Taking the grandkids fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
longhorn
Angler

Taking the grandkids fishing

Post by longhorn » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:27 am

First, I'd like to say what a great site this is. The best I've seen. One of the best parts is the reports are all reports. On a fishing site that I check for my area over half the "reports" are people looking for a report. Your lake info is great also. That said, I'm dragging my boat 2000 miles to Spokane to take my grandkids fishing. They are age 5 to 13. Based on information from this site I've kind of narrowed down my lake selection to Long, Newman and Liberty. Could someone please tell me what is the best bet to get them to catch some fish? I can fish for bluegill but am not familiar with trout, perch or rainbows. Are any of these possibilities? I'm going to bass fish some and am glad to see the fish still shallow but my main goal is for the kids to catch fish. Any help will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Taking the grandkids fishing

Post by kevinb » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Welcome aboard longhorn.

Just giving this a bump,we got tons of helpful folks on the eastside that can provide some excellent information.
Goodluck out there.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:03 am

Marc notified me that this post was up, so I thought I'd add my little piece of input.

Bass fishing is a little slow right now, as the tournament guys can attest. Working the weedlines is going to be your best bet.

For crappie, find a weed edge on deeper water (more than 10') and work it morning and evening.

Pikeminnow are abundant and can be had trolling in 10-15ft of water during midday, shallower at early and late light.

Trout are being taken here and there, but its infrequent.

Perch should be getting lively, find submerged weeds in the Felton/Sportsmans cove area and work the outside edges of the clumps. Typically we do best on the perch in August but it should be perking up a bit.

Send me a message when you get here, Ill try to give you the best intel I have at the time.

E

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:18 pm

Here's a recent good report from Long Lake:

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportCo ... lid=13&t=1

Silver also kicks out some BIG muskie but my not be the best choice for fast action for kids. Welcome to Washington!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:05 pm

The key to fishing for trout in this area is to be at the right depth during the hot months. If your boat has a fish finder with a color display and shows the thermocline, usually the trout will be just above that thermocline. Here is an article I wrote that may help you in fishing for trout:

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReadArticle.aspx?id=300

longhorn
Angler

Post by longhorn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:55 pm

Thanks guys. Got here ok and going to go look around tomorrow either at Long or Newman. No, I didn't bring any heat wave with me.

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Hey Longhorn! Glad you made it in one piece...lots of great info given by some of our best! Good luck, have fun and let us know how the kids do!! (are you S-U-R-E about the heat wave part?!?) LOL

Livin4Fishin
Petty Officer

Post by Livin4Fishin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:56 pm

You can never go wrong fishing for trout with powerbait especially when taking youngsters out. Less tangled lines means more lines in the water!!! :bounce:
Have a son and you'll have a fishin partner for life.

ryan2202
Warrant Officer

Post by ryan2202 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:55 am

The old bobber and worm can do the trick too....kids can let their rod's sit, while they wonder off (since we knwo its hard to keep their attention for long periods of time)....when they see that bobber begin to...bob...that'll kcatch their eye and interest more...
Ryan

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:56 pm

How'd it go?

Im back from Canada, so Im around this week to fish.

E