Drop Shot Rods

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishingmachine
Admiral

Drop Shot Rods

Post by fishingmachine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:19 pm

For all you drop shot guys what is your rod choice length and brand. Im looking for a new one

tagwatson360
Commander

RE:Drop Shot Rods

Post by tagwatson360 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:42 pm

Lamiglas Certified Pro XS661. You will love this rod. Guaranteed.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:02 pm

I cant find that model Tag. How long is the rod. i found the xps662 and xps702

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:08 pm

6'6"

Here's a Cabelas link:

Cabela Rod Link

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:32 pm

tagwatson360 wrote:Lamiglas Certified Pro XS661. You will love this rod. Guaranteed.
+1 That's the exact same rod I have and it's awesome! Plus, you can get it for 15% off if you order it through the quest web site, and use the DWPROMO code. Good through the end of the month. Haven't compared the sites cost to the link Mike provided. Good luck!
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:51 pm

David THANK YOU
I just ordered the rod off the site and used the promo. I cant wait to get it. Thanks again.

Would love to fish sometime with u.

FishingMachine

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:52 pm

Just compared prices out of curiousity. Here is the quest link...http://www.shop.questfishing.net/produc ... oductId=42
it's listed there for $167.95 - not including the discount code I provided

Cabelas listing is $189.99
Dave
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:55 pm

Well David after seeing your price it was a no brainer. Rod is ordered and i cant wait to nail some fiesty smallies on it.

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:55 pm

fishingmachine wrote:David THANK YOU
I just ordered the rod off the site and used the promo. I cant wait to get it. Thanks again.

Would love to fish sometime with u.

FishingMachine
Very cool! I didn't see your reply before i had posted mine with the price compares, but really glad you were able to take advantage of the code! As Tag said, you will love that rod! I also have found it great for shakey head jig fishing too!

I'll let you give me a fishing lesson on Pine Lake sometime machine! :cheers:

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:57 pm

Lol David. It would be my pleasure to let you in on some of my spots on pine. Their is a spot i know that holds a 6+ lb smallie and a spot that holds a 7+ lb largie.

DougShields.com
Petty Officer

Post by DougShields.com » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:56 pm

This is a great question. The rod is very important in successful drop shot fishing. The fishing rod you have described would work extremely well. Here is an idea at the other end of the price spectrum.

One of the parts of fishing providing some extra entertainment is to try different types of equipment. One of the most successful has been a Berkley Cherrywood Graphite CWS702M. This 7ft medium spinning rod sells for as little as $17.99 and the most I have paid was $19.99 and the later has been the most often found price. I have an Okuma Ignite it-30 on this particular rod for about $30 and it has been a fantastic combo with the light braided line, fluorocarbon leader and Owner down shot cutting point hook. Another savings idea working well for us is using #2 split shot weights instead of special down shot weights for far higher prices. I also use the 6'6" in this Cherrywood class.

Most likely not enough backbone to cast into the pads etc, but I use it for smallies, trout, mackinaw and steelhead off a downrigger.

The young man pictured insisted on using equipment he was sure would work better most of the day and was not able to bring a fish to the boat. Finally "made" him use one of the 7ft Cherrywoods and it was literally seconds until he had one on you see pictured below. (It was landed)
Attachments
Rusty_e-mail_size.JPG
Rusty_e-mail_size.JPG (61.12 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:23 am

DougShields.com wrote:This is a great question. The rod is very important in successful drop shot fishing. The fishing rod you have described would work extremely well. Here is an idea at the other end of the price spectrum.

One of the parts of fishing providing some extra entertainment is to try different types of equipment. One of the most successful has been a Berkley Cherrywood Graphite CWS702M. This 7ft medium spinning rod sells for as little as $17.99 and the most I have paid was $19.99 and the later has been the most often found price. I have an Okuma Ignite it-30 on this particular rod for about $30 and it has been a fantastic combo with the light braided line, fluorocarbon leader and Owner down shot cutting point hook. Another savings idea working well for us is using #2 split shot weights instead of special down shot weights for far higher prices. I also use the 6'6" in this Cherrywood class.

Most likely not enough backbone to cast into the pads etc, but I use it for smallies, trout, mackinaw and steelhead off a downrigger.

