Pateros/the mouth of the Methow...Help!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
rseas
Commander

Pateros/the mouth of the Methow...Help!

Post by rseas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:44 pm

My son and I will have an opportunity to fish the Columbia system in the vicinity of Pateros/the mouth of the Methow for a couple days next week (7/13-7/16). I assume that our target species will be chinook salmon but I know that the WDFG has recently opened the area to sockeye salmon as well. I am not familiar with the area so any advice, launch recommendations, tackle requirements or fishing locations will be welcome. My boat, a 16’ G3 is set up to fish. Equipment to note: 6 rod holders, fish finder, electric trolling motor and downrigger. We fish often, targeting multiple species but have never fished the Pateros area.

I would consider meeting somebody in the local area and buddy boating or if you have experience fishing the area but no boat we could work something out. I am not sure that my PM feature is working so please reply via e-mail. I will not have access to the computer after Saturday but will be available at my cell phone, again e-mail me and if somebody is interested we can exchange phone numbers.

kingcatcher
Petty Officer

RE:Pateros/the mouth of the Methow...Help!

Post by kingcatcher » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:53 am

this morning i watched "seasons on the fly" and they were fishing the methow and there is a lot of steelhead in it and is great for fly fishing. cant help u on what to use just know there is some good fish in that river.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:01 pm

For Kings I'd be targeting the mouth of the Okanogan. It's a little run from the mouth of the Pateros but, there and the foot of Wells dam is where you want to be if you want Kings. For me they're a little on the dark side. Steelhead at the confulence, use a black and white or purple and white marabou jigs tipped with a chunk of raw prawn under a bobber. Make sure no one can claim you're fishing for trout on the river from Chief Joe to the Pacific its closed to trout fishing. If you like fishing for Bass it's suposed to be good smallie fishing in lake Pateros.

PS there is a launch at the bottom of Wells Dam and one at the confluence and one just up the street from the Pateros Motel.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:41 pm

fish a 1oz pyrimid sinker and let it bounce across the bottom with herring, prawns, sand shrimp, eggs and the kings or steelhead should hit that.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:54 pm

Sorry, no bouncing to be done. The bottom is covered with mill foil. Float from the bobber only. The fishery is in the confluence of the two rivers. Once in the Methow proper its selective gear only. Fished there many years. You could also pull hotshots or wigglers both have been productive, especially at night.

The King fishery is a very fickled beast when you get to Lk Pateros. 75% of the time the fish have lock jaw and won't bite. The people that catch fish are lucky to be there on the one day of the week they're biting or they spend a lot of time trying. Better luck is throwing plugs at the base of Wells dam.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:57 pm

i for got about that.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Big D

Post by Big D » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Bottom bouncing at the foot of Wells dam is going OK right now. Night time is the best time for fishing below Wells and the best way is using a couple of glow in the dark corkies and roe. (See photo) 27lbs last summer. I've got a friend that lives in Chelan and he's down there every night. He has pulled several kings already this season and reports that the boat fishermen are doing better than the shore fishermen using flashers & Brad's super baits baited with tuna off of the riggers.
Also if you make the run from Brewster up to the mouth of the Okanogan DON'T run mid channel...That part of the river eats lower units for breakfast.
Attachments
27lbs.jpg
27lbs.jpg (16.84 KiB) Viewed 2104 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:19 pm

You were given the name and number of Bob's Triangle Shell, when you were asking for Bridgport SP/Rufus info. I would start there...it's likely all you will need.
(Nice pix Biggy)
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Nice job D!!!! I concur on the bottom of the dam! When they sit in the lake for a bit they get pretty dark (can you say boot).
Mav, to add to that the hardware store in Pateros normally has good advice and may still the entry forms for the derby........ if it's still going on. If I recall it's a sort of long term deal and you don't have to be present to win. Support the locals. =)

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14 pm

The Famous URB Kings come in all shapes and sizes and the weather and heat at times demand the show needed to be a fish hog.

Swede fished for others on the Methow and used drift boats and did so very early or very late and find the longer more progressive seams and deeper tail outs.

One thing they are very oily and rich and even a firetruck King will hit the BBQ in most cases and eat swell.

Float fishing candy cane roe.
Wrapped kwickfish
Magnum wiggle warts
Even drift fishing he has taken some hogs and the sticks/rowing the best application to cover the most productive holding waters.

Waiting on a anchor is a choice we don't make we are the top predators of the food chain and we search and destroy fish.

Scent is key as well and it gets real hot wait until early evenings and very early mornings to wake and shake them up.

My only choice would be a drifter or jet boat not a prop but many use them and its all about choices we just like the beef and the burn. If you are using a prop boat then be careful if this is your first run up.

Fish the edges as well very early there always over looked and as the heat increases they look for deeper cooler holes and rich aireated waters

Tight Lines

Here's a pic that Swede posted a while back and had it mounted. I never got one quite this big! but you never know!...LOL Good luck to you....Lot's of info for you in this forum ..You had better post a pic or two..:-) Steve
Attachments
69lber.jpg
69lber.jpg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:54 am

I fished Wanapum Dam for the opener and there was quite a few fish being caught. The ones that I saw were all in pretty good shape.

The go to method was what Big D mentioned.

There was also quite a few fish stacked up below Priest Rapids Dam, but we were told they were all sockeye.

I bank fished both spots and had no luck at PRD. But at wanapum in about 4 hours of fishing I landed a 3lb jack and had 2 other solid hook ups. All 3 fish came on pink jigs. My buddy had a few fish on throwing wiggle warts and plunking eggs and spin and glows.

The bugs were TERRIBLE. We gave up fishing for that only reason. When driving home from Wanapum dam it sounded like I was driving in a hail storm there was so many bugs hitting the wind shield.

Big D

Post by Big D » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:05 pm

Here's the rig to use while bottom bouncing from the shore below Wells Dam.

It consists of two 1/0 or 2/0 hooks and two glow in the dark corkies.

Step 1) Tie the first hook to the leader using an egg loop knot.
Step 2) Place two glow in the dark corkies on the leader.
Step 3) Tie the second hook onto the leader using an egg loop knot so that it rests on top of the upper corkie.
Step 3) Run a tooth pick through the two corkies fastening them together. This helps reduce tangles.

During daylight hours I use roe on the upper hook.
Here’s a big secret that I will probably be killed for letting out. After the sun drops down behind the cliffs stop using roe/bait and pull out your old non-working 110 camera that you purchased from Good Will or Saint Vinnies for a buck or two and charge the glow in the dark corkies using the flash.
Is that homeland security knocking at my door?
Attachments
Corkie__egg_loop.jpg
Corkie__egg_loop.jpg (39 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:15 pm

:-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ Big D????? #-o #-o #-o #-o

The other good one is flashing wigglers, don't forget to change the hooks, no trebles. They work on the metal heads too, no flash needed.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:50 pm

I thought that I would offer a quick thank you for everybody’s time and insight. We’ll be pulling out tomorrow morning for a family vacation. We are camping on the Methow in the Winthrop area but Tuesday my son and I will be taking the drive to the Columbia. I’ll be talking to the Shell station there in Brewster before making any final decisions. Again thank you and I’ll post the results in a week or so.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:51 pm

I thought that I would offer a quick thank you for everybody’s time and insight. We’ll be pulling out tomorrow morning for a family vacation. We are camping on the Methow in the Winthrop area but Tuesday my son and I will be taking the drive to the Columbia. I’ll be talking to the Shell station there in Brewster before making any final decisions. Again thank you and I’ll post the results in a week or so.