Any Firefighters??

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
R0cky23
Warrant Officer

Any Firefighters??

Post by R0cky23 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:49 pm

I have started to plan out my career to being a firefighter. I will be taking a class at my school next year (Firefighting 1), and also starting a program at South Pierce Fire and Rescue (Cadet Program) in September to help me physically and educationally be prepared to become a firefighter. I have also been looking at the firefighter program at Bates Technical College for after I finish school. But I was wondering if any of you guys were firefighter or have been and have some advice or some good resources (books, websites, ect). for me to help study to become a firefighter. All you advise or pointers will be greatly appreciated. :cheers:
Yo Adrian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
-Rocky Balboa

"Age ain't nothin"
-Rocky Balboa

"My momma said that life was like a box of chocolates, ya never know what ya gonna get".
-Forrest Gump

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Any Firefighters??

Post by A9 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:47 pm

I think we have a few firefighters here. I'm certain Kevinb is one of em, Gisteppo might be another.

Anyways, it's a cool profession indeed. I have a few buddies taking EMT cert. classes to get started going down the firefighting profession path. A few of em did some ride alongs with local stations/engines and got to see some real interesting stuff, got em hooked, all they wanna do now is be a firefighter.

Best of luck!
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed May 13, 2009 5:31 am

I think Kevinb is an EMT that works directly for a fire department.

Captain Bye, would be his name :cheers:

Not me, Ive had bad experiences with fire and I would get to claustrophobic running around with all that gear on, sweating my :-# off, fire licking at me from all sides. NOPE, not for me. Gotta have alot of respect for someone like that.

EMTs also do a hell of a job that I would rather not do. I couldnt roll up on a nasty accident and see some of the things I heard talked about.

=d> Here's to ya guys :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

stevoblue
Petty Officer

Post by stevoblue » Wed May 13, 2009 6:45 pm

South Pierce is a good department to learn and work at. Tell Boo Boo hi for me. I have a laundry list for you. Even as a cadet, your reputation will follow you for a long time. It’s best to start good habits early. Keep your eyes open and mouth shut, volunteer for everything, clean, clean, clean, work hard, never stand around and watch others work, know where everything is at on the apparatus, don’t get caught up in gossip (although it is everywhere in Fire Departments), find the people who others seem to respect most and emulate them. If you are asked if you would like something, especially food, take a plate. If you are told to sit down and relax, do it. Finally, never call Boo Boo by his nickname unless he tells you to. Oh yeah. Buy the Paramedics doughnuts every time you work. They need them to survive.

As for Bates, I never went through there program but I know several people who have. They make no promises on getting you a job. Many program graduates have not landed Professional Firefighter positions long after their graduation if at all. The school will give you an edge in the oral boards. They also do a real good job with teaching the art of firefightership. (Firemanship).

Good Luck.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon May 18, 2009 10:56 am

Im actually on shift as we speak, and the Fat Kid just called chow. Ill get you an answer in a minute... Lo and behold, we gotta call...

E

R0cky23
Warrant Officer

Post by R0cky23 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:02 pm

I have been looking at both at Bates Tech and Clover Park Tech. I hearing good things about both schools firefighter courses, but I would like some opinions. Thanks :cheers:
-Rocky Balboa

"Age ain't nothin"
-Rocky Balboa

"My momma said that life was like a box of chocolates, ya never know what ya gonna get".
-Forrest Gump

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon May 18, 2009 9:13 pm

I personally went to Chemeketa down in Salem because they have a concurrent 3 year program that has you double-degreed at the end with your Fire Sci and Paramedic degrees in hand and tested by the time you are done. Believe me, adding the medic makes a world of difference in the job availability, especially on the west side of Wa and all over Oregon.

Next, take EVERY TEST you can. Who cares where it is or what it looks like, experience is the best way to prepare for tests. Get access to sites like www.firecareers.com where the majority of fire test openings are listed, and take everything you can drive to. Some guys get hired at their first test, some guys are hired after years of working their butt off testing all over the place.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Though Kevin is gold badge material, and Im just a lowly tailgunner on an engine...

E

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon May 18, 2009 10:01 pm

haha...gold badge,I just passed the coloring book test,on my 3rd try.

