Skagit Kings

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
rseas
Commander

RE:Skagit Kings

Post by rseas » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:18 am

BTW, after I get the yard work done I'll be back out on the river...

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:04 pm

Seriously...? There was a wild king salmon opener this weekend and not even a peep about it on this forum? I went out twice but didn't catch a thing. THIS IS NOT A REPORT!!
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:09 pm

a 52 pounder was caught
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:13 am

Curado - Did you fish the Skagit? Any pics of the 52 pounder? Need some fish Pr0n.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:20 am

no pics a friend of my dads was told by some one
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

mallard433
Petty Officer

Post by mallard433 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:45 pm

drove to the skagit to see were to luanch my boat water look good saw a few fish roll but forgot to throw a poll in the truck i didnt remember till i was there lots of boats in the parking lot will hit it to marow for the first time will post a report after

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:03 pm

Been seeing a LOT of boats on the north fork each day, and few scattered further upstream today.

Guess there is a pic of a forty-something pounder at Holiday Sports that was just caught.
Haven't made it out myself...too many "excuses."

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:53 pm

I need a little advice on fishing the Skagit. I have a North River Seahawk and I've fished the Columbia a lot so I have all the anchoring gear. I'm experienced at anchor fishing on a river, wrapped Kwikfish, spinners, Clancys, you name it I've got it. I'm retired, I fish only on weekdays so I wont add to the herd on weekends. What I need to know is where to launch on the lower river prob below the forks. I dont really know my way around up there, I live in Bothell.

Thanks

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:24 pm

There is a boat launch under the south fork bridge where you cross from Conway to Fir Island.

There is a boat launch just down stream of the North fork bridge (rexville to fir island, on the island side), I believe it is off Rawlins Road. There will be signage along Fir Island Road.

I believe there is a launch on West Side Mount Vernon as well, just upstream of the fork. Exit 226, cross the river on W. Division Street and take an immediate left. There is a park with ball fields and play equipment...haven't been here in some time, but I can't see it being gone! LOL!

Those are the three furthest downstream I'm aware of.
Further uprivier, there is a launch off Gardener Road in Burlington...best accessed by out-of-towners by taking Hwy 20 1.5-2mi east, watching for Gardener Rd on the right.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:25 pm

Barchaser,
I-5 north to LaConner exit (before you get to Mt Vermin), go west on the Fir Island Rd from Conway, over the south fork, and look for the signs for Blakes. They are on Rawlins Rd and I believe its $10 for the launch. If you go over the North fork you've gone too far. Most of the hog lines are upstream of the North fork bridge and to just above the forks. If you're running a prop instead of a pump watch for wood as the Skagits full of it. If you have a prop stay out of the South fork as its loaded with wood.
I agree with you on not fishing weekends. Weekdays are crowded enough. Being retired has its advantages!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's short - fish hard!

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:52 pm

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

tallman8251
Petty Officer

Post by tallman8251 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:28 pm

yep the boat ramp across from downtown Mount Vernon Exit 226, is still there. Probably one of the best to launch out of. But watch out for the Mosquitos. They will eat you alive!
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallard433
Petty Officer

Post by mallard433 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:56 pm

any body now how the river is this week was there last week and saw a few rolling my brother in lew messed up reading the tied book the day before and it through our day off any tips or info is nice

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:44 am

The river looks like…it’s been said a vanilla milkshake. This weekend while out I stuck my hand in the water and couldn’t see my fingertips. I fished various areas and the north fork all weekend with no luck. More importantly I saw very few fish on the meter and only one fish roll. I believe that with the lack of rain all the fish are sitting out in the salt off Hope Island and Deception pass.

On the way out of the water last night I spoke with the WDFG biologist and for last weeks opener (7/30-8/2) they did not check a single fish for the Skagit system. That is 3 ½ days, 35 miles of river and 0 fish. Of well, bring on the humpies!!!

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:56 pm

Talked with the WSFG biologist today and she said that there was a nice king and a handful of humpies taken in the lower river. No pattern developing yet, one on pink plastic eggs, one on sand shrimp and some on hardware. Although we didn’t fish, the river looked better than has in weeks. It is green with almost a foot of visibility. Too bad the chinook season will be closing…just when the river is starting to look good.

CRW
Petty Officer

Post by CRW » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Well I planned on giving it one last try this weekend, for the Chinook.

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:20 am

I hope we get some good information today. I really want to get down there for this last weekend. The wife might have other plans for me but if it is lights out down there (doubt it) I'll have to pull out the man card and go. Gook luck out there and please share your reports. This may be the best chance at one of those Skagit Kings. It is a shame that the season ends at almost the peak of the run and this is the only weekend after the net quota was reached. Sporties should get at least two weeks after the nets given the inefficiency of our technique vs gill nets. Come on!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:55 pm

plunking shrimp cocktail with a black ear plug steelhead rag

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU