1.3 million pinks in the green this year

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
cmessling07
Petty Officer

1.3 million pinks in the green this year

Post by cmessling07 » Wed May 30, 2007 12:48 am

that is an amazing amount of fish. I've never fished for pinks, do they taste good? how do they fight and what would one use to catch one?! =)

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

RE:1.3 million pinks in the green this year

Post by Easy Limits » Wed May 30, 2007 7:21 am

Everyone has their own opinion about pinks. They are not known to be as good table fare as king or coho but a lot of people like them. Pinks smoke up nice. As far as fight goes they are excellent. Very scrappy fish for their size. I had often confused them for a king when fishing off of Redondo until I got the fish to the surface and saw it was a six pound pink. If you get a chance to fish for them inside the Green, do it! Tossing Dick Nite spoons will catch a bunch.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 30, 2007 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed May 30, 2007 10:18 am

What size dick nite, the same size used for trout? Im new to this too but Im waking up early on friday and hitting the green. I am going to look for places on the river and talk to a tackle shop for tips

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

Post by Easy Limits » Wed May 30, 2007 10:39 am

The same size you would use for trout will work fine for pinks.

Try scouting out the access to the river off Pacific Hwy. by the Ford dealership just before E. Marginal Way. I think it's S. 112th or S. 116th.

jdimonda
Petty Officer

Post by jdimonda » Wed May 30, 2007 11:43 am

I like to use Pot-o-Gold's Humpy Specials

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Wed May 30, 2007 6:48 pm

It seems kind of strange but an 1/8 ounce painted jig red, white or, pink with a salty tube same colors works great on the Green River.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

Eddie L
Warrant Officer

Post by Eddie L » Wed May 30, 2007 10:35 pm

Another good place to get them from the bank while they're still in the salt,Lincoln Park with the smaller pink Buzz bombs.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:52 pm

When are they supposed to be running in the green

cmessling07
Petty Officer

Post by cmessling07 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:05 pm

I am pretty sure that the Green doesn't open for salmon until August 1st. Pinks can be in there as early as mid June with the majority coming in late july-mid august. They can be caught all the way out until October from what i understand. I've been doing some research on these suckers! haha

cmessling07
Petty Officer

Post by cmessling07 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:36 am

anyone know any nice spots on the green. THe one by the Ford Dealership on 99 is nice, along with the area along the soccer fields in Kent, Flaming geyser(before the rafters arrive) and under the 18 bridge in black diamond. Anyone know any other places worth fishing for trout now, or even salmon/steelhead as the summer progresses?

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:41 pm

There is a very nice fishing beach. It is right behind the best westen is south center. I dont know how productive it is. Iv only fished it once, but it is a deep stretch and hardly no current. The beach is a nice size too. Both times Iv been there I was the only one there, there is also a fire pit, just a simple one made from rocks. I havnt had a fire but it would be a good palce to cook some food over a fire while fishing. To the right side of the beach there is a pretty strong current, but to the left side there is hardely no current , you could cast out powerbait with a 1 oz weight and have no problem if you really want to

Another good place is Fory Dent park. I just started fishing the green. I fished it before when I was young but not too hard. So I dont know how productive this spot is either but there is great bank access here too. And there is a lot of stuff to do so a BBQ or bringing along the whole family wouldnt be a bad idea either

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:36 pm

I'd try fishing them in the salt if you wanna throw em on the BBQ....Get em at Humpy Hollow...Not hard to find...Just go where the other 5000 boats are...Don't worry, everyone still gets fish....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

Post by Easy Limits » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:28 pm

The beach at Deception Pass SP is also excellent for pink fishing. Fish the out going tide.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:24 pm

Eddie L wrote:Another good place to get them from the bank while they're still in the salt,Lincoln Park with the smaller pink Buzz bombs.
Whats the regs as far as pinks go? And how long are they in the salt around Lincoln for? I'm gonna go try this very soon!

justinc210
Angler

Post by justinc210 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:25 am

I know that pink colored spoons work well for pinks, but it always seems difficult to keep one in the fishable part of the river while casting from the bank. What about using one behind a heavy dropper, similar to a plunking rig in order to keep it our in the water longer? Wouldn't that increase your chances, especially during the day when they are hanging out near the bottom of the river?

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:50 pm

I'm headed up to sekui in a couple of weeks to intecept a few..

so there may not be quite 1.3 million left by the time I'm through...
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:31 am

Now im interested in this.

some of questions:

What type of rod/reel?
i have my cardinal 100 and a medium action 7ft quantum.
but if that not right, my dad will let me use his 8'6" eagle claw granger grx medium heavy spinning reel with a large Pinnacle Spinning Reel

Location?
I will proboly be allowed to fish the river before the sound, so anybody know where would be good for a begginner on the river?

Action?
is there a good chance of catching some with the right techniques?

Catch and Release?
My dad said he wont touch and pink, so is it legal to release them?

Also.
Are they the salmons with the huge hump on thier back?
Opening Day
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

cmessling07
Petty Officer

Post by cmessling07 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:05 pm

If you are solely fishing for pinks you could use either of those reels. hell, you could bust out a medium action trout pole and have some real fun. They only weigh in the 4-6 pound range. The Green River always has a good return but you need to fish pretty close to the sound as the fish dont come very far downstream(5-10 miles max). When they start really comin' in you can catch them off local piers like the dash point. If you wanna try them on the river in a couple weeks send me a PM. I myself am relatively new to river fishin'(2nd year) and im learning myself also because im only 18 haha.

Hope this helps JT

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:39 pm

The old drive in has good bank spots for pinks and kings.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

cmessling07
Petty Officer

Post by cmessling07 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:37 pm

the old drive in? I know I've seen an old drive in somewhere, but what area/town is it in bodo?