The young man pictured insisted on using equipment he was sure would work better most of the day and was not able to bring a fish to the boat. Finally "made" him use one of the 7ft Cherrywoods and it was literally seconds until he had one on you see pictured below. (It was landed)
It is very cool that you mention this! I think I have that exact madel and bought it for about that price.

Back to the subject really quickly. I use the Lamiglas Certified Pro Drop Shot Special. It is 7' long and has a Medium Light Power and Moderate Fast Action. This rod is money, but it isn't cheap.

Back to the cherrywood rod. I was pleasantly surprised at how sensitive a rod it is at this price point. Matter of fact, every time my dad visits, I offer him my DS rod and he always insists on using the cherrywood.

My first three smallies I ever caught were with the cherrywood. Combine that with 6# mono or fc line and the spinning reel of your choice and you will have a drop shot fish catching machine. To parallel Doug's setup, I usually have the abu garcia cardinal 101a spinning reel which is about $30. For hooks, I use the downshots for when I prefer to T-rig the bait. If not, then the Owner Mosquito in size 2 and as a 2nd choice, Gammie Drop shot hooks.

It just goes to show you don't need to spend too much to acquire a functional ds rig.

-ib

I wrote an article on drop shotting in which I mentioned that the cherrywood is sufficiently sensitive for drop shotting.

DougShields.com
Petty Officer

Post by DougShields.com » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:10 pm

Appreciate the great response islandbass! Your last line in the response has me intrigued...where is the article? Is it on this site or some other location we can access?

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:46 pm

Doug,

It took me a minute to find it. It is here:

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReadArticle.aspx?id=260

Funny that I forgot I wrote it but your cherrywood rod post triggered my memory. No expert article, just my take on the drop shot.

-Alex

marktfd88
Petty Officer

Post by marktfd88 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:47 pm

Powell rod. Yes I prostaff for them. Yes they make a great rod. Yes I have fished better rods, but not for the price. Where else can you get a premium rod with a lifetime warranty for a $100 bucks.
Rods range from 6'8" to 7'3" in light to medium actions depending on what you need. I personally have a 7' med light and a 6'8" medium action for dropshotting around docks, brush, and cover.

Mark
Limit Out Performance Marine
Powell Rods
P-Line
Owner Hooks

WCCT
Lieutenant

Post by WCCT » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:03 pm

I would have to go with the Kistler Magnesium drophot rod. I have fished Loomis, Lamiglas, and Rogues, and this rod is the real deal.
PowerTeam Lures Pro Staff
[http://www.powerteamlures.com/?Click=2818]

noxcape
Petty Officer

Post by noxcape » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:59 pm

crucial drop shot rd by shimano i love this rod

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:27 am

My tourney partner uses that rod as well, super light and sensitive. Definitely a nice rod!

DougShields.com
Petty Officer

Post by DougShields.com » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:21 pm

Another rod and reel producing great results: The Pflueger one piece 7' graphite model PFTRSP 70 1M Medium Action combo with the Pflueger "Trion" 7 bearing system spinning reel. I picked the combo up at a close out price of $45. The rod is very sensitive and yet strong...too strong to enjoy small fish, but it sure is great for catching! Buying this was purely by happenstance as I was not looking to buy anything, just went to the store with a friend as he was looking for other equipment. What a find it turned out to be.

It does have the backbone to handle the pads etc. for bass as well as the larger steelhead off the downrigger. I have not priced this combo elsewhere. It is the best reel I have ever owned.
Attachments
fishing_emoticon_158x188.png
fishing_emoticon_158x188.png (28.81 KiB) Viewed 3394 times

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:31 pm

Im happy with my Cabelas series xmlti DS 6'9" rod..Retails for $189"on sale now 69$ i believe..love the open handles so i get more of the blank feel..Easy to feel bottom contour and the slightest inhale:cheers: Paired with a pfluegar supreme spincast..spiderwire 10lb"2lb dia." and berkley 100% floro leader..gamakatsu splitshot dropshot #2 or #4 hook...works good for me:cheers: Just make sure to buy a 1 piece rod vs.2 piece..The site does not show the "b" handle either why i dont know..Happy shopping
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/