Longer Chinook Fishing Season in Sinclair Inlet in 2012

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
shawn
Commander

Longer Chinook Fishing Season in Sinclair Inlet in 2012

Post by shawn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:52 pm

OK fresh out of the local newspaper.

Longer Chinook Fishing Season in Sinclair Inlet Starting in 2012
By Christopher Dunagan (Contact)
Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Three years from now, anglers and tribal fishermen should be able to catch chinook salmon in Sinclair Inlet during July — a month earlier than they can now — thanks to a new hatchery program.

The Suquamish Tribe, which operates rearing ponds in Gorst, are releasing two stocks of chinook fry this year instead of one. The newly added fish, which originated at Minter Creek Hatchery in South Puget Sound, tend to return in July and August.

In the past, the tribe has used chinook from Grover’s Creek Hatchery in North Kitsap. Those fish normally return in August and September. As a result, people who want to fish in Sinclair Inlet have been forced to wait until August to catch salmon.

Sinclair Inlet is a dead end for chinook salmon, since chinook don’t naturally live in area streams. Consequently, virtually all the chinook coming back to Gorst are hatchery fish, and fishers — tribal and nontribal — are encouraged to catch every one they can.

This year, the tribe released 900,000 juvenile chinook from Minter Creek and another 900,000 from Grover’s Creek.

“When these fish return in three years, we want to see if we can have a longer fishing season in Sinclair Inlet by bringing in an early-returning fish,” said Mike Huff, manager of the Gorst Creek facility.

The Grover’s Creek stock has survived well for many years, he said. Now studies will determine if the Minter Creek stock perform equally well. The Minter Creek hatchery is operated by the state Department of Fish and Wildlife.

“These fish are for everyone, tribal and nontribal fishermen,” Huff said. “The more we have, the better opportunities for all.”

Cleanup fisheries, like those in Sinclair Inlet, are rare, because most areas within Puget Sound contain a significant proportion of wild chinook, which are listed as “threatened” under the Endangered Species Act.

Like all hatchery salmon, fish released from Gorst are marked with a clipped adipose fin to help fishers distinguish them from wild chinook. They become available for harvest anywhere from coastal areas all the way into Sinclair Inlet.

The Gorst facility is a partnership between the Suquamish Tribe, state Department of Fish and Wildlife, the city of Bremerton and volunteers from the Kitsap Poggie Club.

For a discussion about water-related issues, check out the blog Watching Our Water Ways at kitsapsun.com.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

DaKanati
Petty Officer

RE:Longer Chinook Fishing Season in Sinclair Inlet in 2012

Post by DaKanati » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:10 am

sweeeet! 20 minutes from my house, and already a decent fishery

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:25 am

:-$ :cheers: :chef: :bounce:

I have bumbed ](*,) into 9 Minter creek fish:sunny:

This is Great news for each and all=d>
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:04 am

thats a lot of kings
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:48 am

The nicest thing about that is I dont see any "look at me" signs there. THey did it for the fishermen. very nice in todays political agenda of charity

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:31 pm

Seems to me like they're extending it then for the tribal fishermen because they released 2 stocks of fish haha. It's horrible how they put nets across the whole bay down there by Gorst, how has the fishery in Sinclair the last few years anyways? We haven't really been fishing in there for the past few years, before I know it was pretty good for kings.

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:20 am

jbball50 wrote:Seems to me like they're extending it then for the tribal fishermen because they released 2 stocks of fish haha. It's horrible how they put nets across the whole bay down there by Gorst, how has the fishery in Sinclair the last few years anyways? We haven't really been fishing in there for the past few years, before I know it was pretty good for kings.
It was alright last year. We did decent since that run is the first one localy to start then its off to some better areas but a decent starting point.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:45 am

#-o Has anyone done a survey to find out how many or what percentage of Wild Salmon go through Sinclair Inlet? I know of some that have been caught.... are you saying that the fish coming in the inlet are hatchery only? It is a great thing to open the fishery up when the fish are actually there. The Puget Sound Marlin Derby has always had problems with the season openers not coenciding with derby....:-) :cheers: Maybe the state is doing something right! Sinclair inlet will be full of boats of all sizes and who knows, maybe bass fisherman in tubes. Going to be fun!!!

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:42 pm

fishing collector wrote:#-o Has anyone done a survey to find out how many or what percentage of Wild Salmon go through Sinclair Inlet? I know of some that have been caught.... are you saying that the fish coming in the inlet are hatchery only? It is a great thing to open the fishery up when the fish are actually there. The Puget Sound Marlin Derby has always had problems with the season openers not coenciding with derby....:-) :cheers: Maybe the state is doing something right! Sinclair inlet will be full of boats of all sizes and who knows, maybe bass fisherman in tubes. Going to be fun!!!
I know that in Gorst where Gorst Creek goes to the hatchery. That particular hatchery is a terminal hatchery. My grandps told me when he was a kid and he is 75 that there were no king salmon there in gorst until the indians started the hatchery with state cooperation.So I dont think there are any native fish there but I have been wrong before.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:14 pm

Yeah I think the only wild salmon that are in there are the silvers, I can't really remember ever catching a wild king there.