Need Okanogan references

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Need Okanogan references

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:36 pm

I am taking about 4 days over in Okanogan county. I will be anywhere over there you send me, but I know the area around Tonasket the best. Can anyone who knows this county, refer me to lakes that you recommend.
Both bass and trout. Probably pretty hot water over there right now for trout maybe. ( I guess I don't care what species) I realize I can search the website by county, but I'd rather here it from you guys.

I don't care how far around the county it is. Also lakes that have a boat lauch are better.
I'd rather stay away from big resort type places like Conconully.

Thanks in advance
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Need Okanogan references

Post by Bodofish » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:33 pm

conconully is a big lake. Stay away from the reservoir. Good for both bass and trout. Up at the very end is a rough boat launch and camp sites if you don't mind unimproved. or stay in town and dump the boat in by the day. I've never had a crowd on the lake even on big weekends. all the folks I ran into were very nice and the lake was very quiet.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:53 pm

Conconully reservoir is small, but everyone is fishing for trout... and there are some healthy smallies in there.
Attachments
smallie.jpg
smallie.jpg (132.12 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:09 pm

Whitestone Lake is great for bass and other warm water species.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:12 pm

One of my buddys spent a lot of time growing up in the tonasket area and he wants to take me up there to those really bad he says the fishing is great. But I have always wanted to fish the conconullys and spectacle.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:02 pm

gpc,

Don't make spectacle your prime target. They did a fish kill 3 years ago, and when I was there about 1.5 years ago, it was weak.
but there are so many other great ones in the area.
I am thinking of Palmer. I hear it's got everything, smallies, Largies, perch, spiny rays, cats, dogs, etc.

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:09 pm

what are people using at Conconully? I am headed over to Omak for 4 days myself on Thursday and we are actually staying at Conconully. Any tips would be great!

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:26 pm

two years later :P and here I am researching the same topic. I'm headed back to Conconully on Wednesday till Monday for fishing, R&R, and the rodeo. I just thought it was neat to see this 2 year old post on the same subject. I first met my wife camping at conconully in the August of 1999. hmmm 10 years this year... i should do something!

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:57 pm

Hey Quad...I love Wannacut better than any other in the area. Great small resort with a handful of drive in lakes around the area as well...absolutely breathtaking area.

Sun Cove Resort-Brian and Gail
93 E Wannacut Ln
Oroville, WA 98844-9337
(509) 476-2223

Big D

Post by Big D » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:15 pm

EDIT:
Hey Dustin07 ,
Don't forget about the Okanogan River for Bass...Both SM & LM. You can also bring your bow and spend a little time shootin Carp down around the mouth. I think it's probably some of the best Bass fishing in the state right now. The Columbia River at the Brewster Pool for Kings is in full swing right now.
I've never fished Omak Lake but I hear the fishing is off the hook...You'll need a tribal permit for this one.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:45 pm

Lake Curlew in Ferry County was pretty good for me this weekend camping! Will post pics later.

It's not in Oakangan cty but if you have sometime on your hand. Lake curlew has some nice rainbows and give great fight
Go Huskies!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:58 pm

Big D wrote:Hey Quad,
Don't forget about the Okanogan River for Bass...Both SM & LM. You can also bring your bow and spend a little time shootin Carp down around the mouth. I think it's probably some of the best Bass fishing in the state right now. The Columbia River at the Brewster Pool for Kings is in full swing right now.
I've never fished Omak Lake but I hear the fishing is off the hook...You'll need a tribal permit for this one.

Re-direct on the post...
I originated this thread 2 years ago.... and just the other day it re-surfaced because Dustin 07 was making a trip over there. But it is all good info. that you putting out. I am sure he can use it this time.:bball:

4r7wHMg5Yjg

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:36 am

Doah!...#-o

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:31 am

yeah I don't typically revive dead threads, but I liked this one :)

eNnsNd1BaNI

there are a lot of dinks out there, but some good fish too. check out http://www.shadypinesresort.com/ that's where we stay. it's affordable, quiet, good people, and some nice trout come out of there, check their gallery!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:42 am

and here is a MUCH better picture size for Big D's signiture;
Attachments
1_Big_D.jpg
1_Big_D.jpg (21.59 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
Tom.

Interests: living

CaptainJack
Petty Officer

Post by CaptainJack » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:10 pm

For anyone else researching...

I would recommend Bonaparte Lake about 20 miles east of Tonasket. I've been there several times over the past few years and we've been successful every time. The last trip my dad and I combined to catch 6 types of fish: rainbow trout, brown trout, brook trout, tiger trout, kokanee (15"), and smallmouth. There are also several smaller lakes nearby that are good also: Beaver, Beth, and Lost.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:09 pm

CaptainJack wrote:For anyone else researching...

I would recommend Bonaparte Lake about 20 miles east of Tonasket. I've been there several times over the past few years and we've been successful every time. The last trip my dad and I combined to catch 6 types of fish: rainbow trout, brown trout, brook trout, tiger trout, kokanee (15"), and smallmouth. There are also several smaller lakes nearby that are good also: Beaver, Beth, and Lost.
One of my favorite lakes within a few miles of Boniparte is "Round" lake. Located on Aeneas valley road. Phat rainbows.

4r7wHMg5Yjg