Time to Get Crankin’ – Making them, that is.

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Well, I got inspired by a someone to give crankbait making a shot. I have seen some tutorials in the past, but that was quite a while back. I had some scrap balsa around and decided to use it. I figured if balsa good enough for Rapala, it ought to be for me.

This was the starting block, which I cut in half length-wise.

I cut it in half like below and soon learned that I could probably get two cranks from that one half. I also traced a basic shape.

Next, I cut out the shapes and then carved out the shapes by eyeballing.

The first one I did with mostly sandpaper which seemed really slow and not very precise. Some thought on approaching the second one led me to try carving the basic shape with a hobby knife. The latter was definitely faster, but more care was needed to not shave off too much at one time.

In the photo above, the one on the right is the first one that was carved.

So far, so good. I need to figure out how much weight is needed, which I have no clue.

-ib

TravisRush
Commander

Post by TravisRush » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:57 pm

Those look sweet! Great job!

Definitely needs a bluegill pattern...

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:59 pm

Looking very good ... am looking forward in seeing the progress ... keep it up!
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:29 pm

Yes, very nice. Looking forward to more pics and the end result. I've seen your spinners so this will no doubt be just as nice
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:37 am

Keep in mind that Balsa baits from Rapala and others have a wire frame in them to keep the hooks from pulling out.

You lures look great, and I think that they have great potential, but don't forget the hook issue.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:17 am

Finally got the crankbait to balance with a piece of ¼” pencil lead. The bait seems to balance well in the water.

I drilled a hole through the pencil lead for the wire for this crankbait. I will try though-wire construction for the next one. I will look into other materials for the lip and body too.

Next step, I am going to epoxy the pieces into the bait, prime it with white and try to figure out how to paint this.

It has been a challenge but rewarding at the same time.

BassFanatic
Commander

Post by BassFanatic » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Right on Islandbass It's sarting to look good, Keep it coming I want to see the finished product.
CPR-BOYZ
CHECK US OUT ON YOUTUBE!!!

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks, Bassfanatic.

Update 06-17-09

It works! I stopped by my home lake yesterday to see if the crankbait would work. I wasn’t sure if it would work correctly and the creeping thought that it might not work was something I couldn’t remove from my mind.

With eager anticipation, I tied the Rapala knot for their cranks without a split ring and pitched out the lure. It made the typical plop, splash, dip and rise back to the surface that a crankbait does. Yes!

Next, I walked along the dock and figuratively I was biting my nails as I watched the line in front of the bait become taut. The lure started wiggling back and forth. Yeeeeee Haaaahhhh!!!!!! That's exactly what I was saying along with a few fist pumps and Sho Ryu Kens.

It was working, and working very nicely. It has nice and loose wiggle, reminiscent of a swim bait. It dove down deeper than I thought it would, probably somewhere in the 4-6’ range. Other folks on the dock thought it was pretty cool too. Alright!

I tried a few “real” casts and it casts as well as a Rapala DT6. Ahh yeah!

I am very stoked about the how far I’ve gotten. I primed it with white paint this morning and have to come up with a simple color scheme. I’ll be facing my biggest challenge and weakness… Painting.

-ib

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:32 am

islandbass wrote:Thanks, Bassfanatic.

Update 06-17-09

It works! I stopped by my home lake yesterday to see if the crankbait would work. I wasn’t sure if it would work correctly and the creeping thought that it might not work was something I couldn’t remove from my mind.

With eager anticipation, I tied the Rapala knot for their cranks without a split ring and pitched out the lure. It made the typical plop, splash, dip and rise back to the surface that a crankbait does. Yes!

Next, I walked along the dock and figuratively I was biting my nails as I watched the line in front of the bait become taut. The lure started wiggling back and forth. Yeeeeee Haaaahhhh!!!!!! That's exactly what I was saying along with a few fist pumps and Sho Ryu Kens.

It was working, and working very nicely. It has nice and loose wiggle, reminiscent of a swim bait. It dove down deeper than I thought it would, probably somewhere in the 4-6’ range. Other folks on the dock thought it was pretty cool too. Alright!

I tried a few “real” casts and it casts as well as a Rapala DT6. Ahh yeah!

I am very stoked about the how far I’ve gotten. I primed it with white paint this morning and have to come up with a simple color scheme. I’ll be facing my biggest challenge and weakness… Painting.

-ib

Stay commited Island , because once you get dailed in on building these puppies you and i will do alot of business !! cranks are my signature baits and one of my biggest problems is find the one that no one else has .. Yep i can hear it now , Hey island make me 10 deep cranks in my personal color for my upcoming tourney .... awwww WL.COM Fam is getting stronger by the year !!! :-({|=

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:15 am

Thanks, BBD!

Here is a mini update:

The crankbait has now been primed in white as shown. Sorry that the pic isn’t too clear.

Still undecided on the color scheme!

noxcape
Petty Officer

Post by noxcape » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:53 am

fire tiger lol looks awesome man

Teal101
Warrant Officer

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:11 pm

Very awesome looking!

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:27 pm

Update 06-25-09

I have really got to work on my painting skills, maybe even take a class. I am not proud of the paint job, but I am proud that I saw it through. It is just odd that I can shape and carve the wood with ease but I can’t paint worth beans. Here are some images of the finished lure.

