Piers

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DoubleG
Petty Officer

Piers

Post by DoubleG » Wed May 27, 2009 10:56 am

Hey all. So, I just got into saltwater fishing, and I have been fishing at the Edmonds Pier lately. The only thing worthwhile I have caught so far is a 20'' ratfish #-o. A couple days ago, I heard about the Shilshole Pier. So, I was wondering which is a better pier to fish at? Should I stick with Edmonds? Or should I try Shilshole?

Thanks! :cheers:

fishingboy
Commander

RE:Piers

Post by fishingboy » Wed May 27, 2009 12:03 pm

depending where you live though! i live in shoreline so i fish at both piers, so I personally say fish both!!! I fish Edmonds alot ... so u might see me at one of those piers!

!!~TIGHT-LINES~!!
Largemouth:

PB: 6 pounds

2011: 6 Pounds

Smallmouth:

PB: 5 pounds

2011: 4 lbs

DoubleG
Petty Officer

Post by DoubleG » Wed May 27, 2009 2:04 pm

Yeah, distance isn't too big of an issue for me, I just am curious which of the two piers would yield better fish...:bounce:

Thanks!

DoubleG
Petty Officer

Post by DoubleG » Wed May 27, 2009 3:22 pm

I'm hoping that Swede might chime in and toss out his advice 8-[

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed May 27, 2009 4:42 pm

Zero :-$ :-#
!!!Drive any rig all over Whidbey Island watch the tides and flows , look for natural drops and structures and work at finding something worth searching for on a natural point or jetty .

When the migrating fish show pitch them the fresh herring:-$ into the flows that swing across the points you press 36 to 42 inches will do behind the proper float and hang on and do it light nothing over 15-20 lb test:-$ .

Same with smaller coffee can:-# oil can jigs :-# tipped with Octy combo plates:-# pitch them off 40-60 feet deep drops with a incoming tide you will find a rocker, ling and then you can pass the beer bottles and garbage:colors: :clown: :cyclopsan the other man made goof spots :clown: many on here want to press and talk from!:clown:

The ratio to angler and catch on either is a joke on you for you buy 22 lotto tickets and pray!!! :bom: :cheers: :chef:
Attachments
wdcbn.jpg
wdcbn.jpg (105.6 KiB) Viewed 3121 times

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:17 pm

hey swede, sorry to pry on your secret spots but I've never been out to Whidbey Island and am curious as to which spots should i check out? I'm trying to spot some jettys via google map but i cant really tell whats what.

again, thanks so much for the tips!

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:22 pm

I am not being a D Head be like me 50 years of searching and earning it:-# :-$ take your wife kids , dogs make a day of it bring a book log all and then come back and play/FISH ON! and just a pointer take a stick near these points throw it in the waters you search and watch it tide in and out and running!:-# :cheers: !!!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 27, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 am

i say fish Edmonds pier... you can catch

Lingcod
Copper rockfish
Black rockfish
pink salmon
herring
shrimp
crab
king/ blackmouth salmon
coho salmon
ratfish
dogfish
cabezon
sculpins
Pile perch
eels flounders & dabs
striped perch
shiner perch

and the diffrence to Shilshole pier is...

pile perch
striped perch
eels
herring
chinook salmon
shiner perch
lingcod
copper rockfish
cabezon
sculpins
crab
occaisonal lingcod
Largemouth:

Smallmouth:

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu May 28, 2009 7:42 am

JOKE!!!!! POST THEM UP WITH YOU IN THE PICTURE NOW!!!! FORGET THIS PC BAITER POST YOU WITH THESE FISH!!!!:-$ :cheers:

Fact that area is one of the least productive areas per angler an hours of fishing

Fact!:chef:

RIGHT HERE ON A INCOMING TIDE YOU HAVE A FISHING CHANCE!:-$ :-# :chef:
Attachments
2_guns_and_a_pair_of_scotties_-046.jpg
2_guns_and_a_pair_of_scotties_-046.jpg (147.9 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 28, 2009 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleG
Petty Officer