I'll try my best to provide some good info in a bit,just to tired at the moment and will sound
more like a babbling drunk. South Pierce is an excellent department and has teamed up
with PCFD 17(Roy) The future looks bright for these departments,jump on any oppurtinity's
they give you such as EMT,Incident Safety Officer....anything. I'll give you
some more info shortly

R0cky23
Warrant Officer

Post by R0cky23 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:23 pm

Ok thanks guys for your help I really appreciate it!:cheers: :colors: :compress:
-Rocky Balboa

"Age ain't nothin"
-Rocky Balboa

-Forrest Gump

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed May 20, 2009 10:51 pm

Hey Rocky,half asleep again. The Bates Program is good but I have to agree with Steve...tons
of folks have gone through the class,worked hard but most do not find jobs right away,if at all.
It looks good on a resume but almost all departments will make you go through their academy(9 weeks)
typically up in North Bend....tough work but a lot of fun as well. In the very near future I'm hoping to
fish with your dad...I'd be more than happy to chat with you more on this but your dad might get bored
and chuck a swimbait at my head.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Thu May 21, 2009 7:38 am

Ahhh Cars on a Curb.... Fond memories of a very snowy North Bend.

E

R0cky23
Warrant Officer

Post by R0cky23 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:37 pm

kevinb wrote:Hey Rocky,half asleep again. The Bates Program is good but I have to agree with Steve...tons
of folks have gone through the class,worked hard but most do not find jobs right away,if at all.
It looks good on a resume but almost all departments will make you go through their academy(9 weeks)
typically up in North Bend....tough work but a lot of fun as well. In the very near future I'm hoping to
fish with your dad...I'd be more than happy to chat with you more on this but your dad might get bored
and chuck a swimbait at my head.
LOL very funny. I would really appreciate you talking to me more about this in the future and also fishing with you in the future.:cheers:
-Rocky Balboa

"Age ain't nothin"
-Rocky Balboa

-Forrest Gump

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Fri May 22, 2009 6:58 pm

Stuck working at sta 11 (Isle of Misfit Firemen) today because they are short a medic. Woulda been a good day to talk fire stuff, stupid slow stations....

E

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri May 22, 2009 7:40 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Stuck working at sta 11 (Isle of Misfit Firemen) today because they are short a medic. Woulda been a good day to talk fire stuff, stupid slow stations....

E
haha,..I'm sorry,I really shouldn't be laughing but I got to ask,Is station 11 a retirement station? You know,
all senior crew where they all get to yack about previous hunting trips and then complain if they run more then
2 calls and claim its been a busy day.:clown: One day,many years from now...that will be us:rambo:

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Fri May 22, 2009 7:49 pm

Actually its a captain nobody likes (whom I am replacing today), a quiet fellow thats nice but not a great fit anywhere else, a driver that is disgruntled to say the least and basically got ousted from his last station, and an absolute abortion of a new medic that should have been fired on probation, should never have been allowed to be in the medic class, and who never should have received the blessing to be a medic.

Any guesses who's lost a few lbs on their posterior today because of poor pt care?

I believe they average around 4-5 runs a day, we are at 3 now.

HAH, retirement? One of my Lt's at 3's (busiest rig in the city) came on in 1965! 44 YEARS AGO!!! Still goes on an average of 10.3 calls per day (often over 20 runs a shift in the summer) and is still as tough as the day he came on.

Thats my role model....

E

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri May 22, 2009 7:59 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Actually its a captain nobody likes (whom I am replacing today), a quiet fellow thats nice but not a great fit anywhere else, a driver that is disgruntled to say the least and basically got ousted from his last station, and an absolute abortion of a new medic that should have been fired on probation, should never have been allowed to be in the medic class, and who never should have received the blessing to be a medic.

Any guesses who's lost a few lbs on their posterior today because of poor pt care?

I believe they average around 4-5 runs a day, we are at 3 now.

HAH, retirement? One of my Lt's at 3's (busiest rig in the city) came on in 1965! 44 YEARS AGO!!! Still goes on an average of 10.3 calls per day (often over 20 runs a shift in the summer) and is still as tough as the day he came on.

Thats my role model....

E

chuckle chuckle..... I like that insight into your world.:bounce:
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg