Are you a Boat Ramp Hog?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

RE:Are you a Boat Ramp Hog?

Post by Desertcreek » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:56 pm

OMG you guys are so freakin sensitive. You only have a hand winch, which most boats do so whats your point. It is so much easier to power load a boat than winch it if your boat is capable....period. None of the reasons you and Mike described as to why you don't power load make any sense. With a partner without a partner is irrelevant. You are driving the boat forward. I can understand why somone would have difficulty backing anything because it's not done as often. You always drive forward. That isn't new to anyone. You don't have to sprint to the front of the boat to connect the bow strap. Just walk up there and attatch it and then get out. It isn't going to make any difference if your motor is left in gear for 10 seconds or 45 seconds. I don't even know if it is faster or not but it is easier...that's all. I didn't specifically call any individual dumb so simmer down. I just said generically, making a task more difficult than it needs to be is dumb...and it is. Regardless of who you are. It never ceases to amaze me how over reactionary people are. You can't even say the word dumb in a general statement without somone getting there feelings hurt.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:59 pm

I hate to say this but DC is right #-o power loading is 10x easier! When I was 12 my dad taught me how to power load the boat after he backed down the trailer. I would then hook up the chain and away we went. So if I can do it at 12 it isn't that hard guys:-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm

My trailer doesnt have side boards and the boat has to be centered and flat. I also dont have power trim. Im not doing to risk damage to my motor trying to hurry because some one is impatient regardless of their reason.

I'll hand winch, center, and hand winch again until its right. I dont screw off while doing it but then next guy in line can wait until Im satisfied my rig is secured safely and the way I like it.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:30 pm

DC you Capitalized your word choice of DUMB. It was pretty definative.Everybody loads and unloads boats differently. I use a hand crank and wuill continue to do so. If you see me launching the old fashioned way then stay clear of me gents. Its all I can say.What I want to know is do you load your boat on your trailer when youre by yourself? I fish alone and dont have a chauffer to drive my rig while I'm in my boat. Then if I did I'd be tied to the dock an extra 1/2 hour driving my rig so I can get back in my boat start it up and drive away.Y'all crack me up telling folks whats right or wrong.Hahahahahaha
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:59 pm

racfish wrote:DC you Capitalized your word choice of DUMB. It was pretty definative.Everybody loads and unloads boats differently. I use a hand crank and wuill continue to do so. If you see me launching the old fashioned way then stay clear of me gents. Its all I can say.What I want to know is do you load your boat on your trailer when youre by yourself? I fish alone and dont have a chauffer to drive my rig while I'm in my boat. Then if I did I'd be tied to the dock an extra 1/2 hour driving my rig so I can get back in my boat start it up and drive away.Y'all crack me up telling folks whats right or wrong.Hahahahahaha
Racfish you keep doing what ya do it works and your happy with it who cares what people think. I think DC is a bass fishermen like myself and we can drive on or off and go. I pull up and back in and drive my boat off tie up park and go fish when i come back same deal drive on hook up and pull over into the tie up area and then iam gone. I am always untied and ready before i back down the ramp makes it faster and easier for all.What i think it comes down to is common sense and a little planing ahead. Theres always THAT ONE PERSON! The one that forgot the plug or blocks the ramp or cant back up, motor problems the list goes on. I think being handicapped is a totally different animal and dumb has nothing to do with. Whenever i see someone having a hard time i try to help them out sometimes they want it sometimes not but i offer and its to bad they dont have a handicap reserved ramp . The way things are going in this state were lucky to have ramps at all. thats my 2 cents!:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:14 pm

racfish wrote:DC you Capitalized your word choice of DUMB. It was pretty definative.Everybody loads and unloads boats differently. I use a hand crank and wuill continue to do so. If you see me launching the old fashioned way then stay clear of me gents. Its all I can say.What I want to know is do you load your boat on your trailer when youre by yourself? I fish alone and dont have a chauffer to drive my rig while I'm in my boat. Then if I did I'd be tied to the dock an extra 1/2 hour driving my rig so I can get back in my boat start it up and drive away.Y'all crack me up telling folks whats right or wrong.Hahahahahaha
99% of the time I am by myself and that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it is easier to winch or power load. Let's just suppose I have a buddy with me. How does that make it easier to winch a boat onto a trailer? I am not even talking about speed SIMPLY EASIER! That's all. Holy smokes!
I have to cut down a tree for my dad this weekend. I am contemplating using a hammer rather than a chainsaw. I know a chainsaw would be easier but I just want to chop it down with a hammer becasue it can be done. Noone will be wating on me so I won't be holding anybody up. I pay my taxes and have the right to do it any way I want. I just think it would be fun to take a task that would normally take a few seconds and very little effort and drag it out as long as humanly possible. Better yet to stay more on topic...I am not going to use hooks tomorrow when I go out. I am going to catch my limit with my hands and how dare any of you suggest a better way.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:28 pm

fishaholictaz wrote:I hate to say this but DC is right #-o power loading is 10x easier! When I was 12 my dad taught me how to power load the boat after he backed down the trailer. I would then hook up the chain and away we went. So if I can do it at 12 it isn't that hard guys:-"
What's wrong with agreeing with me?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:36 pm

Now that we all agree to do what we need to launch and retrieve our boats. Image Has anyone broke a winch strap/rope/or had the strap's stitching come apart while launching the boat?

Had that happen last year. The boat drifted out about 50 feet or so. The breeze was coming in from my front left.

