pinks are coming

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
limarxy
Petty Officer

RE:pinks are coming

Post by limarxy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:46 pm

are they (fish) in edmonds by ferry yet?

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:30 pm

limarxy wrote:are they (fish) in edmonds by ferry yet?
theres been reports of 3-4 kings per day i believe but i havent heard anything about pinks

mallard433
Petty Officer

Post by mallard433 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:48 pm

the creel reports for everett ramp had five pinks recorded last weekend so they are close

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:27 pm

another 1 or 2 weeks out
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Awoods
Warrant Officer

Post by Awoods » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:28 am

So I heard that the salmon run this year is supposed to be huge and I want to get into the action. I've always caught salmon in the river just using corky and yarn. I'm thinking about fishing saltwater this year for the first time. I'm in that Area 11 area without a boat so would anyone happen to know where a good location to fish around there would be? Dash Point? I also have no clue what I'd be doing. I've been doing some reading. Sounds like I just want to cast and retrieve a buzz bomb? Is 2 inches fine?

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:49 am

a 2 to 2 1/2 inch would be fine. jig it as you retrieve it or slow roll it and not jig it
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:23 am

Awoods wrote:So I heard that the salmon run this year is supposed to be huge and I want to get into the action. I've always caught salmon in the river just using corky and yarn. I'm thinking about fishing saltwater this year for the first time. I'm in that Area 11 area without a boat so would anyone happen to know where a good location to fish around there would be? Dash Point? I also have no clue what I'd be doing. I've been doing some reading. Sounds like I just want to cast and retrieve a buzz bomb? Is 2 inches fine?
There are a couple of peirs in MA 11, but yes your best bet for salmon (pinks) is Dash Point. They catch TONS of pinks off that dock every odd year. They even wade out into the water and catch them from there. 2" is a little small 3.5" is more what you want.

The other place, the #1 pier fishery for pinks, Spokane Street. This is more of a mini hoochie fishery.

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:34 am

So how exactly do you rig those hoochies? I know you can do it with flashers but fishing with a flasher off a pier seems a bit odd. Do you just use it like a jig? Put a hoochie on a jig head or something?

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:07 pm

yeah on a jig head or run a leader like this one pictured
Attachments
random_pics_340_Medium.jpg
random_pics_340_Medium.jpg (38.44 KiB) Viewed 2341 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:11 pm

ckim85 wrote:So how exactly do you rig those hoochies? I know you can do it with flashers but fishing with a flasher off a pier seems a bit odd. Do you just use it like a jig? Put a hoochie on a jig head or something?

Yeah you can do it like the picture from Curado, but the best way(in my opinion) is just on a jig head.

I like the Gamakatsu 604 1/4 oz jig heads. These jig heads have a very unique style that really keeps the hoochies on the hook. Get some powder paint in either glow or hot pink for the jig head it self. But the plain lead will also catch fish.

OE will have everything you need, but get it quick because they are known to sell out at the height of the run. I also prefer Smelly Jelly shrimp scent and Pautske krill grease. But you will soon find out that there isnt exactly a science to walk away with a cooler full of pinks

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:51 pm

just right time right place...

we're going back to Shishole. we were aiming to be on the water at 4am last weekend and it was closer to 5. this week we're aiming for 3am. Looks like the tide is moving pretty heavily from 3am to 7am on Sat.? outgoing that is, with slack around 8:30am.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 am

curado, is your offer to hook up when the pinks hit the sky still open? im also in lake stevens and i cant wait for these pinks to get in and fish them with ultra light gear. ive heard that right under I-5 on the snohomish is a good place to fish for them aswell. let me know,
Hanapaa

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:51 am

yes it is. the snoho is good early on then they hit the sky
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:08 pm

Awoods wrote:So I heard that the salmon run this year is supposed to be huge and I want to get into the action. I've always caught salmon in the river just using corky and yarn. I'm thinking about fishing saltwater this year for the first time. I'm in that Area 11 area without a boat so would anyone happen to know where a good location to fish around there would be? Dash Point? I also have no clue what I'd be doing. I've been doing some reading. Sounds like I just want to cast and retrieve a buzz bomb? Is 2 inches fine?
Dash Point is fine. They even fish off the beach. 2" pink is perfect. Just remember you will not be alone!
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:24 pm

curado, when do you think the pinks will be showing up in the snohomish? since im not working right now would it be a waste of time to try near the mouth of the snohomish right now?

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:53 pm

hanapaa808 wrote:curado, when do you think the pinks will be showing up in the snohomish? since im not working right now would it be a waste of time to try near the mouth of the snohomish right now?
Wait until at least August 16.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:29 pm

As Shad Eating Grin stated, wait till it opens (16th of August)

They will be in then and will continue to be there for a good month.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:47 am

shad, a9. thanks for the info. cant wait, should be fun!!!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:26 am

i would say they pinks should be in decent numbers by aug 20

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:46 pm

guys, since joes closed. where is the nearest tackle shop that has a wide variety and decent prices? id hate to drive to seattle all the time just to get stuff form outdoor emporium.