Best Pierce County evening bite?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BrianB
Petty Officer

Best Pierce County evening bite?

Post by BrianB » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:36 am

Hey All

Which eastern Pierce County lake would you recommend for evening fishing (LMB or SMB) ? I'm in the Spanaway/Elk Plain area and would like to get some after work fishing in while we still have some Summer left. What about Kapowsin?

Thanks, brian

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Best Pierce County evening bite?

Post by Amx » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:08 pm

Kapowsin, Ohop, Tanwax. Couple more down there that should be good.
Tom.

Interests: living

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Kapowsin is good for the evening bite, but bring your pistol for the meth heads...
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:36 pm

What about Rapjohn? Just up the highway from Elk Plain. You could go one evening and report back to us as to the evening bite.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:36 am

Hey Brian, Kapowsin has had a pretty good evening bite lately.
I've had some success with frogs and poppers. I've been taking the family
out here quite a bit and found that even the basics of a worm and bobber can and
usually will be very productive,granted,most of the time they will be a little small but
there are times when you can land something a little more chunky. We've also had great success
at catching some hefty bluegills using the same technique from the shoreline.

I've been fishing Kapowsin for many years and its had its ups and downs in terms of
clients but safety and security has improved dramatically,WDFW and the Pierce County Sheriffs
Office make several trips in here daily and that alone has seemed to curb most of the negatives(methheads):thumbdown

Tanwax is another option but the bass have not been as kind to me here recently. Everyone else
is catching them.

Goodluck and keep us posted.

BrianB
Petty Officer

Post by BrianB » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks for good info. I'm going to try and hit Kapowsin sometime this week - hopefully Wednesday. I took a ride out to Tanawax this past Saturday. Seemed like there were a lot of skier/wakeboats on the water - one of the reasons I avoid Lake Spanaway on a nice day.

See you on the water, Brian

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Let me know how you do. I will be going to Kapowsin on the 6th with a couple buddies.
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:21 pm

I'll be making a few trips to Kapowsin this week,just might see you folks out there.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:02 pm

kevinb wrote:Hey Brian, Kapowsin has had a pretty good evening bite lately.
I've had some success with frogs and poppers. I've been taking the family
out here quite a bit and found that even the basics of a worm and bobber can and
usually will be very productive,granted,most of the time they will be a little small but
there are times when you can land something a little more chunky. We've also had great success
at catching some hefty bluegills using the same technique from the shoreline.

I've been fishing Kapowsin for many years and its had its ups and downs in terms of
clients but safety and security has improved dramatically,WDFW and the Pierce County Sheriffs
Office make several trips in here daily and that alone has seemed to curb most of the negatives(methheads):thumbdown

Tanwax is another option but the bass have not been as kind to me here recently. Everyone else
is catching them.

Goodluck and keep us posted.
Kapow is a Diamond in the rough. My brother and I have a history of trolling to our duck blind ;)

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:16 pm

kevinb wrote:I'll be making a few trips to Kapowsin this week,just might see you folks out there.
Hey Kevin let me know if you go on the 6th I will look for you

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:34 pm

skimpy wrote:
kevinb wrote:I'll be making a few trips to Kapowsin this week,just might see you folks out there.
More then likely I will be here,I'm planning on taking the family and my brother inlaw out for a little bass trip...or
play the desperate game of "anything with fins"

I'm sure a few folks will think I've gone crazy or more crazy but I believe this lake has potential
to kickout a state record. Is their a state record bass in Kapowsin?,I don't know...doubt it, just saying it has "potential"
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:37 pm

kevinb wrote:
skimpy wrote:
More then likely I will be here,I'm planning on taking the family and my brother inlaw out for a little bass trip...or
play the desperate game of "anything with fins"

I'm sure a few folks will think I've gone crazy or more crazy but I believe this lake has potential
to kickout a state record. Is their a state record bass in Kapowsin?,I don't know...doubt it, just saying it has "potential"
Possible?? It's low pressure, and a great habitat!

