Are you a Boat Ramp Hog?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Are you a Boat Ramp Hog?

Post by racfish » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:09 am

G- Man do you live on Fantasy Island ?
For those of you new to boating here is some quick math just to put things into perspective. If everyone took 10 minutes to launch or retrieve their boat, that's 6 boats per hour per ramp. There aren't enough launches to go around at that pace. Especially on lakes with one launch, that open up at a set time, like Lake Sammamish. Trim it down to 2 minutes to launch or retrieve and your looking at 30 boats per hour per ramp. The more you boat, the more comfortable you will get with launching and retrieving. Add in the preparation and tips from this site and you'll be helping your fellow fisherfolks to get more time on the water, and believe me it is appreciated.
If everyone drove 60 mph on the freeway there would be no traffic jams ever.
"Welcome to Fantasy Island"..............Are you a Boeing engineer?Or a Govt Worker?
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:51 am

I am a newbie to say the least, but now have over 6 launches under my belt. Most of the time I have launched with just my son, but sometimes the wind will do some odd tricks with the boat. Recently, when I was backing my trailer to retrieve the boat, the wind moved the boat and my son (12) was having difficulties holding the boat in place. #-o So, I had to get out of my truck and re-position it. This probably took a good 10 minutes to get it close enough so I could hook it, I was pretty embarrassed and frustrated, thinking I could just zoom in and zoom out. I could tell by everyones body language, that my mishap was ruining their day. Maybe I should have asked for help, but I didn't or maybe I was wishful thinking that someone would lend me a hand, I was kinda in shock those angry people didn't bother to help me out- oh well. When we were driving off, I asked my son if anyone went over to help him, he said no one did and re-affirmed that some people were losing patience. I just told him, if we ever see anyone who needs help or if anyone looks like they need help, that we will lend a hand, no matter what. :cheers:
This topic also reminds me of golfing, but that is another sport :-$
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:45 pm

I learned a valuble lesson when aiding and helping folks. I was up mudding in my 4x4 up at Reiter mud pits when I hit a puddle at 35 mph .I was taking photos of muddind when my truck entered and just sank.I couldnt shut my motor off or the mud wouldve backed up into the motor . I was there stuck for three hours.It was getting dark and still nobody. My buddy went off looking and found two guys who looked like the 2 guys from Deliverance. They pulled me from the mud,Checked out the axles and the motor and said I was good to go. I offered them a 50.00 bill for helping and their response was no way. I was kinda shocked. They told me that one day they might get stuck and might need a hand.I try helping anyone who might need it. I learned human decency the hard way.It was a valuable lesson I'm pleased to have learned.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Pradeep
Warrant Officer

Post by Pradeep » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:47 pm

This is a debate that can and probably will go on for some time. The one funny thing about boaters (generally speaking) is that they are cool as hell out on the water. They wave when going by, seems like they are having a good time, not a care in the world and then all of a sudden, when it's time to get off the water, theirs a sudden change in demeanor. It's been brought up a few times now that when a boater is struggling with getting their boat onto their trailer that others just stand by and watch and it's one of the things that irks me the most. Why not help someone out? It'll sure as heck make their day go much better, I'm sure that most if not all of us have felt the "evil glare" and the embarrassment of it.
2 weeks ago at the Everett Marina, my family and I were launching and there was an older gentleman (past retirement age) and his wife struggling to start their boat. I watched silently for a few min while My wife backed ours into the water and I took mine all the way down to the end of the dock, tied it up and let it sit in idle and helped this guy pull his plug wires and just re seat them. Bam, sure enough the boats starts up and the smiles on their faces were enough to make my day. He told me flat out that he wasn't looking forward to trying to pull the boat back out if it didn't start up. Why? cause boaters can be jerks sometimes.
I agree with all the basics that everyone said, take your staps off, get your boat tie down line ready all that stuff before getting in line to take up a launch, but I'm not going to let a great day on the water be ruined because someone took 5 or 10 min to load up and go. I'll take those guys any day of the week over the jerk that decides he's too good to wait in line and cuts in front of others. That's just where I can't keep my mouth shut. Those are the guys that earn a flat tire on the way home.

