Spinning Reels & Gear !

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
loucipher
Petty Officer

RE:Spinning Reels & Gear !

Post by loucipher » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:43 pm

The Quadfather wrote:Dez is my hero. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: The things he does with topwater frogs are amazing.:clown: :clown:
please finish your frog story for all to see and read.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:39 am

I love to use both and I see both as tools. There are certain applications where one might outshine the other, but for many applications, both will work just fine. I don't get caught up in the perceived snobbery if you ain't using a casting reel, you ain't bassin'. Whatever.:brilsmurf

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:26 am

I use both. A couple of the things I see:
Casting, Spinning gets me distance and Baitcasters get me accuracy.
Spinning doesn't handle loose line as well as Baitcasters - If I am jigging or twitching, I want a Baitcaster.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:07 am

loucipher wrote:
The Quadfather wrote:Dez is my hero. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: The things he does with topwater frogs are amazing.:clown: :clown:
please finish your frog story for all to see and read.
if you think hes good with frogs you should see him on roller skates amazing:compress:
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

Teal101
Warrant Officer

Post by Teal101 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:19 am

Baitcasters. I used spinning gear 100% up until this year. i now have 2 casting setups and 2 spinning setups. The casting setups get 95% of the use now. I like the lack of line twist, it just looks more natural bringing a plastic back imo. I also tend to be able to cast baitcasters farther and more accurate, but thats just me. Just got a new Curado last night and casting with it was amazing.

And so far this year I've had my share of "professional overruns". I haven't had any that I haven't been able to pull right out except for this last weekend. I had one I had to pick out. They're less than frequent and after dialing in the reel and learning how it casts with the rod they're non existent.

BucketMouthCatcher
Petty Officer

Post by BucketMouthCatcher » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:27 am

Teal101 wrote: I had one I had to pick out.
go check out the link I posted in this thread. The thumb trick for getting those backlashes out with ease REALLY works.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:36 am

Nice catches for 2009 so far BMC,..way 2 get em!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:55 am

Teal101 wrote:Baitcasters. I used spinning gear 100% up until this year. i now have 2 casting setups and 2 spinning setups. The casting setups get 95% of the use now. I like the lack of line twist, it just looks more natural bringing a plastic back imo. I also tend to be able to cast baitcasters farther and more accurate, but thats just me. Just got a new Curado last night and casting with it was amazing.

And so far this year I've had my share of "professional overruns". I haven't had any that I haven't been able to pull right out except for this last weekend. I had one I had to pick out. They're less than frequent and after dialing in the reel and learning how it casts with the rod they're non existent.
Pick out? Man I've had some of the worst backlashes where I couldn't even pick it out. I had to respool because the entire thing was such a mess and I couldn't pick or pull it out. These days I cast fine with the occasional backlash that I have to pick out but recently its only been happening when my senko decides to tear off, leaving just my hook pulling the reel. Last bad one was when the hook of my jig caught my other rod that was placed behind me...one of the worse backlashes but I somehow picked it out.

I do enjoy casting with a baitcaster alot more than spinning. It's fun, fast, and so much easier to reel in, click, cast, repeat. much faster than casting with spin reel.

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:09 am

Once you go baitcaster, you never go back. I only use spinning reels if the gear I'm using is too light to cast with a baitcaster. Which isn't very often.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:44 am

Okay , im not sure how i missed this thread but allow me to clear up a few things .. First of all "rollerskates" REALLY!! ..LOL Okay so here is my eight pack ! 4 baitcasters 4 spinning reals / Large topwater, spinnerbaits, jigs, DD 22's , Frogs, footballheads , tubes all go on the baitcasters !!! I mainly use my spinning gear for my 2-15ft cranks "two rods" , jerk baits "one rod" , dropshot "one rod" .....

Since im on the subject here let me point out a few of the logistics behind my methods of madness ..lol Iv been cranking 2-15 ft cranks on spinning gear "forever" . What i doing is using 8lb test line on those reels and i set my drag kinda lose , what im doing here is creating a "shock absorber" When i get one of those arrgressive strikes from those smallies that drag has the perfert amount resistance to burry the hook and also allow the fish not to yank those trebs out on the strike . The benifit behind this is that i land the majority of my crank fish that way ..If you notice with smallies allot of those strikes happens right at the boat , "as soon as the bait makes a different directional change" WACK! Also if you notice i said im using "8lb" test , this is IMO spinning gear line , it will offer longer castabilty and in many case allow those shallow running cranks to get down a little deeper ..

