Fact or Fiction 20" perch

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
gpc
Admiral

Fact or Fiction 20" perch

Post by gpc » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:43 pm

I know, I know just starting this thread makes me sound like rookie fisherman but heres the story I heard. Last Wednesday down a coulon park, there was an Asian who was perch fishing, well this Asian man reeled in a 20" yellow perch. The other fisherman kept trying to tell him that it was the state record, if not the world record, but he didn't speak any English. They finally called the game warden to come down and talk to the man. When she arrived, she was telling the man how it was record and all, but not being able to speak or understand English it was pointless. The man got annoyed took his 20" perch and left, the warden and other fisherman just stood there is astonishment. Now I just heard this story, not signing my name to anything. But what do you guys think?

Derrick-k
Commander

RE:Fact or Fiction 20" perch

Post by Derrick-k » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:56 pm

when my dad was a kid he lived near lake washington and one of his friend's cuaght a 3lb perch in seward park, I trust all of my dad''s stories, but I know that the person who caught the perch didn't think that it could be a state or even a world record.

Fish caught in the 60's.

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Post by Fish-or-man? » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:22 pm

I say fiction. A twenty-inch perch?... from Washington waters even? To believe such a thing I'd have to see it, touch it, maybe poke at it, and even then I'd only be about 25% sure it existed. I mean what are the odds that the one guy who can't communicate with anybody would catch this fish of a hundred lifetimes (and not figure out what the other people were trying to telling him)?

Eddie L
Warrant Officer

Post by Eddie L » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:39 pm

Sure it wasn't one of them illegally planted walleyes roaming ing the big lake. A couple was caught last year posted on 2 other fishing websites.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:33 pm

I think the complete opposite of Fish-or-man. I will believe a story until it is proved wrong. (unless of coarse it is a completely outlandish story)
I think this could be fact. Some people just want dinner. They have no concept of weights, records or even species for that matter. (and the language barrier doesn't help) Look at George Perry and his world record LMB, he was just fishing for dinner. If the people around him didn't talk him into going down to the post office and getting it weighed, we would have never heard about it. Plus he could have cared less to have the world record.
I wonder if world record fish taste better than regular fish. :geek:

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Post by Fish-or-man? » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:02 pm

I personally find this story pretty outlandish. The guy obviously knew what a yellow perch is, and therefor their average size of about six inches. Even with the language barrier it would not be hard for him to figure out what he had. It's hard for me to imagine an angler in this day and age with no ego at all.

Besides fishnislife, suppose it is real. I think you and I both realize it's probably somebody's pet perch, fed to grow to a mammoth size... and the guy was fishing on private property somehow. :pig: :pl:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:31 pm

World record is 4lb's 4oz.

And I can belive he was just fishing for a meal

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:27 am

I knew this would get some attention. I was kind of hoping someone would say "yeah I was there and its true" or "thats the oldest story in the book, a man who cant speak English catches a world record" sort of deal. I am still not sure. If the story took place at angle or fenewick or another 100 acre lake I would disregard the story, but Lake Washington, uhhh, maybe. But I do think it is possible, but w/o real evidence..... Its not like fishing is a sport that is known for lieing or fish tales LOL

felts_jf
Warrant Officer

Post by felts_jf » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:34 am

I dont know about Washington water but back home in Kentucky it's not uncommon to catch a 2lb perch or shell cracker is what they are called back home. I have caught and seen many around this size so I could believe it. A fish will grow to the size of the water it is in and the food in his habitat and if there is a good food supply it could happen. I have noticed the perch in WA are smaller than I've seen in the south but hey it could happen!
The boat doesnt catch fish it's the person. Rippin Lips

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:08 am

The record in the state is 2.75 pounds, which if perch weight to length ratio were similar to that of a bass, I would classify the state record at around 16 or 17 inches. This means, if a 20 incher were caught, it would most likely be a state record. However, I must say (and this happens to the best of us), sometimes fish appear bigger until you measure or weigh them. I have caught two pound bass that I swore were three pounders, and trout that measured 14 inches in reality that I assumed as 17 inches. When the adrenaline gets pumping there is room for misjugement. It happens to the best of us!

Beerman
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:04 am

Let's assume this story is true: If you were in a foreign, or new country to you, and you were trying to catch dinner to feed your family how would you react with all these people talking at you in different language, pointing at your fish, and calling an official over? I'd get the heck out of there for fear they were going to take it away from me. Food is food.

I'd much rather have a world record fish feed a hungry family than be stuffed and thrown on some sportsman's "I'm so great" wall.

Irregardless of what size the fish really was, it sounds like the guy was successful in meeting his ends- Good on him.

Smalma
Warrant Officer

Post by Smalma » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:28 pm

Believe it or not a lot of folks just enjoy fishing and are not really into records or even taking pictures of ever fish caught.

I beleive it is very possible that a 20 inch yellow perch could have been caught. I have seen pictures of perch that approached that size caught in a couple western Washington waters. The largest was a fish that was more than 19 inches - it was laying next to measuring tape and was huge with great girth and hump back. Ever few years one hears rumors of such fish coming out of Washington.

I personal best can from a lake to the north of Seattle and was 16 1/2 inches long and weighted 2.5 pounds, a friend caught a even larger one the same year while bass fishing with me and released the potential state recored.

Why is it so hard to believe that someone would not turn such a fish in for a record. It was just a few years ago that an angler caught a cutthroat from Lake Washington that exceeded 14 pounds (state record 12#) and just ate it. Pictures of that beast is floating around on the internet.

Tight lines
Curt

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:12 pm

I look at like this , if the story wasnt true then why do so many people hear about it ? or did the fish get bigger as each person passed it own ..

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

BrianM
Petty Officer

Post by BrianM » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:53 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:10 pm

Smalma wrote:Believe it or not a lot of folks just enjoy fishing and are not really into records or even taking pictures of ever fish caught.

I beleive it is very possible that a 20 inch yellow perch could have been caught. I have seen pictures of perch that approached that size caught in a couple western Washington waters. The largest was a fish that was more than 19 inches - it was laying next to measuring tape and was huge with great girth and hump back. Ever few years one hears rumors of such fish coming out of Washington.

I personal best can from a lake to the north of Seattle and was 16 1/2 inches long and weighted 2.5 pounds, a friend caught a even larger one the same year while bass fishing with me and released the potential state recored.

Why is it so hard to believe that someone would not turn such a fish in for a record. It was just a few years ago that an angler caught a cutthroat from Lake Washington that exceeded 14 pounds (state record 12#) and just ate it. Pictures of that beast is floating around on the internet.

Tight lines
Curt
Wasn't that in a Sammamish or Washington report? I remember looking at what was called a 14#er caught by a man named Sok Keo....

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Post by Fish-or-man? » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:06 pm

Yep, Lake Washington August 2002. Image