Took it 20 minutes to come back in to the launch and was straight left/right with the left/port side to the launch. All I had to do was step in the water with my right foot and jump into the boat. Only got my toes wet.

So I put on a shock cord that I'd bought years ago for my horse and if it happens again the cord will keep the boat from drifing away again. Image

If you are interested you can get them at a horse/farm supply store.

Just for anyone's info.

edit;

similar to these, but with the 'hook snap' on both ends;

http://www.raraequus.com/productcart/pc ... product=38
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Desertcreek wrote:
fishaholictaz wrote:I hate to say this but DC is right #-o power loading is 10x easier! When I was 12 my dad taught me how to power load the boat after he backed down the trailer. I would then hook up the chain and away we went. So if I can do it at 12 it isn't that hard guys:-"
Just funnin DC:dwarf:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:50 pm

LOL, my kid's finally get outside confirmation that something I do makes no sense. I LIKE my winch. :-({|=

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:31 pm

Desertcreek wrote:
hey were all good man !:cheers:
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:08 pm

ive broken a winch on my mates 24' north river sled boa. I didnt have him power up enough, he said no worries just use the winch. SNAP i was like bollocks!!! i hooked up the safety drove forward slammed on the brakes reset safety chain and tied the strap on the winch...and away we went. Powering up is way faster and way easier, but no matter who i fish with we all load up differently and i just do whichever way they want.
As it stands i used to power load mine on and off but i installed a spare tyre carrier on my trailer and now i cannot drop my tailgate down all the way so i gotta get a new system.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

stevoblue
Petty Officer

Post by stevoblue » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:45 pm

Forgive me if this has been discussed in detail. I couldnt find it on the search. I have been told that Power loading is bad ettiquite. I dont know if this is true or not.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:23 pm

stevoblue wrote:Forgive me if this has been discussed in detail. I couldnt find it on the search. I have been told that Power loading is bad ettiquite. I dont know if this is true or not.

lmao your forgiven.....and no it is not.

i actually pride myself on getting on and off the water fast. However is the misses and kids are with me then i take my time.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:59 pm

Who cares how you load...Winch or drive up on the trailer, do it fast, do it efficient.

Help others out, be courteous, and don't mess around when you get to the launch. Have your boat ready to launch and be aware that others are waiting and want to get their lines in the water....

Lets go fishing...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

ryan2202
Warrant Officer

Post by ryan2202 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:05 am

Agreed A9....maybe the helping out part should be brought into more perspective...we all wanna fish, and be on the water for the chance for the big one! having things ready will help...learn from the last time, to make the next launch quicker and more efficent...I've help several people at the launches I've been to whether its holding their boat while they park the truck, or directing them while they back up...Those that are waiting have just as much responsibility to not only be patient and wait your turn, but to help out and not get so uptight...those feelings can ruin a fishing trip.

The boat launch hogs I'm NOT a fan of are those that sit there and fish, while others are actually using the ramp for what it is made for! Those guys/gals get on my nerves...I've almost hit some inadvertantly when I was backing up, and they casually stroll across the ramp like they didn't see me, not care to look. Then they have their fishing lines out straight in front of the launch, where boats end up going over on the water. Not to mention the many, many, many fish ALWAYS over the limit that they have on their stringer and usually using bait, with the many many many dead fish in the water they "tossed" back becuase they were'nt big enough....Those guys piss me off royally!
Ryan

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:18 am

A9 wrote:Who cares how you load...Winch or drive up on the trailer, do it fast, do it efficient.

Help others out, be courteous, and don't mess around when you get to the launch. Have your boat ready to launch and be aware that others are waiting and want to get their lines in the water....

Lets go fishing...
Well said!

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:53 pm

Here is what I have come to learn...

Patience.

Yes, I get annoyed with people at the ramp. But it's all about having fun. Just an observation;

People get more uptight when they are trying to launch. Everyone just "want's to get on the water". (I'm the same way, I always sould have been on the water a half hour ago). SO..lately, when I'm returning to the launch, I will usually let a boater or two jump in front of me to launch, as I'm not usually in as big a hurry to leave the launch that I was to arrive. Now, if it's packed, I jump right in line. But if it's two people ahead of me trying to launch at 10am, and I'm just getting off the water, I'll let them go in front of me. After all, it is usually quicker to launch then to retrieve, especially solo. Just my thoughts...I'm not in much of a hurry in anything in life. OR, take Bodo's advice, and get there 1/2 hour earlier to launch, better than being p'd off. And yes....we all need to think of others, rather than just ourselves.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:38 am

Mike Carey wrote:I LIKE my winch.
Me too, most lakes I launch at are soft bottomed, not concrete. Even the few that are concrete I still winch my boat on the trailer. It takes me maybe a minute, minute and a half to do so, then I attach the safety chain and we're out of there. :cheers:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:19 am

hewesfisher wrote:
Mike Carey wrote:I LIKE my winch.
Me too, most lakes I launch at are soft bottomed, not concrete. Even the few that are concrete I still winch my boat on the trailer. It takes me maybe a minute, minute and a half to do so, then I attach the safety chain and we're out of there. :cheers:
Same here. I have only a few times driven my boat up onto the trailer. I bought my Hewes Craft 16' so that I could launch alone and just use the winch. It's easy and only takes a minute or two max. I also agree that a little patience goes along way. I sometimes just remind myself that I am not in a hurry which seems to help.

The pic is of me loading my boat at Diablo Lake a few weeks ago. Beautiful lake, great trip, and a great launch.
Attachments
IMG_3388_Small_2.jpg
IMG_3388_Small_2.jpg (61.82 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.