pinks are coming

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
curado
Admiral

RE:pinks are coming

Post by curado » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:07 pm

anybody want to meet when they hit the rivers. bring a 5wt flyrod for a real blast
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:17 am

:cheers: Talked with Swede the other day and he has picked up almost 30 kings so far in the past few weeks. The Kings are ready for pickin' and the fisherman are a grinnin" :-) If you follow Swede's techniques you will be bringing home fish for sure! I watched the boats coming in at Mukiteo over the weekend and a lot of fish were seen and most were saying that they through back several. Looks like a good year is on tap for Kings! I hope the Skagit River has a bunch of kings coming in right now....I expect the rain is going to make them head to the spawning grounds soon. Have fun ...Good luck to all...:pl:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Pradeep
Warrant Officer

Post by Pradeep » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:19 am

Wish I knew how and where to fish for them without a down rigger =:(

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:29 am

You don't need downriggers to fish for pinks. They travel right on the surface and in schools. You can cruise around the the folks stuck on dodgers and downriggers and when you see them catch one start chucking a pink buzz bomb, a pink spoon or a pink jig and have a lot more fun with a small fish on minimal tackle. Notice the common thread for gear.......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Pradeep
Warrant Officer

Post by Pradeep » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:34 am

Cool! Thanks for the tip Bodofish.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:50 am

Pradeep wrote:Wish I knew how and where to fish for them without a down rigger =:(
You don't need a down rigger...Try mooching...here is place to tell you how.... http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/salmon/how_to_c ... olling.htm I fished like this for many years and caught lot's of Salmon..... We didn't get downriggers on our boat for almost 25years and then they weren't electric and I didn't use them all that much.. I like them now but Motor mooching always worked well. As for a place to go, try Jefferson Head , Point No Point, Possession Bar and Scatchet Head. And if the big kings start up the Skagit River then the Old standby area of Hope Island will be a hot spot! If you are going for Humpies then look at the video that Mike Carey did at Humpie Hollow off the east side beach going from Edmonds to Mukilteo is easy to fish.....Use a 4oz lead white flasher and pink hoochie. Many stores have the setup already made up. Good luck to you...Steve

If you don't have a boat then try Bush Point with Buzzbombs or watch the Forums here for postings of places to get salmon this season...I can almost guarantee that there will be lots of postings...Last years postings will give you a good idea of where to fish.... Again, good Luck ....:-)

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Pradeep
Warrant Officer

Post by Pradeep » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:02 am

Thanks FC! I've got a boat. Now focused on crabbing but figured what they hey, while letting the pots soak, why not try and catch something. Thanks for the link too.

bluebullitt2003
Petty Officer

Post by bluebullitt2003 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:30 am

has anyone heard anything about the sequim area and pinks? I just bought some beach property right off diamond point and i heard there is some amazing pink fishing there, but I was hoping if anyone had heard if they are in that far yet?
<*)))><

fulkerl
Angler

Post by fulkerl » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:46 am

bluebullitt2003, By looking at the Puget Sound Creel Report they have been getting a few last week, looks like about a fish per boat. I bet that number jumps this week.

fulkerl
Angler

Post by fulkerl » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:50 am

bluebullitt2003, here is the link if you want to keep an eye on it. http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/creel/puget/

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:01 pm

i am thinking that they should be in the rivers by the 16 of august
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:52 pm

any ideas on how Carkeek park is for pinks?
I wanna do some wade-in beach fishing this summer but not quite sure where to go...

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:54 pm

not just pinks...but any salmon for that matter.

bluebullitt2003
Petty Officer

Post by bluebullitt2003 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:53 pm

thanks a bunch guys, i didnt know they had reports of all the salmon like that.but i appreceiate all the info :)
<*)))><

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:57 pm

For your Information:

July 6 - 12, 2009 Anglers 2107 Pinks 497
July 9 - 15, 2007 Anglers 1234 Pinks 536
July 11-17, 2005 Anglers 1357 Pinks 341

Peninsula creel count.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:38 am

ckim85 wrote:any ideas on how Carkeek park is for pinks?
I wanna do some wade-in beach fishing this summer but not quite sure where to go...
ckim85 - check out my latest report for area 10.... :-"
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:45 am

hey Gringo,
thanks! I remember reading that report and wondering where it was.
I think as soon as high and low tide timing gets all figured out, I'll be out there early saturday and sunday mornings.
I may try it out this weekend sometime in the afternoon-evening during incoming tide.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:14 am

ckim85 wrote:hey Gringo,
thanks! I remember reading that report and wondering where it was.
I think as soon as high and low tide timing gets all figured out, I'll be out there early saturday and sunday mornings.
I may try it out this weekend sometime in the afternoon-evening during incoming tide.
I was down there last Sunday evening at high tide, caught on little 8" cut, but that was it. Good luck, I will watch for your reports and maybe see you down there. Look for the trashed green baseball cap and hip waders.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:29 am

sounds great.

I may actually end up going tomorrow evening around 6 PM or so.
I'm the guy in the white polo cap with brown chest waders on.

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:50 pm

I think I'm going to bring along a medium weight rod and see if I can use it on my down rigger without breaking it. Maybe troll a pink coyote by itself just to see if that works. I agree that catching the pinks on light gear is a blast for sure. I'm no expert. I am sure there are many methods and set ups for pink salmon.

that sounds like it will work dave. if I can't locate the schools I might try the pink coyote spoon. my fifteen foot aluminum already has down riggers set up!
hurdle the dead and trample the weak