Bow and Arrow Common Carp Fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
swedefish4life1
Admiral

RE:Bow and Arrow Common Carp Fishing

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:38 am

Long Rubber Gloves Hazmat safety:cheers: working these Carp!:chef: lol

90lb pull as well

Anakpinoy4 thats a sweet beach picture Nshore??? Islands???

Good to see a youngman FIT AS WELL:-$ I could use a kid like you at times during civil duties!:chef:

Are you of Island blood lived the palms many years back in the day Maui, Nshore and more!

There are some Big Boys on those Islands :cheers:

I ran into 1 over 300lbs about 6ft 6 with a attitude as mine:colors:
We made a mess of things and shared some blood then enjoyed a beer counting are teeth

Have not touched the spirits since 1992 :shaking: :scratch: I hated the next day! :joker: LOL
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 14, 2009 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

anakpinoy4
Petty Officer

Post by anakpinoy4 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:57 am

The picture came just last month on a vacation to Islamorada, Florida on a half day charter. Mahi-Mahi went 55lbs on the scale. Caught quite a few ahi-tuna too, but nothing as big as in the pic. Pier fished for tarpon, snook, baracuda, and snapper. Never been to the Islands, but hope to do so some day. Sounds just like islanders to fight and make up. We don't like to hold grudges! Civil duties huh? What kinda work does that entail and where?

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:05 am

Global the Swede is on the Feed:-# Great fish:cheers: and love Cuda on light gear
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 14, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Thu May 14, 2009 7:11 pm

There should be bow and arrow fishing for Squawfish. Too bad there all too small for bows.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Fri May 15, 2009 9:25 am

I've bow fished carp at Banks Lake in Central, WA. Lots of fun!

There a way guy here on the forums a year or two ago that used to catch tons of them bow fishing at Sprauge Lake in Eastern, WA with pictures.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon May 18, 2009 10:53 am

We see HUGE numbers of carp archers at Lake Spokane once the temps rise. Have your gear ready by next weekend for the temp change.

E

Big D

Post by Big D » Mon May 18, 2009 11:39 am

I spent about six hours bow hunting carp in the mouth of the Okanogan River yesterday. The water was very dark and stained with only about 8" visibility. The carp were rolling and jumping all around us, just not close enough for a shot. I did however get a couple of good photos on the way to the river and one of a couple of turtles on the river. (Notice the water color.)
Attachments
05-17-09%20004%202.jpg
05-17-09%20004%202.jpg (93.44 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
05-17-09%20005.jpg
05-17-09%20005.jpg (60.32 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue May 19, 2009 1:01 pm

I met a guy this last Friday that claimed he ate the carp he shot. I have known a few that do it, and I suppose that if you skin them out, flesh off the red lateral line, and then deep fat fried them, they would be like eating a fast food fish sandwich. He claimed to smoke them, but I know a guy that claims you could smoke a duck turd and make it taste good, but would you still want to eat it????

I know that a lot of commercial fish products are carp, so the state regs reflect that. Also, down south, carp is often eaten. Additionally, the Asian and European market is big on carp. My youngest daughter came back from 18 months in Poland and Carp was their Christmas dinner every year. Trust me, my daughter claims our worst river was better then their cleanest river, so ..............

OK, having said that, I shoot them every so often, pop the air bladder, drop them in deep water for the crayfish. After all, if you look at the state regulations for crayfish, they MUST BE ENDANGERED, so giving them some extra food is a good idea, right?

Some parks do not permit bows, and this includes the park covered by Roosevelt Lake. I got a warning there a few years ago, and the next year the regulations indicated you could not bow hunt carp at Roosevelt.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:05 pm

The key to that buffer is down South#-o :colors: :clown: :cyclopsan :chef:

I also don't eat monkies:^o

PS GREAT PICS BIG D!:-$
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 19, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:22 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:I met a guy this last Friday that claimed he ate the carp he shot. I have known a few that do it, and I suppose that if you skin them out, flesh off the red lateral line, and then deep fat fried them, they would be like eating a fast food fish sandwich. He claimed to smoke them, but I know a guy that claims you could smoke a duck turd and make it taste good, but would you still want to eat it????
Hmmm, maybe a midwestern thing, but back in Ohio we would wade the creeks and spear suckers and carp at night. Then we'd smoke the carp and alot of people pickled the suckers, kinda like they do with herring I guess. Smoked carp has a pretty strong taste, which personally I don't like, but from what I recall, they smoked up real well, and it was really quite common to see people doing it. Didn't realize they didn't do the same thing out here as well.
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com

anakpinoy4
Petty Officer

Post by anakpinoy4 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:48 pm

If anyone is interested in getting started I saw an AMS Bowfishing Pro Combo Kit (http://www.amsbowfishing.com/product_in ... cts_id=265) at Joe's Sports. It retails for $146 on the website and was going for less than $60 Joe's. Only 1 left and I almost bought it for a trip to Banks in July. oh this is the Joe's at Northgate.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue May 19, 2009 2:52 pm

Regs say Common Carp are pretty much open but Grass Carp are completley closed. Whats the difference? Ive been looking at pictures and Im not sure how to tell the difference. Lake Tapps has a bunch of large carp in it, are they Grass or Common?