Post by DoubleG » Thu May 28, 2009 10:08 am

Well, you say that there's tons of different fish at Edmonds, but the only things I have ever caught are bull kelp, seaweed, the very small, occasional rockfish, and a couple ratfish. #-o
What am I doing wrong? Is there certain rigs/baits/techniques that might help me catch something?:-k

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Thu May 28, 2009 10:30 am

kinda doing wrong! what baits r u using? im heading down there this weekend! if you want to show up! im only 15 so i pretty know alot of fishing rigs to fish there!
Largemouth:

Smallmouth:

DoubleG
Petty Officer

Post by DoubleG » Thu May 28, 2009 10:36 am

I've been using 3/0,4/0 mooching rigs with frozen herring and meat department shrimp.

Don't worry about the age thing. I'm 15 as well, I just use my dad's account since he pays for it...

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Thu May 28, 2009 10:39 am

hey DoubleG here my number 206-434-6185 where do u live? in sno county im hittin ballinger after school today! :):cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Largemouth:

Smallmouth:

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Thu May 28, 2009 11:42 am

fishingboy is the resident expert for Edmonds pier. You came to the right place!

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Thu May 28, 2009 11:45 am

lol jake have we meet there before?:-&
Largemouth:

Smallmouth:

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:45 pm

I want to add to this piers thread if y'all don't mind. How is fishing salt piers different than fresh docks? (other than different bait and target fish). How do you rig your lines? I had some luck today with a dropshot in area 13 today and now i'm hooked. I want to play in the salt more and chase stuff other than Salmon. Dont get me wrong, I love the salmon... but I I want to boost my opportunities!

littlefishingbuddy
Petty Officer

Post by littlefishingbuddy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:19 pm

About 20 years ago at 12 midnight I caught a HUGE Octy off that dock The head was about the size of a 5 gal bucket. Maybe 15'-18 feet across. I ended up having a guy run for a floating net and the gent with me hooked it on the other side and after many tries we got it in the net and pulled it up, Then I look around and there are about 20 Asians looking at me. I played with it for a few and then they tore into it and it was gone. They were fighting over it. To be honest my buddy and i were drunk and I thought the whole thing was funny!

Littlefishingbuddy

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:50 pm

swedefish4life1 wrote: Fact that area is one of the least productive areas per angler an hours of fishing

Fact!:chef:

RIGHT HERE ON A INCOMING TIDE YOU HAVE A FISHING CHANCE!:-$ :-# :chef:

I have to add my 2 cents in on the pier fishing. It is unfortunate if someone is too young to drive, or just getting around is a problem. But seriously... if the majority of people without boats fish from the piers.... and when you spend the day there you will see a large number of people with line in the water, and very little fish to show for their time fishing. I have gone to those same piers since about 1976, even before the current Edmonds pier was there. Think about a large concentration of people for YEARS fishing in the same spot. Loosing lots of line, and gear on the bottom.

The thing to really consider is like was said above.... walk the public beaches, Picnic Point, Meadowdale BEach, Richmond beach, Carkeek Park. South Sound Beaches, Point no Point beach. etc. Walk the beach at low tide and look for structure or drop offs, places where the land becomes a point. Make notes of that... then go back another time and fish those areas from the beach. You will know already where you are casting from your notes. There will be you out on that beach, and maybe couple of the fly guys, because they know the deal:-" and that's it. Everybody else will be back at the pier holding their lotto fish ticket.

The beaches are a great way to fish, and SO under fished. And just such a more beautiful experience.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:18 pm

The Quadfather is correct. Why limit yourself to target the same structure under a pier that everyone else fishes.

There are plenty of beaches in the Puget Sound that have passing salmon, steelhead and cutthroat that can be fished for much more successfully if you know what your doing. Get out, explore a little, do some research and you will be rewarded more often than if you fish the same piers everyone else does.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:23 pm

I think we covered that many threads ago#-o :-" in great effort and details and why???:-# :cheers:

PRESS TO BE THE BEST :-$ IF ITS EASY :bball: IT WAS NOT THE GAME YOU NEEDED:bounce: