42" out of Newman

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Ty
Petty Officer

42" out of Newman

Post by Ty » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:04 am

Seems most people that actually fish for tigers go to some lake calles "Tapps". No need =). Head to Newman lake and throw a bluefox supra vibrax, black with a red streamer.....

I went to work Wednessday for gold seal plumbing like normal, but I knew I was working on a house on Newman lake so I brought my pole =). Took my 15 minute break first thing when I got there, around 7:40am and cast once from shore across the corner of the house owners dock before I moved out onto the dock to try a few casts. Nothing on the corner so I walked out on to the dock and threw my over sized rooster tail along the left shore from the middle of the dock. Three cranks on my bait caster had my rod doubled over and the other apprentice working with me running down the hill to see what I had.

The fish was heading out deep but in the direction of the dock I was on so I kept heavy tention on my 14lb test and started walking off the dock to shore to keep the beast from getting under the dock and breaking me off on the owners diving board/swimming ladder. I knew I had a musky, I just knew it and by the time I got to shore and started moving away from the dock to turn him he was already bee-lining for the dock. That damn swimming ladder was going to be the end of this battle and the fish was well aware of it so I had to take a chance. He had been taking drag most of the time, so I thumbed down and pulled as hard as I thought I could get away with. Luckily it worked! He turned away from the dock and launched full body into the air heading deep! Oh my god what a site! My fellow apprentice' mouth dropped open but no words came out, he was stunned, his eyes were huge.

Once the fish was out of dock swim ladder range I played him a bit before bringing him to shore. As soon as I let off tention the 30lb steel leader I was using dropped off my buck-tail, leaving the fish a flop and tail flip from escape. I grabbed him with both hands and pulled him out of water range. The leaders swivel part, the part that hooks to the lure was nearly straight, only a bit of the tab was not, thank goodness.

I kept this fish. I kept it because I have been trying, very very hard to catch a tiger for three years now and this is my very first one ever. 42" 19lbs6oz. I caught it while "at work" and its by far the biggest freshwater AND saltwater fish Ive ever caught. Im 31 and been fishing most all my life. I took it to Garry Blew of Blew's Taxidery. Its gonna cost me a shitload of money but its gonna be well worth it when this guys on my wall. Garry was nice enough to skin the fish for me AND fillet it so I could have the meat right then and there.

The next tiger I keep will be state record or nothing.

My god I love fishing!

CraigVM62
Petty Officer

RE:42" out of Newman

Post by CraigVM62 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:23 am

WOW ... what a way to start a workday :cheers:

You should look into some of the stronger snap swivels. I have found these to be about the strongest and they are very streamline so nothing sticking out to hang up or cause tangles. I think they are called Scissor Snaps

Dr Hook
Petty Officer

Post by Dr Hook » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:38 am

Congrats on the fish and nice report!

Be very careful talking about keeping your fish Ty. Of the many that I've caught, I've kept 1 musky in my entire life and it was also just over 42" and I was crucified for keeping that fish by a couple guys here. * even called my sponsors to have them quit sponsoring me, then he offered to replace me. One guy even threatened to call my work and complain (I worked at a sporting goods store). So... just a warning...

I like using Sampo ball bearing swivels, their good quality, strong and really help prevent line twist when using spinners.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
St Croix Rods
Frabill Prostaff
Folbe Rod holders
Cannon Downriggers

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:13 am

Ty,

I'd really like to see you post the above on the fishing report form. It would be a nice addition to the data base AND sounds like a great memory for you. Wouldn't you like to be able to pull up this report in ten years to remind yourself of the day's events? Can't do it with the Forum, but you can with the fishing reports. You can copy and paste it right into the report form.

Thanks,
Mike

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:49 am

Sure most anglers release their muskies but state law allows you to keep one of legal size. I don't think any angler should be critized too hard for keeping a legal fish. I kept my first big bass and had it mounted but don't plan on keeping any more of the big boys. I would like the state WDFW to provide some sites where you could keep lunkers in a big aquarium for viewing and breeding purposes -- especially if it were a new state record.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:55 pm

That sounds like a hell of a day at work. Especially that the fish you caught is the offspring to a fish we call the fish of 10,000 casts. It takes people 40 - 60 hours to catch one, and you caught it during a 15 min. work break. You cant beat that. But Dr. hook is right, this isnt a good place to be mentioning that you kept a tiger. Me personally, I have no problem with keeping a LEGAL fish. But some people out there have nothing better to do, than badger someone for keeping a LEGAL fish. I know its sad. But once again GREAT CATCH

Ty
Petty Officer

Post by Ty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:46 am

Thanks for the PM's and advice guys. After that fish I definately need to change leaders and will look into the ones mentioned.

As for me keeping it, well, I did. I won't keep another one unless its throat or gill hooked and has no chance of living or if I think I have a record. You guys can't seriously tell me there are people that get that bent out of shape over keeping a legal fish. This is my third year of musky fishing and that was my very first one ever.

Thanks again all! Good luck out there!

Ty
Petty Officer

Post by Ty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:55 am

I posted it in the reports and also added a picture.

reelinanrockin
Petty Officer

Post by reelinanrockin » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:19 am

You guys can't seriously tell me there are people that get that bent out of shape over keeping a legal fish. This is my third year of musky fishing and that was my very first one ever.

Oh man here we go again. I'm gonna just kick back with a glass of ice tea and watch the fireworks.:-"

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:03 pm

reelinanrockin wrote:
Oh man here we go again. I'm gonna just kick back with a glass of ice tea and watch the fireworks.:-"
You two must either be bored if you want to stir things up again. I think it was the lame fishing video that you two made that started your problems. One would think you'd realize where you went wrong.

reelinanrockin
Petty Officer

Post by reelinanrockin » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:48 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:
reelinanrockin wrote:
You two must either be bored if you want to stir things up again. I think it was the lame fishing video that you two made that started your problems. One would think you'd realize where you went wrong.
Well I guess I am naieve Bill. What was so lame about the video? Where is the problem I have? Where do you think I went wrong with anything?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:41 pm

cough cough. AHEM, say Ty, no picture with the report came through. You can send it to me by e-mail and I'll add it. mike@washingtonlakes.com

Cograts on the fish. I do have a thought that will help everyone out. If for whatever reason an angler decides to keep a Tiger, shot the WDFW a letter or e-mail thanking them for planting these sterile fish and asking them to keep the program active. They are magnificent fish and it would be cool to see this program maintained and not shut down. I think if anglers let WDFW know how much this fishery is appreciated we can keep it going. We can all agree on that, right?

reelinanrockin
Petty Officer

Post by reelinanrockin » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:08 pm

amen to that Mike. Lets keep the tiger program. No doubt we all agree!

The eye of the tiger is the cream of the fight rising up to challenge of our rivial's
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:22 pm

That is so frickin' awesome (pardon my slang)