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Tue May 19, 2009 4:59 pm

Just an additional tidbit:
OK, having said that, I shoot them every so often, pop the air bladder, drop them in deep water for the crayfish. After all, if you look at the state regulations for crayfish, they MUST BE ENDANGERED, so giving them some extra food is a good idea, right?
Even with the air bladder popped, its not the bladder that causes them to float, its the decomposition of the abdominal cavity and organs (many small hollow organs in the cavity) that cause the nasty buggers to float.

PLEASE TAKE YOUR CATCH! If you don't have room, take the fish to DEEP water as stated above (DEEEEEP) and lay them apart with a knife, tearing the abdominal cavity apart with several strips of the knife.

I spent 3 weeks of saturdays driving around the lily pads picking up rotted floating carcasses with holes in the belly, putting them in a trash can, and slitting them correctly before moving to fertile crawdad spots. Take it from someone who deals with dead humans on occasion, THESE THINGS STINK WHEN THEY DIE!!!

E

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed May 20, 2009 3:18 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Just an additional tidbit:
Even with the air bladder popped, its not the bladder that causes them to float, its the decomposition of the abdominal cavity and organs (many small hollow organs in the cavity) that cause the nasty buggers to float.

PLEASE TAKE YOUR CATCH! If you don't have room, take the fish to DEEP water as stated above (DEEEEEP) and lay them apart with a knife, tearing the abdominal cavity apart with several strips of the knife.

I spent 3 weeks of saturdays driving around the lily pads picking up rotted floating carcasses with holes in the belly, putting them in a trash can, and slitting them correctly before moving to fertile crawdad spots. Take it from someone who deals with dead humans on occasion, THESE THINGS STINK WHEN THEY DIE!!!

E
Thanks for the clarification. Ya, I'd never leave a dead fish off of your beach, just toooo many houses. Now, at the Far East side by the dam, maybe.......:-"

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed May 20, 2009 3:19 pm

RaMcVey wrote:Regs say Common Carp are pretty much open but Grass Carp are completley closed. Whats the difference? Ive been looking at pictures and Im not sure how to tell the difference. Lake Tapps has a bunch of large carp in it, are they Grass or Common?
If the lake regs say it has Grass Carp, they are Grass Carp. If not, they are common carp, German mirror Carp, large Gold Fish, etc............:-#

anakpinoy4
Petty Officer

Post by anakpinoy4 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:25 pm

RaMcVey wrote:Regs say Common Carp are pretty much open but Grass Carp are completley closed. Whats the difference? Ive been looking at pictures and Im not sure how to tell the difference. Lake Tapps has a bunch of large carp in it, are they Grass or Common?
For me, the easiest way to tell the difference between common and grass carp is to look at the dorsal fin. Common carp, the dorsal fin runs almost all the way down the back. For grass carp, the dorsal fin is shorter (along the spine) primarily on the middle of the fish. Maybe someone might be able to clarify :scratch: , but that's how i do it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 20, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmiaCalva311
Angler

Post by AmiaCalva311 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:31 pm

anakpinoy4 wrote:Never been interested in them, but has anyone ever eaten them? :scratch: I saw in the 2009 WDFW Regulations book that they are listed as a food fish.
the signs around green lake say

"only eat 1 carp a month due to pollution
eat rainbow trout - there good"

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Fri May 22, 2009 8:36 pm

Make you know for certain if there are no grass carp in the lake. A lot of times the signs get torn down. The best and quickest way to tell the difference between the two is that a common carp has whiskers and a grass carp does not.

Do NOT get caught with grass carp it involves a serious fine.

Bow and arrow is popular in Vancouver Lake - although in all honesty I don't see how they can even see to get the right fish unless you are literally in the thick of them.

Again, no grass carp. These are seriously expensive fish that are there to do a job (vegetation control). The work they do makes fishing better for everyone.

stace
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue May 26, 2009 2:35 pm

Rock Lake in Whitmen County has carp spawing in the shallows near the outlet as of 5.23.09. Go get um.:bom:

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Wed May 27, 2009 11:13 am

Got back from a camping trip at bank lake. Had lots of fun bow fishing for carp! Wow there are lots of them there.