down there all last week and this week were hooking pinks and silvers on a variety of colors...again, the color doesn't matter. Cast where the others do and set the hook when your line stops and it feels sort of rubbery. Usually, there are some pretty nice people down there and wouldn't mind helping you out if you ask. Good luck!

trhyden
Angler

Post by trhyden » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks for the tips Denman. I'm new to the site, just got a fishing license and never caught a salmon. Looking forward to giving it a try!

bluemstr
Angler

Post by bluemstr » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:44 am

Try this - s to use 10#-12# mainline and I use 4'-6' 8# leader (I use Maxima). then two #10 corkies stacked and a toothpick jammed into the top corkie and cut even with top of the corkie. I then use about 2" of pencil lead on a swivel, the mainline is run through the swivel then a bead and then another swivel to the leader. When the waters visibilty improves you may need to go to as light as a 6# leader

have fun and good luck

g

aTrOcIoUs
Petty Officer

Post by aTrOcIoUs » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Welp i got invited out by a guy from this site and i guess a few others are meeting us cant wait to watch and hopefully pull in some fish myself. must say i love this site and the people on it already and how helpful u all are. Glad i decided to post and looking forward to meeting more of u and making a few fishing pals!

Take it easy and hopefully i will have a few pics to post of me and a few new found pals after tommorrow.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:54 pm

Exactly what Denman said. Was there on Thurs...I don't know how many my buddy and I caught. BTW Denman...good to see you again posting. Miss your posts from elsewhere.

Jerry
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:25 pm

I havn't personally fished there yet,a buddy of mine owns a small strip on the northside(also known as the Fife side)
However, the river is only a minute away and I see tons of successful anglers venturing around with their catch,looks like
most folks are walking away pretty happy. I hope to get down there earlier next week,just thought I'd mention it but
Washington State Patrol has been out in force writing parking tickets. Not sure where/what the real issue is,I can only tell
you folks that one problem area has been on and around the weigh station on River Road. Not sure if this information
is really helpful or not...just thought I'd mention it.

samman253
Petty Officer

Post by samman253 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:27 pm

kevinb wrote:I havn't personally fished there yet,a buddy of mine owns a small strip on the northside(also known as the Fife side)
However, the river is only a minute away and I see tons of successful anglers venturing around with their catch,looks like
most folks are walking away pretty happy. I hope to get down there earlier next week,just thought I'd mention it but
Washington State Patrol has been out in force writing parking tickets. Not sure where/what the real issue is,I can only tell
you folks that one problem area has been on and around the weigh station on River Road. Not sure if this information
is really helpful or not...just thought I'd mention it.
yea my friend and i went there 2 days ago and he got a ticket. DON'T park below the fruit stand. other than that the fishings been on fire.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:30 pm

Good point, Kevin. I have heard the same thing...be careful
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tommytitan08
Lieutenant

Post by tommytitan08 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:36 pm

i have also heard they had been towing vehicles parked along river road near the smoke shops and soccer fields. Don't know why? But i heard it's illegal to park there because of it being a state highway. I guess it would be the same as leaving a vehicle on the side of I-5. Don't know if this is true, if any law enforcement members could shed a light on this it would be appreciated
" It is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6 "

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:27 am

I am going tmmrw for the first time. Does anybody know if its being netted tommorow?
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:33 am

I'm scouting today...but if 'the gang' is going Sun, I'd be intrested too if possible!
Thanks,
Mav

aTrOcIoUs
Petty Officer

Post by aTrOcIoUs » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Well Me tommytitan and a few others from this site met up today and i caught 2 pinkies Awesome guys and very helpful i hooked into ALOT MORE and had about 6 at the bank but the 8lb test i had just wasent cutting it and they got off. Tommy caught his limit and gave his pool off to this cute lil girl to bring em in which she did LANDED IT EVEN WHOOT! Was raining and i went in with no waders just flip flops a shirt and shorts but was better then expected and i cant wait to do it again. I will be going to get waders tho and some 12lb pee-line im sure thats spelled wrong the guys told me its good stuff.

Anyway Had a great time thanks to the peeps that met me out there and cant wait to meet some others out there and Catch some Fish If anyone has kids i am taking my 7 and 11yr old down there maybe sunday which is tommorrow. if u got some rascals maybe we can meet up and Do some family fishing always fun watching the kids wrestle with fish!

Thanks again Tommy Jens and kinghunter was a blast hope to see ya guys or meet up again.

clearasian
Angler

Post by clearasian » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:57 am

I live in West Seattle and have absolutely no idea how to get to the Puyallup river or which part to go to. Can someone give me some specific direction?

Thank you,

Brian

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:43 am

clearasian wrote:I live in West Seattle and have absolutely no idea how to get to the Puyallup river or which part to go to. Can someone give me some specific direction?

Thank you,

Brian
look on google maps, look up fife and you will see the river runs under the I5, 509 and the 99. You will also see that the 167 runs right next to the river. All along the river around that area you will fish fishing spots. Once you get there jsut look for all the other cars lined up. :-"

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:09 am

aTrOcIoUs wrote:Well Me tommytitan and a few others from this site met up today and i caught 2 pinkies Awesome guys and very helpful i hooked into ALOT MORE and had about 6 at the bank but the 8lb test i had just wasent cutting it and they got off. Tommy caught his limit and gave his pool off to this cute lil girl to bring em in which she did LANDED IT EVEN WHOOT! Was raining and i went in with no waders just flip flops a shirt and shorts but was better then expected and i cant wait to do it again. I will be going to get waders tho and some 12lb pee-line im sure thats spelled wrong the guys told me its good stuff.

Anyway Had a great time thanks to the peeps that met me out there and cant wait to meet some others out there and Catch some Fish If anyone has kids i am taking my 7 and 11yr old down there maybe sunday which is tommorrow. if u got some rascals maybe we can meet up and Do some family fishing always fun watching the kids wrestle with fish!

Thanks again Tommy Jens and kinghunter was a blast hope to see ya guys or meet up again.
Bro, nice meeting and fishing along side of you as well..you are better than you think you are!! I copied your setup and was hooking them like crazy when you left!! We fished again yesterday and the bite was smoking hot!! Yep, lets get our boys together and take out my boat..
"One more......."

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:28 am

[quote="returnofthefish"]I am going tmmrw for the first time. Does anybody know if its being netted tommorow?[/quote
Per Tommytitan08- they changed up the netsize this year- larger diamter- we fished sunday and there is no difference, the fish are really thick in there. We were catching them almost every cast. :cheers:
"One more......."