In the weeds, or the edge of the weeds?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dustin07
Commodore

In the weeds, or the edge of the weeds?

Post by Dustin07 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:57 am

Bass lake and Twelve in King County are horrible for mill foil right now. Its very difficult to cast a sinking lure that will actually sink. I've picked up some 7" lizzards I want to try tonight though.

Also, I don't want to cast a $10 or $20 lure into a mess where I would likely lose it... (maybe that's just me). but maybe I'm over thinking this. The weeds are in 3-5' of water. Is that too shallow? I'm not seeing the fish, just guessing still. Should I get further out and work the edges instead of deep weeds on these little lakes?

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

RE:In the weeds, or the edge of the weeds?

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri May 29, 2009 11:20 am

you got two choices. 1) get a heavy weedless jig and drop straight down in the openings in the milfoil. 2) get a buzzbait or other weedless lure that runs across the top of the weeds. One goes down to where the bass are, the other gets them to come up.

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Fri May 29, 2009 12:10 pm

try a popper, topwater lure, or a weedless mouse- frog lure!
Largemouth:

PB: 6 pounds

2011: 6 Pounds

Smallmouth:

PB: 5 pounds

2011: 4 lbs

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Fri May 29, 2009 12:33 pm

I would start out with a spinner bait (willow blades)and burn it just under the surface to creat a wake .. this can trigger some bigger bites for ya ! :batman:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 29, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:39 pm

Spinner bait on braided line would be my first choice. It is amazing how well they work in weeds and are often overlooked. I pulled two nice sized bass out of a mess of milfoil and pads in about 30 minutes using a 5/8 oz chartreuse spinner with one colorado and one willow blade

Lizzards have too many appendages that can get caught on weeds. Get some 10" ribbon tail worms with a chartreuse tail and some 3/4-1oz weights. Lube up your bait and line with an oil based attractant.

I'd get a swim/grass jig. It has a pointed head that will come through the weeds better.

A floating frog with a slow steady retrieve is a good bet on one rod with a T-rigged worm and a pegged sinker as a follow up. My local lake is always choked with weeds so I feel your pain. I know these methods to work, for me anyway.

I haven't tested this one but I have read good things about beaver baits. Their compact shape helps them sail through the weeds.
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

Cman2007
Warrant Officer

Post by Cman2007 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:33 pm

burn a spinner bait like dez said or a buzz bait.......frog would work also ....lipless crankbait and rip it out of the grass to get that reaction bite :-"
Clark Korper 16 yrs old
Auburn Sports & Marine
G.Loomis/Shimano

Bass Member
FLW Member
TBF Member

EAT.SLEEP.FISH

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:36 pm

awesome thanks guys. I went back out today but before I read this post. I played with the lizzard more and got the little ones to strike it, nothing big enough to take it. I'll try these other lures and see what happens! the pads and mifoil is soooo bad on Lake Twelve....

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Fri May 29, 2009 10:45 pm

As Nocloths1 said to use braid or at least 20#Floracarbon and then you can use any lure you want!
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

BOLDbomber
Petty Officer

Post by BOLDbomber » Sat May 30, 2009 1:50 am

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 30, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nice job on your catch, but let there be no doubt,..
Bed fish are easier than hatchery trout,..

~"Summa dem try to rhyme,.. but they cant rhyme like this ~ GO! GO!"~

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sat May 30, 2009 4:42 am

Bold Bomber is causing alot of people to leave this site. i dont know how much troll i can take.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sat May 30, 2009 7:53 am

Bolder NUTS/

Go to church pray hard not for the world
Pray for your soul I am LEAVE!
Guys when your pressing structures, logs, weeds, rocks and other natures structures power pro is a strong choice :-$ due to the elements and the ability to also get your gear back in some of these areas where the biggest stay and play due to protection a over sized weedwacker:-& might be as sweet as power pro! :cheers: :chef:

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:19 am

swedefish4life1 wrote:Bolder NUTS/

Go to church pray hard not for the world
Pray for your soul I am LEAVE!
Guys when your pressing structures, logs, weeds, rocks and other natures structures power pro is a strong choice :-$ due to the elements and the ability to also get your gear back in some of these areas where the biggest stay and play due to protection a over sized weedwacker:-& might be as sweet as power pro! :cheers: :chef:
power pro 20lb? I'm due for a respoool anyways, may as well!

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Sat May 30, 2009 6:51 pm

I use both Power Pro 20# and 50#. P-Line CX is also a strong choice.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

WCCT
Lieutenant

Post by WCCT » Sat May 30, 2009 7:06 pm

I would use the following: texas rigged creature bait with the weight pegged, spinnerbait, buzzbait, jig, and a Western Stik/Senko along the weedlines and in weed pockets.
PowerTeam Lures Pro Staff
[http://www.powerteamlures.com/?Click=2818]

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:38 pm

Dustin Bass Lake is setup perfectly for frog fishin! It's got the right type of cover, and the right type of pads to really work it nice and slow over them. the last time I fished that lake was about 5 years ago, but we'd throw a frog up into the shallow pads, and see consecutive blowups around it after it hit the water. If you've never experienced frog fishing, you gotta tie one on and have some faith, those largies will absolutely hammer it! Our best areas were directly across from where you launch your boat, and then the shoreline to your left (enumclaw side of the lake). For reference though I use a 7'6" Fenwick Elite Tech Froggin Stik with 65# powerpro braid. Might be overkill but I learned a tough lesson in the NWBass tourney on banks lake when I lost 3 consecutive frog fish because I couldn't pull them out of the slop! happy to say I haven't lost one since! :)
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:39 am

davidwat1 wrote:Dustin Bass Lake is setup perfectly for frog fishin! It's got the right type of cover, and the right type of pads to really work it nice and slow over them. the last time I fished that lake was about 5 years ago, but we'd throw a frog up into the shallow pads, and see consecutive blowups around it after it hit the water. If you've never experienced frog fishing, you gotta tie one on and have some faith, those largies will absolutely hammer it! Our best areas were directly across from where you launch your boat, and then the shoreline to your left (enumclaw side of the lake). For reference though I use a 7'6" Fenwick Elite Tech Froggin Stik with 65# powerpro braid. Might be overkill but I learned a tough lesson in the NWBass tourney on banks lake when I lost 3 consecutive frog fish because I couldn't pull them out of the slop! happy to say I haven't lost one since! :)
what kind of scent do you use Dave?

I have had the most action when I coat my lures in the crawfish salt (smelly jelly). it seems to stick to the lure the best, and the smell/flavor gets the most nibbles. everything else I try seems to repel more than attract.

I hit bass lake again this week with no luck in the float tube, but the point of view sucks from a tube so i'm going to try taking the boat out and motoring over to the other side again.

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:41 am

I don't put scent on frogs, but I use it mostly when I'm fishing football head jigs with spider grubs or when I'm fishing a lizard on a carolina rig or splitshot rig. I like basswax in garlic or crawdad, but I've used smelly jelly plenty of times over the year, in the Crawfish/Anise combination. I rely on scent alot more in the early spring and late fall/winter than during the other times of year, but that's just me, I'm sure others have great success using it year around. Bottom line....If it gives you more confidence, then glob it on there!!!
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com