Long Lake (spokane) launches

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bassmaster3000
Petty Officer

Long Lake (spokane) launches

Post by Bassmaster3000 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:08 pm

Which launch is best to be close to good bass fishing. I know of several launches along the lake. The DNR launch about 7 miles past tum tum, the Spokane house launch at the confluence of the Spokane and little spokane rivers, and several at different resorts. i'm kind of wanting a free launch, but paying is okay. I don't want to go to a resort either. so that kind of narrows it down to the spokane house launch and the DNR launch. Which is closer to better bass fishing?

thanx,
bassmaster3000
AKA: J-Dawg

Who need's goldbacks or silverbacks? I'll take BRONZEBACKS!!!
BASSMASTER YOUTH MEMBER
REMEMBER TO CATCH AND REALEASE!!!!!!!

Jsmooth
Petty Officer

RE:Long Lake (spokane) launches

Post by Jsmooth » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:34 am

I have been wondering the same thing. I know it's a long ride down to deeper water from Spokane house, prop kiiler from what I've herd. Only tried once and never again for me, boat too small. Have yet to go out to DNR launch but want to soon.

reddog
Petty Officer

Post by reddog » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:23 am

Bassmaster3000 wrote:Which launch is best to be close to good bass fishing. I know of several launches along the lake. The DNR launch about 7 miles past tum tum, the Spokane house launch at the confluence of the Spokane and little spokane rivers, and several at different resorts. i'm kind of wanting a free launch, but paying is okay. I don't want to go to a resort either. so that kind of narrows it down to the spokane house launch and the DNR launch. Which is closer to better bass fishing?

thanx,
bassmaster3000
bm3k
I have had equal luck catching bass close to both launch's. Now that the runoff has slowed to a trickle, the confluence isnt a class 2 rapids!!! I put in at that launch in April. And the drift downstream was 8.5 mph by the gps!!! As for the "prop killer" part of the lake, when you launch at the confluence, dont drift or wander downstream before the last corner marker buoy then youre OK. Otherwise there is a minefield of tree stumbs waiting for your lower unit. The DNR launch is opened by an employee??? with a hell of an attitude. Shows up when the rigs at the gate number greater than 4 with horns honking. Versus when the sign on the gate says it is to open. Which is too late for my blood @6:00 I believe. So I use the confluence. Yea, $7, but a pretty good launch, and enough activity this time of year to keep the car prowlers away.
Good luck.
Kent

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:49 am

Spokane house has an undeserved reputation. Its a decent launch as long as you are smart about your boat usage. Just run STRAIGHT OUT from the ramp until you are about 100-200 ft from the opposite bank. This water is 15-20 feet deep. At this part of the lake, its a river channel, so its easy to follow. Think of what a river does (milling out rock and sediment in its path) and watch how it is shaped. The shallowest areas are marked. If you are uncomfortable with that, I can come up weekdays and occasional weekends to show you how to launch there. Its cake.

DNR is a long drive, but its cheaper to drive a car getting 15mpg than a boat getting 2-3. During CERTAIN times of the year its more productive, but right now Id stay upriver as the water is a little cooler on this end. Early and late season can be a little better out there, and the trout fishing is much better in winter on that end.

The Nine Mile Resort is no longer a private resort, it is a day-use area with limited overnight camping operated by Wa state parks dept as a part of Riverside State Park. Launch fees are the same as the Spokane house, and its a better launch (better turnarounds, better dock, etc). The only limiting factor is that its only open in the summer. It is essentially the same setup as the other state run launches, so consider that the 3rd non-resort.

There are a plethora of private launches. If you can find someone that has one, thats always a good option.

Picked up a 13" smallie the other day doing a half-a**ed job of fishing, so they are still biting. LOTS of fry in the water.

E

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:14 am

The lake is so full right now that you would have to really make an effort to hurt your boat. Last Friday I fished behind all of the danger bouys and never found water shallow enough to trim my big motor. The fishing is good around or near all of them. Get your fishin in this weekend because you will not want to be there next weekend with the 2 day tournament going on. I expect there will be a pretty decent turnout. I can't imagine less than 35 boats.

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:06 pm

every one pretty much summed it up, the only other thing to keep in mind is that only the river launch is "open" before 6:00am, so if you want to bass fish at the conventional time, as in really, really early, the river launch is your only option. just stay to the lake side of all the buoys (as opposed to the shore side) and you kind of "S" curve right down the river channel which is plenty deep like everyone else said. keep in mind it is no wake until you are north of the Little Spokane confluence. i agree that there are areas throughout the entire lake that are productive for bass, and you can find the structure/cover you want at either end too; both have pads, rocks, cliffs, timber, etc.

DC i'm curious how you think the tournament will be this year. I'm predicting much smaller weights than last year. hopefully you're right and the turnout is a lot better too, i think there was only 22 or so boats last year, and that's counting that guy in the 8 foot aluminum with the 4 horse motor.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:22 pm

Whats the buy-in for the MS this year? Maybe Ill get in on it.

DC lets prefish this week sometime...

E

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:42 pm

The buy-in this year is $200. I have no idea how the turnout will be and I have never fished the summer tournament because it usually conflicts with the NW Bass schedule. I was thinking 30 boats just becuase tournament participation has been up a lot this year at all the tournaments. It doesn't make very much sense but that is the way it has been this year. I think the weights will be down over all but somone always gets em. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it took 35+lbs. to win. I have found the lake to be very tough the last couple of weeks. It is really really clear. I found 6 Lm in deep water on a 200 yard stretch Friday that were all over 5 but couldn't get a single one to bite.

I am praying for a miracle flash flood that muddies up the water on Thusday and begins to clear slightly by Saturday am. I would also like a steady 5-10 mph breeze and broken clouds. Temperatures in the mid 80's and the McMannis brothers to come down with the flu. Is that too much to ask for?

E- I only had one day to pre-fish before the lake went off limits. I am still hoping to make it out with you this summer. If you plan on fishing it you can't be on the water at all this week.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:22 pm

Nah, Id rather fish than enter and give up fishing. Slow for me too, a few bites over 4 hrs of sporadic fishing. Gonna head up river to check out some of the cool water spots, see if thats gonna help.

E