Fix broken fly rod

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Kfedka
Commander

Fix broken fly rod

Post by Kfedka » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:36 am

I purchased my fly rod combo for $44 locally. Its a basic one and I'm a newbie so it works fine for me. The other day I realized it is broken. The rod is made up of 3 parts each about 3ft long.

The part the broker was the middle piece towards the bottom about 3 inches of it. Is there any way I can repair it or glue it together?

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

RE:Fix broken fly rod

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:37 am

can you return to the store and get a refund or replacement?

That would be choice number 1.

Choice number two would be to fix it your self. You will need to place a sleeve over the broken section. The sleeve would be a piece of tubing/blank from some other broken rod that you might have.

this link has the step by step instructions http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/repair-oquinn.html

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:48 pm

i would too
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:01 am

Shad has posted the best tutorial on rod repair on the Internet. It comes from a no BS site. Read it carefully and then go out and purchase a new rod. :-) The rod can be repaired successfully if you follow the instructions carefully. If you have someone repair it it will cost at least $25.00 maybe more. Just replacing a guide is 8 to 20 bucks plus parts. I wish you luck. Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”