what is your "GO TO" color for bass?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bass Woody
Petty Officer

what is your "GO TO" color for bass?

Post by Bass Woody » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:22 am

I have only been bass fishing for around 5 years or so. As all bass fisher people know when you get to that store you are bombarded with many color choices, which is cool but very costly to a budget fisher. being on a budget it is hard to walk away with questions of did i pick the right color? that question could go on forever. so for more knowledge for me and the others how about listing your always buy color no matter what lure or bait...spinners,jigs,worms,poppers,cranks, ect........
Attachments
camara_phone_032.jpg
camara_phone_032.jpg (320.62 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
LIP RIPPER

Dustin07
Commodore

RE:what is your "GO TO" color for bass?

Post by Dustin07 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:30 am

That's more than a limit of ducks there! Nice greenheads though-
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:32 am

Chartruse/Firetiger.
Tom.

Interests: living

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:31 pm

Not sure why you included a duck photo with a fishing question, but it did remind me of days gone by.:colors:

I don't believe in a "go to" color. Nevertheless, if in dirty or stained water, Chartreuse is a good color to mix into the pattern.

On clear water, I kind of like pumpkin seed as an option, followed by Silver/Black.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:36 pm

No "favorites" but as far as "Patterns" I like Perch-RBT-Bluegill-Crappie-Crawdad,..since you'll find these species as the main forage for allot of the lakes in Washington,..but I'd say if I wasn't throwing Big Swimbaits or Big Jigs then my go to would be the Jointed-Perch-Rap/Jointed-Baby-Bass JSR5 or JSR7,..these rattling-suspending lures have done really well for me in the past on almost EVERY body of water I've Bassed on from Wetern Wa 2 Eastern Wa!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:27 pm

Read the book titled, "What Fish See," by Dr. Colin Kageyama (Sp??). While he focuses on mainly the torpedo fish (salmonids), there is a section on bass. Reading this book has enlightened me to make good color choices. I too am on a budget and have been fishing for bass about the same period as you. The book has helped me a great deal and I believe it will also help you.

I don't have a "go to" color(s) per say because I have learned that not all lakes are equal in clarity and content. Some colors appear to be more productive in one body a little more than another.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:32 pm

Good lead on the book islandbass ... am going to look into getting that book. Things that can help me begin to understand the fish I am hunting will only help in the search for that lunker.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

jf0
Petty Officer

Post by jf0 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:53 pm

I created an organized "cheat sheet" for this and am working on some revisions. You can see it here as well as other comments related to your question.

http://washingtonlakes.com/forum/yaf_po ... Guide.aspx

Bass Woody
Petty Officer

Post by Bass Woody » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm

I guess there are so many reasons and factors for buying a certain color and i understand that. maybe i should of said.. what if you walked into a store with just enough to get one pack or one lure, however u wanna put it, what color would it be?as of the duck picture it was a mistake as it was next to the picture i wanted to put up but oh well waterfowlin is my passion. oh and thats 2 hunters harvest.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIP RIPPER

Bass Woody
Petty Officer

Post by Bass Woody » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:37 pm

islandbass wrote:Read the book titled, "What Fish See," by Dr. Colin Kageyama (Sp??). While he focuses on mainly the torpedo fish (salmonids), there is a section on bass. Reading this book has enlightened me to make good color choices. I too am on a budget and have been fishing for bass about the same period as you. The book has helped me a great deal and I believe it will also help you.

I don't have a "go to" color(s) per say because I have learned that not all lakes are equal in clarity and content. Some colors appear to be more productive in one body a little more than another.
Thanks for the knowledge of a interesting book. I am going to find it now!
LIP RIPPER

Teal101
Warrant Officer

Post by Teal101 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:53 pm

Chart for stained water. Smoke or black/blue combo for clear. Watermelon or pumpkin always seem to be good choices as well.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:00 pm

Teal101 wrote:Black/blue combo for clear. Watermelon or pumpkin always seem to be good choices as well.
Yup, yup. I also like black/blue jigs for low light situations just for the profile. Watermelon or Green Pumkin for plastics/creatures, plus I'll add June Bug in there too.
For spinners and buzzes - white.
For cranks - trout, craw/firetiger
and swimbaits, trout and bluegill. Never had much luck with the perch colors.

