Fishing Partner and Small Lakes around Sumner

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BrianM
Petty Officer

Fishing Partner and Small Lakes around Sumner

Post by BrianM » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:14 am

Summary: Age 23, want bass fishing partner (of any age), I float tube, good with smaller lakes but limited big lake experience

It would be nice to go fishing with someone instead of always going by myself. I mainly fish for bass and I do not have a boat, but I do have a float tube. I have been going locally to Jane Lake and Lake Bonney, which are both within a mile of Lake Tapps. If anyone knows of any other float tube accessible lakes, feel free to chime in.

I hardly ever get skunked for largies and normally land some pretty big ones out of Bonney. Nothing HUGE, but mostly around 17 to 20 inches. It would be nice if someone could help me out with different fishing techniques for largemouth. I know of most, but I haven't really had experience with them. I normally just fish a senko type worm, which doesn't give me as many options when I decide to move on to larger bodies of water. I would like to get better with crankbaits and spinners. I can also help someone else out if they wanted to get into bass fishing, but by no means am I a veteran bass fisherman. I started out in Missouri, while at college, and I fished a few big lakes, but mostly ponds around campus. I did get offered to fish in a bass tournament with a guy, but baseball was taking up too much of my time.

I am 23, but I am not that cocky young obnoxious kid that I know some of you are picturing when thinking of a 23 year old.

dilbert
Captain

RE:Fishing Partner and Small Lakes around Sumner

Post by dilbert » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:44 am

17" - 20" out of Bonney? Wow! I've never caught anything that size in there. What part of the lake are you targeting? I'm not sure why, but I've never tried a senko in there.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

BrianM
Petty Officer

Post by BrianM » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:02 pm

I normally catch the bigger ones in the back left part of the lake. If you go from the boat launch and go to the far left corner you are there. Some have been caught under the trees on the right, but just the other day I caught one out in front of a guys house. It was 18" and the guy came out to ask what I had caught and how big it was.

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:01 pm

brian, i need a bass fishing partner myself. I dont have a boat nor a float tube. I go fishing once a week with an older guy (gf's family member) on his boat to clear lake south of graham and catch a few bass each time after fishing for the kokanees. im really, looking to for more people to fish cause my other buddies all work every weekday and most of my weekends are spent playing softball. you have weekdays available?

sommysom
Petty Officer

Post by sommysom » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:38 am

I just went out yesterday with my float tube and wish somebody was there to enjoy my 5lb LM I caught on my last cast dead sticking a 5" senko.
It's a rush catching a hog in a float tube!!

Brian M or Volk email me anytime and well see if we can get together to go out sometime. I usually go out on a thursday or friday since I have it off. There are a couple of lakes by my house (Desire, shadow, shady, spring )

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:13 pm

i also have a float tube actually i have 2 so i could let somebody use one if you want to go out. im 24 also not cocky. i have about 13 years bass fishing under my belt, can find a pattern within a hour of fishing and have filled many livewells :) pms or emails are welcome.

i saw that report sommysom. nice job man!
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

BrianM
Petty Officer

Post by BrianM » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:35 pm

Sommyson: did you see that post like 2 posts below your post on lake desire. The guy was talking about how he doesn't want to hear about the 5lb bass that broke some kids pole under the dock. I thought that was hilarious because now there is a little picture teaser for him too!

BrianM
Petty Officer

Post by BrianM » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:01 pm

Dilbert: Have you ever fished lake Jane? There are a ton of bass in there. Unfortunately there is an overabundance of small largies so it stunts the overall growth a bit, but here is a pic from last summer when I fished it. This bass was only 19", but it weighed a tad over 6 lbs on a digital scale.

This is just a random picture of the pond we had on campus in Missouri. That is the only thing I miss about Missouri!

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:58 pm

That's a stubby pig!:pig:

I've never fished Lake Jane, does it have a boat launch? How does it compare in surface area to Bonney?

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:35 am

now thats a football!
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:58 am

if we all meet up, i could really use that float tube TNJ. ive never used one, do you use some type of waders and fins with it? or just slap on some swim trunks and go? hows everyone's schedule for next week. brian and i MIGHT go out early like mon/tues, but maybe sommy and tnj can meet up too on thur/fri.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:29 pm

Are you sure that thing isn't a triploid... or a neanderbass?? They were supposed to be real squatty.

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:53 pm

Hmmmm..... Blinky?
Too bad we can't see the top of that bass.
Attachments
blinkyhuge.gif
blinkyhuge.gif (9.93 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenster
Lieutenant

Post by Kenster » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:49 pm

dang that's a stubby 6lb. pig!! did you catch that at night? where's the background? photoshop?:^o

joking

nice fish!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:36 pm

Could it be the fabled basszilla?

BrianM
Petty Officer

Post by BrianM » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:20 pm

The background was really blurry and I was trying to use it as a desktop. The picture was taken by my grandpa and I had to scan it into my computer so the quality was bad. I caught it around 5:00 pm with a senko. That was a good day because 15 minutes before that I had caught one that was only a tad smaller than that. My dad showed up to see how I was doing and I had the fish on right next to the park. He got to see it and take pictures, but he is somewhat technologically challenged and deleted the pictures.

Yes, there is a boat launch, but it is kind of difficult to see if you don't know the area. Unfortunately, it is a private lake so you have to be accompanied by someone who belongs to the lake. My grandma has a house she rents out to my cousin that she pays the fees for so I just would say I live there. I have never seen anyone out there to check though.

BrianM
Petty Officer

Post by BrianM » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:38 pm

One thing that was weird about the fish was that it had a ring on the side of its face that looked like it had been cut in a circle. You could see flesh on the outside fo the circle. The 20 incher I caught at Lake Bonney a month ago had the same thing. Anyone know what that is? Is it a virus or disease?

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:02 am

I drove by the lake today and saw that the park was members only and another sign that said only members could fish in the lake. Oh well, I guess I'll have to find someone who lives there so I can give it a shot. It's a strange looking lake.

CraigVM62
Petty Officer

Post by CraigVM62 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:37 am

You can add me to your list of "Tubers" in the area. I have been kicking around Tapps lately in my pontoon boat and have thought of hitting some other lakes. I do have near zero experience fishing for Bass, so always looking for suggestions. I also have access to a couple of small private lakes that the lakeside homeowners normally only have access to.

I am an older fart so have gone complete full cycle and am now cocky and obnoxious again :cheers:

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:47 am

so does anyone want to go out monday or tuesday? where and what time? i told my friend (who has pretty much no exp. with fishing but i convinced him to buy a license) that him and I were headed to a lake to fish. i can either go with just you guys on MON or all go out on TUES.