As for the shark teeth, it is my signature trademark on my poppers and prop baits. I thought it would be interesting to see on a crankbait. Painting was done with regular hand brushes and acrylic points.

Oh well. I plan to make more when I have more time. I plan to paint rainbow trout, perch, and bass color schemes on future crankbaits.

Anyway, thank you for tagging along on my journey. I hope it wasn’t too boring of a ride.

-ib

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:29 pm

Not bad at all Pinoy,..during the Winter months I'll be playing around with some Airbrushing on some Hard-Plastic Swimbaits 2 match any forage that an individual desires and selling them on my Website,..I think you had a great Trial -Run Alex,..keep it up and if you want maybe I can paint them for you once my skills get better,..LMK!

TGL-BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:58 pm

Awesome big daddy. Keep on keepn on. That looks great. You're ingenious.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:39 am

UPDATE: 06-26-09

Simply Unbelievable! Praise the Lord!

3:00 PM

I got to my “home” lake (Steel Lake) to give my crankbait its maiden trial and to get its action on video for the archives. Although it was a bit of a challenge to troll the crank and film at the same time with my limited capability digital camera I managed to capture what I needed.

Next, I tried to film a cast but wasn’t too successful. I reeled the crankbait to about 10 feet from the dock and stopped to put away the camera when all of a sudden, an 18” bass comes out of nowhere and zips right up to my floating bait to within kissing distance. It stops, circles it like a shark and swims away.

My excitement level shot up a bit. Next cast, nothing. After a few more casts, a school or about 10-12 baby bass come out to inspect it and turn away.

The positive thing is that it has gotten the bass’ attention but something was missing from the equation that prevented them from committing to strike. I rubbed some Megastrike on it, casted it out, and got a hit! Unfortunately, I acted like a dear in the headlights and the command from my brain to my hand to start reeling was left in the queue and not getting through. Bottom line was I lost this one. I had to pick up my son from school so this session was over.

8:00 PM

Enter lake number two, Bradley Lake. I make it to the floating dock that was already occupied by a few people. I made a cast right next to some submerged grass and my son tried his hand at reeling one cast in. A few more casts (all of these cast in only about five minutes), SMASH!!!!! My rod slammed down hard and the two guys next to me immediately took notice.

This time, instinct took over and not the deer in the headlights action that happened earlier. I don’t know what is wrong with me, but I have been “Iaconelli’ing” it lately when I have hooked into decent-sized fish. I was shouting out things like, “Yeah!! That’s right!! Yeahhh (mental fist pump)!! My first fish on a homemade lure!! Yeahhh (mental double fist pump)!! Yeah (mental high five)!! That’s right, baby!!! Yeahhh!!! I embarrassingly concede that everyone within a 150’ radius heard me because a group of people suddenly appeared along the bank on both sides of the dock.

I knew I had a good-sized fish on but something was telling me it was probably not a largemouth bass. A large, silvery-pale torpedo shaped body nearing the water’s surface confirmed it. It was a trout. A big trout! I was not targeting, but I will take it.

I observed that the trout hammered the belly treble quite aggressively, such that it wasn’t going to come off. My Shimano Curado 101D and Clarus trunk rod made short work of this most excellent battle. The gentleman next to me was kind enough to offer his net and assistance. I carefully guided the trout into the net.

I removed the treble, took two photos, measured her, revived, and released this beauty as soon as I could. She swam away just fine.

She measured 20” and I give a best guess estimate weight of maybe 3 lbs.

My heart was still pounding and my hands were still shaking ten minutes after this blessed experience as a million thoughts coursed through my mind:

1. The first fish off of my first homemade crankbait.
2. The first fish I ever caught out of Bradley Lake after numerous attempts through two seasons.
3. The biggest trout I ever caught in my life.
4. Holy Smokes! The trout bit all the way through to the balsa!

This lure making journey has really come full circle, from inspiration to conception, from to construction and examination and culminating into a hooked and landed fish.

My son reminded me that I promised to take him to Krispy Kreme for a treat, and who would I be to disagree? After all, this was definitely an occasion to celebrate.

A photo of the lake; You can see the dock in the background.

Lastly, I would like to say it was a pleasure to meet Tom and Chris who were also fishing on the dock. Thanks for bearing with a long-winded story, but I am unable to keep it contained.

-ib

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:19 am

Congrats on your catch, Islandbass. I really like your crankbait. He looks mean!!!!!!!!!!! The color name that pops in my head is "Citrus Piranha".

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:52 am

Awesome Alex,..we need 2 talk! Call me,..HaHa!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Bassmaster3000
Petty Officer

Post by Bassmaster3000 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:49 pm

Dude... NICE!!!

Just on catching the big trout. the homemade lure was just a bonus. Man. Now I want to make a lure!!!

:brilsmurf :brilsmurf :brilsmurf
AKA: J-Dawg

Who need's goldbacks or silverbacks? I'll take BRONZEBACKS!!!
BASSMASTER YOUTH MEMBER
REMEMBER TO CATCH AND REALEASE!!!!!!!