small lakes and storm ponds

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

RE:small lakes and storm ponds

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:41 pm

I was thinking the same Kevin ... seems like a good hunting grounds in a float tube!
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:13 pm

come on guys you know i have thought about bringing the float tube. only problem is carrying the float tube pump and gear through the woods. like i said this is pretty thick woods. i guess i could pack it all in a big backpack and try it.

i think i will be able to make it out there on sunday. i will let you guys know how it is.

anybody else ever fish a storm pond thinking no way there is fish in there, and have it turn into a goldmine?
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Kevin K
Warrant Officer

Post by Kevin K » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:56 pm

tnj8222 wrote:come on guys you know i have thought about bringing the float tube. only problem is carrying the float tube pump and gear through the woods. like i said this is pretty thick woods. i guess i could pack it all in a big backpack and try it.
Many tubes have d-rings on the bottom that straps can be hooked to for use as pack straps. Then you can just load the tube on your back fully inflated, which frees your hands for rod and fins. Good luck on you next trip to the pond.

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:25 pm

Kevin K wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:come on guys you know i have thought about bringing the float tube. only problem is carrying the float tube pump and gear through the woods. like i said this is pretty thick woods. i guess i could pack it all in a big backpack and try it.
Many tubes have d-rings on the bottom that straps can be hooked to for use as pack straps. Then you can just load the tube on your back fully inflated, which frees your hands for rod and fins. Good luck on you next trip to the pond.
If this storm pond is like the ones I've fished in Georgia, there's no way I'd take an inflated tube through the woods to get to it. It would most definitely be very uninflated by the time I arrived hehe....
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:06 pm

AaronE wrote:
Kevin K wrote:
If this storm pond is like the ones I've fished in Georgia, there's no way I'd take an inflated tube through the woods to get to it. It would most definitely be very uninflated by the time I arrived hehe....
yeah no chance to bring it inflated. like i said really really thick woods lots of pokeys lol.

i went yesterday and got schooled by a HOG. i straight got powerhoused into the weeds and felt it just shaking her head in the weeds till it came off the hook. i think she even flipped me off before going into the deeper water. coulda even been a state record, i saw her an she was huge. let me repeat HUGE!!! made me feel like i was using a ultralite. my megaforce 7 foot mh rod didnt even stand a chance.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Well just you know where she is at:cheers: Go get her next time and just know it takes luck and skill to land the 6 + lb lm I got schooled and spooled quite a bit the last couple years when I was bass fishing :eye:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:15 pm

fishaholictaz wrote:Well just you know where she is at:cheers: Go get her next time and just know it takes luck and skill to land the 6 + lb lm I got schooled and spooled quite a bit the last couple years when I was bass fishing :eye:
honestly it was my fault for losing the fish. i was catching back to back 4 and 5 pounders and bringing them in like nothing. i shouldnt have casted from the position. i set hook and made that fish run in the weeds and come off. shoulda been smarter about it and casted at that spot from a different angle so i could have gotten the fish out of the cover. i failed before i even hooked the fish.
Anthony

jf0
Petty Officer

Post by jf0 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:40 pm

tnj8222 wrote:
TravisRush wrote:Jersey Mike's is amazing! Nice catches too
jm is cool im the manager for the kent Jersey Mikes, its the training store for the NW. washington lake members gets a free sub. :)
No wonder I always see washington lakes bumper stickers on the cars there. How about this, I'll pay for your subs for a shot in the dark location of that pond!

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:23 pm

tnj8222 wrote:
AaronE wrote:
Kevin K wrote: Many tubes have d-rings on the bottom that straps can be hooked to for use as pack straps. Then you can just load the tube on your back fully inflated, which frees your hands for rod and fins. Good luck on you next trip to the pond.
yeah no chance to bring it inflated. like i said really really thick woods lots of pokeys lol.

i went yesterday and got schooled by a HOG. i straight got powerhoused into the weeds and felt it just shaking her head in the weeds till it came off the hook. i think she even flipped me off before going into the deeper water. coulda even been a state record, i saw her an she was huge. let me repeat HUGE!!! made me feel like i was using a ultralite. my megaforce 7 foot mh rod didnt even stand a chance.
You want me to come out and show you how to bring her in? We're friends. I can do that for a friend.
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:26 pm

Every one needs a friend like that=d>
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:30 pm

AaronE wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:
AaronE wrote: If this storm pond is like the ones I've fished in Georgia, there's no way I'd take an inflated tube through the woods to get to it. It would most definitely be very uninflated by the time I arrived hehe....

You want me to come out and show you how to bring her in? We're friends. I can do that for a friend.
she would have turned that float tube into a ski tube lol.
Anthony

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:16 pm

i fished the pond again today from 5 am to 10 am. with the cold front thats been going on the bite shut down big time. my buddy got the first fish, it was a dink about 10 inches. then i got the second fish around 3 pounds about a hour later, at about 9:30 i was fishing one of the major points on the pond, and spooked a fish when i casted so i just let my senko sit for about 3 minutes, started working it and got a small tic, set hook and the fight was on!!! right away into some grass in the shallows pulled her out and she went for the brush to the left in deep water, turne her away from that had her coming straight at me. when i got her to me she came right up to the top and this fish was all of 8 pounds. i dont think it was the same fish i hooked the other day cause this one just didnt have the same power the other one did. anyways i went to lip her and she freaked out when i reached for her.snap!!! i didnt loosen the drag after setting hook. lost another big fish. one more small dink for the next few minutes and left.
Anthony

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:11 pm

Wow what an esperience. Good thing is you have all summer long to hook them again. Man, thats a good fishin hole.
aka Powerworm

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Hey TnJ,

I would recommend beefing up your line for fishing this pond. Theoretically, the fish aren't going to be line weary at all because of the water clarity, weed growth and lack of fishing pressure. I would use 20 lb. P-Line 100% fluoro or maybe even go with 30 lb. or 50 lb. braid. Since you are just fishing in waders, you don't have the luxury of going to the fish quickly with a boat. You need all the horsing power you can get. The fact that you broke off the fish trying to land it tells me that you are running line that is too light for dealing with 8+ lb. fish in these conditions. Keep up the good work and land those giants next time out.

One little tip for landing big fish with a baitcaster when the drag is cranked down: If you get the fish close to you and it is still full of steam, just push the thumb bar and control the tension on the line with your thumb if she needs one last run. I run my drag very tight so I use this technique often if I have a big fish at the boat that is still "hot". Good luck!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:43 pm

thanks for the tips Tag! i was thinking the same thing i have 30 pound braid right now so i will give that a go. i was using 12 pound test, and that was working fine for the small fish. i hate breaking off a fish! i really dont like the fact i left a hook in a bass.
Anthony

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Hey, TnJ. It's funny, 12 lb. test was exact size I assumed you were running. Like you said, that line size is sufficient for the smaller fish but a big fish in cover can break your heart with 12 lb. test. However, in open water or sparse cover situations, 12 lb. is usually adequate for hooking and landing a big fish with most techniques. With 30 lb. braid, you will likely own the next big fish you hook on that honey hole. Looking forward to pic of that hawg!

fishismylif
Petty Officer

Post by fishismylif » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:35 am

tnj8222 wrote:honestly it was my fault for losing the fish. i was catching back to back 4 and 5 pounders and bringing them in like nothing. i shouldnt have casted from the position. i set hook and made that fish run in the weeds and come off. shoulda been smarter about it and casted at that spot from a different angle so i could have gotten the fish out of the cover. i failed before i even hooked the fish.
hey TNJ i got an tip.

Dont make up stories about how you were catching 4 and 5 pounders like it was nothing!

your such a homosapien
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:21 pm

thanks
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:32 pm

fishismylif wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:honestly it was my fault for losing the fish. i was catching back to back 4 and 5 pounders and bringing them in like nothing. i shouldnt have casted from the position. i set hook and made that fish run in the weeds and come off. shoulda been smarter about it and casted at that spot from a different angle so i could have gotten the fish out of the cover. i failed before i even hooked the fish.
hey TNJ i got an tip.

Dont make up stories about how you were catching 4 and 5 pounders like it was nothing!

your such a homosapien
What does it matter to you?

Find another forum if all your interested in is cutting down other people...

fishismylif
Petty Officer

Post by fishismylif » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:29 pm

can you point me in the direction of a forum that encourages cutting down people that lie in post?