Lets talk about Jerks on spinning gear , Same premise as cranks as far my "shock absorber theory" ! again im using 8lb test and throwing LC pointers , Suspending Smithwick , etc .. The spinning gear for me allows for more controll on my jerks and also better castabilty .. I will point out the using the rapala loop knots on these baits will improve the action of those baits "field tested and approved" !! ...

So when you break these reels of mine down what you have is the best of both worlds , Baitcasting for "Power Fishing bigger baits" and Spinning gear my Finesse Applications including shallow running cranks ...

Iv lived in other states and fished different bodies of water for both LMB and also smallies , There is a time and place for each of my rigs and i know when to pick up a certain rod and reel combo based on the type of conditions im face with .. I have to stress that im not concered with what "Looks Cool" when im out on the lake , but at the same time if i do detect that a partiular set of mine does offer enuff power or is overpowering i will ask for advise and make the proper adjustments I.E MY NEW 7'9" Lamiglas "GRASS ROD" for all my Froging and jiging needs .. Thanks Tag watson and Marc Marantonio "Lamiglas pro staffers for the great suggestion and i love both of those new rods ...The other rod is a Skeet Rease cranking stick 7' 6" for my "dd 22's " ....

Hopefuly this adds a little more detail insight into "My Style" of bassing here in Washington !!!

BBD :batman:

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:25 am

Drewp wrote:Once you go baitcaster, you never go back. I only use spinning reels if the gear I'm using is too light to cast with a baitcaster. Which isn't very often.
Not true. Even you go resort to spinning. :compress: Just ribbin' you. :-" I know what you mean. BC reels are sweet and like you I will use them for most of the usual techniques and leave spinning for the lighter things. I might be weird, but I like the feel when working jerk baits with a spinning reel. I think because the reel is underneath the rod, it just feels better to me.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:07 pm

islandbass wrote:
Drewp wrote:Once you go baitcaster, you never go back. I only use spinning reels if the gear I'm using is too light to cast with a baitcaster. Which isn't very often.
Not true. Even you go resort to spinning. :compress: Just ribbin' you. :-" I know what you mean. BC reels are sweet and like you I will use them for most of the usual techniques and leave spinning for the lighter things. I might be weird, but I like the feel when working jerk baits with a spinning reel. I think because the reel is underneath the rod, it just feels better to me.
And thats was mainly my point of my response on this topic , Comfort plays a big role when tossing Hard baits , my thing is that if it works for you and your not losing Fish , Whats the "true" motivation for change ? There are many pro's that use spinning gear for top water plugs using a braid to floro leader mix , as well as dropshoting with the same set up also .. I bed you guys to watch a season of FLW and look at the amount of pro 's that are using spinning gear and what presentations they are using them for and keep in mind that "every Fish" means the world to them ..

To be honest with ya i just started using my spinning reel with thin braid and an a floro leader for my smaller topwater plugs based on what i witness a pro doing the samething while fishing in the 2007 FLW cup championship . He broke down his theory about his set up and why he has great confidence behind it ..
Okay im all done here because Two Cents these days dont go to far ! just wanted to point out the "WHY FACTOR" ...and NO , you will not catch BBD in a pair of rollerskates anytime soon, im to worried about Flippen over some Fool (play on words) ..lmao :clown:

BBD

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:20 pm

yikes
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

Teal101
Warrant Officer

Post by Teal101 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:37 pm

ckim85 wrote:
Teal101 wrote:Baitcasters. I used spinning gear 100% up until this year. i now have 2 casting setups and 2 spinning setups. The casting setups get 95% of the use now. I like the lack of line twist, it just looks more natural bringing a plastic back imo. I also tend to be able to cast baitcasters farther and more accurate, but thats just me. Just got a new Curado last night and casting with it was amazing.

Pick out? Man I've had some of the worst backlashes where I couldn't even pick it out. I had to respool because the entire thing was such a mess and I couldn't pick or pull it out. These days I cast fine with the occasional backlash that I have to pick out but recently its only been happening when my senko decides to tear off, leaving just my hook pulling the reel. Last bad one was when the hook of my jig caught my other rod that was placed behind me...one of the worse backlashes but I somehow picked it out.

I do enjoy casting with a baitcaster alot more than spinning. It's fun, fast, and so much easier to reel in, click, cast, repeat. much faster than casting with spin reel.
I've never had to respool:-" Usually i justpull the line out as far as it will go until the knot. Then when you find the main line trace it back. Theres usually a loop that you can pick out and wallah line is free. With fluoro though its pointless because you need to cut it at the kink...:-({|=

Then again i thumb my spool pretty good so if i feel a backlash coming on I can stop the spool asap and keep it form getting bad. I only had one stop my lure mid flight and thats the one I had to pick out...