BrianB
Petty Officer

Post by BrianB » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Just a quick update. My wife and I hit Kapowsin these past two evenings. I posted a report so I won't go into the details here. Over all the fishing was a bit slow - but we did catch fish. I'm sure the key is knowing where, and what, to fish. I agree, this lake looks like it has some potential. And, with it being only 10.7 miles from my driveway, I don't see a reason why I shouldn't fish it all the time. Barring the "R" word, I plan on being out there tomorrow morning.

see you on the water, Brian

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:49 pm

My votes are Kapowsin,Tanwax,Ohop,and American.Next is I think its Medical Lake?
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:43 pm

Thanks for the update Brian,sorry the fishing wasn't as productive but I can assure you that
"normally" this lake does pretty well. One hotspot seems to be around the island. Some of my favorite spots are
fishing near the shoreline east of the WDFW launch and Erickson's Resort. I don't see to many boats drift in this area.Its
either because they don't know or I'm a kind of idiot. Well its probably the 2nd option(lol) tons of downed trees(its hard to navigate through here) Because of such hangups(stumps,weeds,downed trees,etc) I typically use my muskie setup which
consists of 80lb braided line with a 150lb flouro leader. By no means is this neccesary,this is just what I use the majority of the time.

Now for the safety dork in me to come out and I should have mentioned this prior.
Anyone not familiar with this lake and planning on dropping in a boat,be advised....stumps everywhere and I mean everywhere. I hate to admit it but still to this day I find myself and my boat meeting them. OUCH! There has been many
fatalities here and can only assume that some of those are the result of poor water clarity and the stumps that seem to hide just under the surface,I'll also assume that because of this or at least in part,this is why this lake receives little
pressure. Anyhow,I'll now step down from the soapbox. This lake has an amazing fishery and I encourage everyone
to check it out,the same as any body of water,use your head and take your time. The goal is to have a safe and memorable trip,no need to throttle up,just take your time.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:58 am

kevinb wrote: Now for the safety dork in me to come out and I should have mentioned this prior.
Anyone not familiar with this lake and planning on dropping in a boat,be advised....stumps everywhere and I mean everywhere. I hate to admit it but still to this day I find myself and my boat meeting them. OUCH! There has been many
fatalities here and can only assume that some of those are the result of poor water clarity and the stumps that seem to hide just under the surface,I'll also assume that because of this or at least in part,this is why this lake receives little
pressure. Anyhow,I'll now step down from the soapbox. This lake has an amazing fishery and I encourage everyone
to check it out,the same as any body of water,use your head and take your time. The goal is to have a safe and memorable trip,no need to throttle up,just take your time.
trolling speed only for sure. Even with one guy hanging over the bow watching for stumps and one guy very slow on the motor, you still will hit stumps from time to time. Often you NEVER see them until your boat connects. I've been visiting this lake for 10 years, and my dad fished/hunted it for another 15 before that. It's just one of those lakes where I don't stayout after dusk, and I don't open up the outboard to full throttle... ever.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:58 am

You CAN run to the south end of the lake on plane and at speed.I've done it following my brother. And a person did it in the dark the first time he was on the lake. After the sun came up he about sh-- Image Image But I'm not going to tell you where. Image
Tom.

Interests: living

BrianB
Petty Officer

Post by BrianB » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:44 pm

Wow, this thread is quickly becoming a Kapowsin thread. Looks like there might be enough interest to start a dedicated Kapowsin thread to discuss this lake in a little more detail. Anyway, I spent the morning out there. Fared a little better this time: five small ones and one nice one. I'll post a report with the details. I know what you mean about those stumps. I haven't been brave enough to lower my outboard. Instead, I creep across the lake a snails pace behind my anemic 30lbs thrust motorguide.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:00 pm

BrianB wrote:Wow, this thread is quickly becoming a Kapowsin thread. Looks like there might be enough interest to start a dedicated Kapowsin thread to discuss this lake in a little more detail. Anyway, I spent the morning out there. Fared a little better this time: five small ones and one nice one. I'll post a report with the details. I know what you mean about those stumps. I haven't been brave enough to lower my outboard. Instead, I creep across the lake a snails pace behind my anemic 30lbs thrust motorguide.
haha,yeah..didn't intead for it to be that way. Rac mentioned Ohop but I have no clue how the bite is
right now,sadly...I've been hooked on Kapowsin for the last several weeks. Whitman might be worth a look. Thats the
one right next to Tanwax. I havn't been up to Alder for a while but the smallie fishing can be quite good.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:14 pm

Amx wrote:You CAN run to the south end of the lake on plane and at speed.I've done it following my brother. And a person did it in the dark the first time he was on the lake. After the sun came up he about sh-- Image Image But I'm not going to tell you where. Image
You can but I wouldn't advise it,if your comfortable with that,then by all means. Anyone not familiar
with the lake should take their time. I've been fishing here a very long time and I still get surprises.
The fish aren't going anywhere,so for me personally,I see no reason to hussle.The risks are just
to damn high.