You give me one option for one lure, one color - 1/2oz. black/blue jig with a fat 4.20 sweet beaver trailer.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:26 pm

Bass Woody wrote:
islandbass wrote:Read the book titled, "What Fish See," by Dr. Colin Kageyama (Sp??). While he focuses on mainly the torpedo fish (salmonids), there is a section on bass. Reading this book has enlightened me to make good color choices. I too am on a budget and have been fishing for bass about the same period as you. The book has helped me a great deal and I believe it will also help you.

Biskit and Bass Woody,

Just check it out from your local library. That is what I did. After I read it, I realized that this book was a keeper and then I bought it. I have seen this book on the shelf at Wholesale sports, formerly Sportsmans warehouse.

Bass Woody
Petty Officer

Post by Bass Woody » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:14 am

islandbass wrote:
Bass Woody wrote:

Biskit and Bass Woody,

Just check it out from your local library. That is what I did. After I read it, I realized that this book was a keeper and then I bought it. I have seen this book on the shelf at Wholesale sports, formerly Sportsmans warehouse.
I found it online for around 20 bucks. huh.. 20 buck i could by 3 more bags of senkos...hahaha. Im funny. thanks for the tip
LIP RIPPER

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:28 am

islandbass wrote:
Bass Woody wrote:

Biskit and Bass Woody,

Off to the library I go ... always forget about this free resource. THanks!
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:52 am

Green Pumpkin with Green Pumpkin trailors. Stick with this and you will catch fish it may be only 2-5 fish but they will be nice. Thats for Jigs Strike King or Booyah are very good jigs. Worms Black, Green Pumpkin, June Bug, Grape shad. Read something on matching the hach. This will help you more than any thing. Good Luck! HAWG HUNTER!!
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Watermelon for worms, firetiger for cranks

BrianB
Petty Officer

Post by BrianB » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:55 pm

I’ve always had good luck with firetiger or perch crankbaits – a close second would be crawfish. For plastics, I’d say green pumpkins or watermelon. Chartreuse n white for spinner and buzzbaits. - Brian

marktfd88
Petty Officer

Post by marktfd88 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:01 am

Most of the time it truely is NOT about color. It is much more about presentation. What are you making that lure DO, than the color that will get you the strike. So my suggestion is, buy what color you have confidence in. Then go to your local fishing hole and learn how to use that lure under a variety of retrieve's / actions / styles of fishing. Learn the subtle differences that line will impart on the lure. What about spinning rod vs baitcasting on the baits action. Different hook sizes, etc. These are all the questions a bass angler needs to ask ( and answer ) to get better. As for me, what color do I use. The one that is working for that day. Of course I carry way to much gear, ( just ask Dez or WCCT ), and I am not married to a single color. I will use whatever color gets the bite.

Mark
Limit Out Performance Marine
Powell Rods
P-Line
Owner Hooks

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:46 am

marktfd88 wrote:Most of the time it truely is NOT about color. It is much more about presentation. What are you making that lure DO, than the color that will get you the strike. So my suggestion is, buy what color you have confidence in. Then go to your local fishing hole and learn how to use that lure under a variety of retrieve's / actions / styles of fishing. Learn the subtle differences that line will impart on the lure. What about spinning rod vs baitcasting on the baits action. Different hook sizes, etc. These are all the questions a bass angler needs to ask ( and answer ) to get better. As for me, what color do I use. The one that is working for that day. Of course I carry way to much gear, ( just ask Dez or WCCT ), and I am not married to a single color. I will use whatever color gets the bite.

Mark
Trust me , any man that wears pink shorts on tourney day , is very confident in his color selection !! Mark is correct with presention in regards to selecting colors .. IMO color doesnt mean that the fish will eat it , but it very well may hold a bass attention long enough so that the action of that particular bait may produce a strike . Perfect example , during the spring season , RED is a go to color of mine But that only applies to mainly reaction baits like cranks, rattletraps, etc .. But no im not throwing a red grub on a football head just because that color is hot on my reaction lures ... :batman:

BBD
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant