Salmon Chowder

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
DougShields.com
Petty Officer

Salmon Chowder

Post by DougShields.com » Mon May 25, 2009 1:49 pm

We had some leftover Chinook salmon and a little bit of shrimp fed mackinaw as well. (We always cook a little extra, so we can make the following great recipe with natural gourmet ingredients) :chef:
Saute:
3T Butter
3/4 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 clove garlic, minced or powder to taste

ADD
2 c. potatoes, diced
2 cans or 4 cups chicken broth
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp dill weed
2 diced carrots

Simmer for 20 minutes.

ADD
1 can creamed corn
13 oz. can of evaporated milk
10 or more ounces of leftover fish or canned salmon
boneless fillets for us

Heat thoroughly....serve with other favorite garnishes of your choosing. :cheers:
Attachments
salmon_chowder.jpg
salmon_chowder.jpg (40.77 KiB) Viewed 2291 times

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Salmon Chowder

Post by racfish » Tue May 26, 2009 6:36 am

Looks absolutely delicious.I am going to use that recipe but with a few modifications.I cant drink cows milk,so I'll substitue Goat milk.Also will have ti ixnay the butter.One problem only with the picture..The bowl isnt big enough and the spoon is too small.Hehehehe
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:16 am

Big Race stick to Chowder Please:bounce: :chef: :colors:
Zero Mutten chops and chowder combo plates#-o :-" :-({|= :batman: !!!!

DougShields.com
Petty Officer

Post by DougShields.com » Tue May 26, 2009 8:16 am

racfish wrote:Looks absolutely delicious.I am going to use that recipe but with a few modifications.I cant drink cows milk,so I'll substitue Goat milk.Also will have ti ixnay the butter.One problem only with the picture..The bowl isnt big enough and the spoon is too small.Hehehehe
Great ideas on the substitutions. You are right about the bowl not big enough as the picture is of my second helping! :bounce:

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu May 28, 2009 11:11 am

Great lookn chowder DS. I just wish the screen was scratch and sniff. Or scratch and taste. Aaron needs to work on that feature for this forum.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DougShields.com
Petty Officer

Post by DougShields.com » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:15 am

Good one fishnislife! We just had the salmon chowder again! This time my mother-in-law was here to enjoy as well. She took the recipe home. "I can make this!" she said.:chef: :cheers: I gave her a couple of packages of shrimp fed mackinaw as well.:-"

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:33 am

Just did Salmon Gumbo:-$ I sinned a bucket or 2!:cheers: :bounce: :chef:

DougShields.com
Petty Officer

Post by DougShields.com » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:42 pm

swedefish4life1 wrote:Just did Salmon Gumbo:-$ I sinned a bucket or 2!:cheers: :bounce: :chef:
One must indulge as these eats are worth the effort and the walk later!:cheers:

DougShields.com
Petty Officer

Post by DougShields.com » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:54 am

Been too busy to fish and make more...:-({|=

DougShields.com
Petty Officer

Post by DougShields.com » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Change to anti-snagging rule

Action: Changes the definition of the anti-snagging rule to: Except when fishing with a buoyant lure or trolling from a floating device, anglers may use only one single-point hook, measuring no more than ž inch from point to shank. Hooks must be attached to or below the lure or bait. Weights may not be attached below or less than 12 inches above the lure or bait.

A buoyant lure floats on the surface of fresh water when it is not being retrieved by a line.

"Trolling" means fishing from a vessel that is underway and under power.

Effective dates: Immediately until further notice.

Species affected: All species affected by the anti-snagging rule.

Location: All locations where the anti-snagging rule is in effect.

Reasons for action: This change allows additional recreational opportunity by allowing gear types commonly used in salmon fishing while providing protection to fish from snagging.

Information Contact: Fish Program (360) 902-2700.

WDFW modifies anti-snagging rule

OLYMPIA - A modification to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s (WDFW) anti-snagging rule will allow anglers to use a broader range of lures in certain freshwater areas where anti-snagging rules are in effect.

The change goes into effect today, Sept. 9.

The redefined anti-snagging rule states that anglers must follow specific gear requirements, including the use of one, single-point hook, unless they are fishing with a buoyant lure or trolling from a floating device in waters where anti-snagging rules are in effect. Details on the modified rule and gear requirements are available online at https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efis ... jsp?id=813 .

The change alters an anti-snagging rule adopted earlier this year during WDFW’s permanent rule-making process that required anglers to use lures (buoyant or non-buoyant) with single-point hooks while fishing for salmon and steelhead in the mainstem Columbia River from Bonneville Dam to McNary Dam, or fishing for any fish species in other affected rivers.

The single-point hook requirement was intended to address snagging problems, simplify WDFW’s previous non-buoyant lure restriction and allow anglers to more easily release non-target fish such as wild salmon and steelhead, said Craig Burley, WDFW’s fish division manager.

After hearing from members of the public who proposed alternatives to the new single-point hook requirement, the department modified the anti-snagging rule to allow the use of multiple hooks under certain circumstances, Burley said.

"The change adds some complexity to the rule, but we believe it will not interfere with the department’s ability to protect fish from snagging." Burley said.

Burley noted that WDFW will also consider further gear modifications aimed at conserving wild fish populations during the upcoming 2010-2012 sportfishing rule adoption process.

"The department’s priority is to create rules that are designed to protect Washington’s wild fish populations while continuing to provide anglers with sportfishing opportunities," Burley said.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”