I would hope that the vast majority of the people on this site at least would be the ones that would offer a helping hand instead of just staring at someone like they are not their equal. Everyday, every hr we all share information with each other to "help" their fellow angler/boater. Why not be that same way face to face?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:19 pm

RaMcVey wrote:I'd like to say thanks to the JetSki guy, on the dock one from the end, who helped me recover my boat Sunday. The wind and wake were giving me alot of grief. It was just me and a 7 year old in the boat and I simply couldnt do it by my self considering the conditions.

Thanks Dude! :cheers:
Lake Samm has a huge in/out launch but the concrete ramps are tough - they aren't close enough to the piers, and the piers are too short. And north winds can definitely be a problem.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:36 pm

[quote="Pradeep"] I would hope that the vast majority of the people on this site at least would be the ones that would offer a helping hand instead of just staring at someone like they are not their equal. Everyday, every hr we all share information with each other to "help" their fellow angler/boater. Why not be that same way face to face?

Well said..:cheers: =d> =d>
"One more......."

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:32 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
RaMcVey wrote:I'd like to say thanks to the JetSki guy, on the dock one from the end, who helped me recover my boat Sunday. The wind and wake were giving me alot of grief. It was just me and a 7 year old in the boat and I simply couldnt do it by my self considering the conditions.

Thanks Dude! :cheers:
Lake Samm has a huge in/out launch but the concrete ramps are tough - they aren't close enough to the piers, and the piers are too short. And north winds can definitely be a problem.
ALOT LIKE THE PITTS ON LAKE WAWA WHEN THE WINDS BLOWIN ITS A BIG HASSLE SHALLOW RAMP WITH NASTY PIERS!:colors:
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:18 pm

racfish wrote:I learned a valuble lesson when aiding and helping folks. I was up mudding in my 4x4 up at Reiter mud pits when I hit a puddle at 35 mph .I was taking photos of muddind when my truck entered and just sank.I couldnt shut my motor off or the mud wouldve backed up into the motor . I was there stuck for three hours.It was getting dark and still nobody. My buddy went off looking and found two guys who looked like the 2 guys from Deliverance. They pulled me from the mud,Checked out the axles and the motor and said I was good to go. I offered them a 50.00 bill for helping and their response was no way. I was kinda shocked. They told me that one day they might get stuck and might need a hand.I try helping anyone who might need it. I learned human decency the hard way.It was a valuable lesson I'm pleased to have learned.
What I'm about to say may strike some people (and mods) as offensive so if you're squeamish, ....look away

So let me get this straight, you went wheelin' by yourself and it took this situation for you to figure out that maybe that wasn't a good idea???

That's like taking a boat to the lake that doesn't start and blaming everyone else in line for not offering a jump start.

Maybe I'm sounding like a jerk and maybe I am a jerk, but come on people, if you don't know what you're doing, ask for help. If you're too embarrassed or proud to ask for help than that's you're problem and you deserve every "nasty look" you get.

Unfortunate and unpredictable incidents happen, and when they do, everyone with experience knows it and recognizes it, such as wind or current, etc. BUT, there's no excuse for lack of common sense.

Flame on

tallman8251
Petty Officer

Post by tallman8251 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:24 am

tmusky1 wrote:
What I'm about to say may strike some people (and mods) as offensive so if you're squeamish, ....look away

So let me get this straight, you went wheelin' by yourself and it took this situation for you to figure out that maybe that wasn't a good idea???

That's like taking a boat to the lake that doesn't start and blaming everyone else in line for not offering a jump start.

Maybe I'm sounding like a jerk and maybe I am a jerk, but come on people, if you don't know what you're doing, ask for help. If you're too embarrassed or proud to ask for help than that's you're problem and you deserve every "nasty look" you get.

Unfortunate and unpredictable incidents happen, and when they do, everyone with experience knows it and recognizes it, such as wind or current, etc. BUT, there's no excuse for lack of common sense.

Flame on
Amen Thank you Tmusky1

Maury
Petty Officer

Post by Maury » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:06 am

Pradeep wrote:The one funny thing about boaters (generally speaking) is that they are cool as hell out on the water. They wave when going by, seems like they are having a good time, not a care in the world and then all of a sudden, when it's time to get off the water, theirs a sudden change in demeanor.
Who are you kidding, most of the time when out on the water, you wave at someone and they look at you like you're hitting on their mother. If you're close enough to talk and ask what they are using or how they are doing, they act like it's a state secret. Fishermen can be Aholes sometimes.
On the other hand I have no problem helping others at the ramp, whether holding a dock line or backing a trailer for them (did that a bunch of times @ Lk WA during the last Sockeye season, what a zoo)

Q; think this guy tied up the ramp for a while?
Attachments
boatlaunch.jpg
boatlaunch.jpg (94.48 KiB) Viewed 2421 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pradeep
Warrant Officer

Post by Pradeep » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:25 am

Maury - As I wrote "generally speaking" boaters are cool as hell out on the water. This is based on my experiences. Not everyone waves back, granted, who cares? Anyone that rides a motorcycle knows that most of us acknowledge each other as we pass. Not everyone will give you a sign of acknowledgment back. Just the way it is. I mean, I don't really know what else to say to you if your experiences have been poor. If you want, we can figure out a time to meet out on the water, you cruise by like we didn't plan it out in advance, wave at me and I swear, I'll wave back. That was a joke dude, just to lighten things up a bit.

My point in the portion of what I wrote that you are referring to is that my personal experience has been that once at the dock, boaters/anglers whatever you want to call em, tend to have a change in attitude. Patience is at a low. Not thinking ahead and planning things out is one thing and as I said, I agree with the everyone's frustrations on that. What I don't allow to bother me is if someone is struggling a little to get backed in, or getting their boat lined up correctly on the trailer and having to work it a bit. Not a big deal in my book. It happens. Summer months as we all know, require a bit more patience. Lots of new boaters brings on longer wait times. Just the nature of it. Several weeks ago, I watched a family back their brand new 18 foot bayliner into lake WA at the sand point docks. The guy jumps in the boat and starts up his engine. Problem was that his outboard was still out of the water. Didn't phase him one bit because he didn't know that he had to have it in the water before starting it up. Several people yelled to him and he just didn't understand what he was doing wrong until someone finally walked over to him and talked him through it. Just the way it is this time of year. You see all sorts of stuff. Seriously, who, that is an avid angler/boater heads for the dock at 10am thinking that they will be in and out on the water in no time flat? Your hard core fishermen/women are on the water 5-7am range, well before the greenies are even getting their first cup of coffee.
The next 2 weekends should be insanity at any of the boat launches for Lake WA. This weekend is supposed to be gorgeous and next weekend is Seafair. I'm sure there will be plenty of gripes and interesting stories coming on this subject for at least the next few weeks.

Nice pic by the way.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:08 am

Hey racfish, I'm neither. However, I think you have your stereotypes mixed-up. The last thing one should expect out of a Boeing or Government employee is hustle and logic, they are union after all.

Sorry I couldn't help myself! For the one or two of you out there that does bust their butt, I apologize. :-"

I understand that there are people of all skill levels and experience who boat, I just expect that the more you do a task the better and faster you will get at it. Am I wrong in thinking this way? Heck I'd have fired everyone of my employees if they didn't improve their output as they gained experience. Keep in mind that those folks who are getting in and out in a hurry are making up for those that don't, without them the ramps would be even worse in the Summer. I think you will also find that these same people are the ones who will lend a hand or offer advice to others.

That being said, I think the original message is being lost as the thread goes on: go prepared, think ahead and treat others as you would have them treat you. That is all this is really about and all any one of us can ask of another.

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:15 am

This is proabably a dumb question but it comes into my head every single time I wait in line to load. I have only owned one boat in my life (bass boat) and have no experience with any other boat. All of us that own bass boats drive our boats on to the trailer, jump up to the deck, put the hook on and go. Are bass boat trailers unique in that they can be driven on rather than winched on? It literally takes me less than a minute to launch or load. In a 100 boat tournament field it will take less than 45 minutes with 2 lanes start to finish. I have seen many boaters take 20 minutes for one boat in the loading process alone. I am assuming that these trailers must be unique in that sense because I get a lot of people that makes comments about driving on to the trailer when I'm at the launch. Most of them act like they have never seen anyone do that before. I'm not being critical just curious.

The only frustration I have at the launch is the guy who is just flat inconsiderate. I would bet that he is that way all the time and not just at the launch. I have no problem if a guy is struggling. We should all realize that not everyone launches 50-60 times a year. Some guys are only on the water a couple of times a season.

Pradeep
Warrant Officer

Post by Pradeep » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:18 am

[quote] G-man
That being said, I think the original message is being lost as the thread goes on: go prepared, think ahead and treat others as you would have them treat you. That is all this is really about and all any one of us can ask of another.