Baitcasters for life:bigsmurf:

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:48 pm

flippinfool wrote:yikes

lmao !!! :clown:

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

BucketMouthCatcher
Petty Officer

Post by BucketMouthCatcher » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:27 pm

BassinBomber wrote:Nice catches for 2009 so far BMC,..way 2 get em!

BB
Thanks man :salut:

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:55 pm

Bigbass Dez wrote:
islandbass wrote:
And thats was mainly my point of my response on this topic , Comfort plays a big role when tossing Hard baits , my thing is that if it works for you and your not losing Fish , Whats the "true" motivation for change ? There are many pro's that use spinning gear for top water plugs using a braid to floro leader mix , as well as dropshoting with the same set up also .. I bed you guys to watch a season of FLW and look at the amount of pro 's that are using spinning gear and what presentations they are using them for and keep in mind that "every Fish" means the world to them ..

To be honest with ya i just started using my spinning reel with thin braid and an a floro leader for my smaller topwater plugs based on what i witness a pro doing the samething while fishing in the 2007 FLW cup championship . He broke down his theory about his set up and why he has great confidence behind it ..
Okay im all done here because Two Cents these days dont go to far ! just wanted to point out the "WHY FACTOR" ...and NO , you will not catch BBD in a pair of rollerskates anytime soon, im to worried about Flippen over some Fool (play on words) ..lmao :clown:

BBD
Well said, BBD. I actually like using braid for topwater treble lures. Didn't I see you skatin' around green lake the other day?#-o :dwarf:

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:21 am

BucketMouthCatcher wrote:
BassinBomber wrote:Nice catches for 2009 so far BMC,..way 2 get em!

BB
Thanks man :salut:
Cool,..rather impressive bud!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:59 am

Dez, please elaborate on your rod and reel selection. I want to delve deeper into the mind of a bass fishing madman. Congrats on your new Lamiglas sticks. You are ready for battle!

For smallies, I probably use 80% baitcasting and 20% spinning. For largemouth, I rarely ever use spinning tackle.

I find myself more and more using braid to a long fluorocarbon leader for many spinning reel applications. Longer casts, better hooksets, more sensitivity, ability to use heavier fluoro while eliminating line twist, more strength and durability, etc. However, I still prefer straight fluoro for dropshotting and a few other finesse techniques.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:16 am

tagwatson360 wrote:Dez, please elaborate on your rod and reel selection. I want to delve deeper into the mind of a bass fishing madman. Congrats on your new Lamiglas sticks. You are ready for battle!

For smallies, I probably use 80% baitcasting and 20% spinning. For largemouth, I rarely ever use spinning tackle.

I find myself more and more using braid to a long fluorocarbon leader for many spinning reel applications. Longer casts, better hooksets, more sensitivity, ability to use heavier fluoro while eliminating line twist, more strength and durability, etc. However, I still prefer straight fluoro for dropshotting and a few other finesse techniques.

Taggy , i use 12lb Power Pro braid with a 2-3ft 10lb Fluoro leader on a 6'8" lami for my smaller sammys and all my jerkbaits . This was the my go to rig back here on Banks when i would alternate between the sammy and the spinnerbait .. What this set up does for me is Mix a small amount more power in my line strenght by way of 12-15 lb braid which has line diameter of 2-4lb test (extremly longer cast) and with no stretch allows me to catch up with the fish much quicker than mono . the leader i use is simply just to serve are low line visability to the fish looking at that top water bait or jerk bait. What iv experienced since iv been doing this is that allot of the times when i get a fish to WACK that bait when it's far away from me im able to minimize me being able to catch up with the fish after the strike has accured within just a few turns of the handle (No stretch) ..Also what iv noticed that braid allows me to either move those baits Slower if i choose to with minimum movement from the rod tip (smaller twitches).. Before When i used copolymer and Mono for this same application i didnt have as much detailed controll of moving those baits and also i didnt feel the softer settle strikes on my jerk baits as i do now ...

I dont run this same set up on my drop shot , it strickly 6-8lb , but i will point out that i will be experimenting with 12-15lb braid to my fluro leader on my Football for deeper water presentations this winter when those smallies push out , iv yet to do so but im feel pretty confident at this point that i will be able to detect deeper rocks and wood better and also allowing for more sensitivity of stricks , but in this case it wil be on my bait caster because im talking jigs up to 1oz in wieght ...

So thats the 5-50ft into the mind of a bass fishing madman ... :-({|=

BBD

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member