Perfectly said right there.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:33 pm

DesertCreek,

Power loading can be done with most any boat. I do the exact same thing with my rig and I've got a deep v hull. I only power it up all the way if I'm in the salt or on a solid concrete ramp. Do that on a soft launch and you'll erode the bottom and put holes where trailer tires may find them. If a boat has rollers you just need to keep the motor in gear until you have secured the bow and snugged up the boat with the winch, easy peasy lemon squeezy.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:12 pm

Now that statement I can agree with totally. I prep my boat the night before.My only thing that slows me down are broken bones,back,Legs, and ribs from my earlier life.Bass boats arent that much easier .I think its an age thing for me. Im not gonna even try to jump off the bow onto a 3" wide tounge to hook up.My body dosent do that.Have some consideration for handicapped folks,have some compassion in your life.Not all of us are member of "back it up and in quick club".There is a lil word called "patience".

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:15 pm

Rac most people here have no problem waiting if you are prepared the POINT is be prepared like you do!!! So if someone is disabled and going slow but they were ready = no problem!!!
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:18 pm

racfish wrote:That being said, I think the original message is being lost as the thread goes on: go prepared, think ahead and treat others as you would have them treat you. That is all this is really about and all any one of us can ask of another.

Now that statement I can agree with totally. I prep my boat the night before.My only thing that slows me down are broken bones,back,Legs, and ribs from my earlier life.Bass boats arent that much easier .I think its an age thing for me. Im not gonna even try to jump off the bow onto a 3" wide tounge to hook up.My body dosent do that.Have some consideration for handicapped folks,have some compassion in your life.Not all of us are member of "back it up and in quick club".There is a lil word called "patience".
I think my question of whether or not all boats can power loaded has been answered. My next question is why don't more people do it? Especially those that are physically challenged. You can't tell me winching your boat onto your trailer is less physically demanding than letting your outboard do the work. I have been operating under the assumption that all of those guys winching there boats had no other choice. If you are winching your boat onto your trailer of your own free will....that's not inconsiderate or slow it's just DUMB. As far as attaching the hook goes...you are going to have to get out of your boat eventually so why not get out after the boat is on the trailer.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:13 pm

Desertcreek wrote:
racfish wrote:That being said, I think the original message is being lost as the thread goes on: go prepared, think ahead and treat others as you would have them treat you. That is all this is really about and all any one of us can ask of another.

I think my question of whether or not all boats can power loaded has been answered. My next question is why don't more people do it? Especially those that are physically challenged. You can't tell me winching your boat onto your trailer is less physically demanding than letting your outboard do the work. I have been operating under the assumption that all of those guys winching there boats had no other choice. If you are winching your boat onto your trailer of your own free will....that's not inconsiderate or slow it's just DUMB. As far as attaching the hook goes...you are going to have to get out of your boat eventually so why not get out after the boat is on the trailer.
Hang on there, Nelly! Dumb would be a bit harsh, IMHO. I'll do both, but most of them time I'll crank, depending on which boat I have out (18 ft fiberglass seaswirl or 15 ft aluminum lake boat). My friend Bob Johansen drives his bass boat on every time. Personally, I think there's a lot more involved here. I'm guessing the vast majority of those that use the winch haven't really considered driving the boat up on the trailer. Can you imagine, if backing a trailer is something done just a couple times a year and is hard enough, the idea of driving the boat on the trailer would be very intimidating to some. It also depends on if I'm alone or not. If I have someone with me that can connect the boat, you bet, I'll drive it on. But if I'm by myself I'd rather just guide it on by hand and not worry about scrambling through the cuddy, to the bow, and connecting while the motor is running in gear (which is the only way it'll work with my boat and rollers).

I do a lot of my fishing on weekdays, which is the BEST way to avoid this whole issue, if you have that luxury. #-o

I wonder how that guy drove down the ramp like that? There's a lousy start to the weekend.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:59 am

I only have a hand winch. There are many forms of being handicapped my friend. My handicap isnt a stregnth isuue. Calling people dumb is wrong. You seem to be one of those inpatient people. My handicap is none visable. Its called Blood Clots.I cant afford to bruise or cut myself cuz a med I take called Coumadin.You seem to know all about people with dissabilities so I wont explain any further. So before you think something is DUMB remember we cant spell dumb without u....