Personal opinion on Fishing in WA..

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
ameluke
Angler

Personal opinion on Fishing in WA..

Post by ameluke » Mon May 18, 2009 5:39 pm

Ok so here it goes for all the anglers in WA. I just recieved an email back from the state concerning the fishing opportunities in WA and personally I was kindof distrubed to see what they sent. As I have been able to deduce from this forum and reading reports, there are many MULTI-SPECIES fishermen out there. I had asked about the stocking practices and theories behind them. Again what I recieved from it was disturbing to me. I asked what is the point of putting sterile fish in the systems. Answer, the lake can comfortably handle the added populations. Ok I can understand that, but in the year round lakes, I only have luck in the spring and early summer fishing these bodies of water due to the amount of fish stocked. Answer from them states that when they performed a species fishing study as to the amount ans types of fish sout after that the vast majority of WA would rather catch trout than any other type of fish. The reason they gave for stocking the way that they do is that that is what the people want. Ok, So let me get this straight, they stock lakes with populations of fish that cant self sustain in the lake without populating it, with some lakes sterile fish, and also dont help with the forage in the lakes. I DONT FEEL THIS IS RIGHT!!! Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldnt it make more sence to stock the lakes with species that will self populate and then allow the lake to grow in a more natural manner? I think that makes more sence then stocking with fish that they have to keep stocking. I will admit that WA allows the angler to fish multi-species across the state but it takes a multi million dollar a year stocking practice to get it there. I am not saying that trout are not a fun fish to catch. I love the look on my kids', 4 of them, eyes wqhen they catch a high flying fish, but I want to be able to get them into a mess of panfish so they can catch absolute numbers of fun fish. Lakes that held them before are not anymore, and the quality of the fish are only seemingly to drop of the years. They say that they are trying to prevent stunted populations, well supply the water with enough forage for them all. Introduce forage fish such as perch, bluegill, crappie, bass, shinners, shad, herring, ect.. into the lakes so they all can grew. Even good healthy populations of fat pregnant trout to fill the waters puts great forage into a lake. I could just be beating a dead horse with this but I think it is time for a change. The only way for us to do this is to participate in a NON-BIASED survey to help the populations out there. The state is catering to those that I have read on here that say, "I HATE THE WALLEYES, KILL THEM ALL!!" And to pu the icing on the cake they are doing so as to prevent lakes from sustaining a healthy naturally reproducing lake of other fish. Any comments on this novel are all taken with the thought of that everyone has their own opinion. I hope that there is no hard feelings out there. If there is please dont leave deogratory comments. It is a feeling that I have had since I have fished WA and just want to know the thoughts of others. Ones that can prove their feelings are just and complete are more appreciated than 'YOU DONT KNOW S**T.' Thanks for reading and I hope to get good feedback on this one. Good luck on the water and see you out there.

Luke

swedefish4life1
Admiral

RE:Personal opinion on Fishing in WA..

Post by swedefish4life1 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:46 pm

Very good questions? but the bigger puzzle to the Cream Cheeze is :colors: how many local lakes SUPPORT creeks:-$ , running waters:-$ , gravel beds:-$ and habitat/trees, brush and shade to protect the (Reds):-$ to support some of these Questions???:chef: :cheers:

Let alone proper water quality numbers and habitat for fry and returning natural spawning fish???#-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 18, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Mon May 18, 2009 5:52 pm

I'm not sure why this is posted int he technical support section... moving this to the freshwater fishing forum.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

ameluke
Angler

Post by ameluke » Mon May 18, 2009 7:32 pm

swedefish4life1 wrote:Very good questions? but the bigger puzzle to the Cream Cheeze is :colors: how many local lakes SUPPORT creeks:-$ , running waters:-$ , gravel beds:-$ and habitat/trees, brush and shade to protect the (Reds):-$ to support some of these Questions???:chef: :cheers:

Let alone proper water quality numbers and habitat for fry and returning natural spawning fish???#-o

I am refering to the "warm-water species" mainly in this thread. Like a good lake for example is erie in skagit county. Great weeds and brush for bass yet not too many in there. Or campbell in skagit were the lake is deep enough and yet perfect flats for perch. I have yet to see a perch caught out of there. All these lakes could easily support a vast variety of different fish if the practices were put in place to support these fisheries. I know that these lakes have perfect ability to grow big fish if given the chance to come fully to the potential that they could. Put forage in the lakes that as well become a great fishing oppurtunity unto itself. I am not trying to ruffle feather persay but I am not thinking only along the lines of trout here. I would love to see tropghy game fish in these lakes that I know can support them. I personnally know of a lake that has great weeds and pads that house a huge number of bass and panfish that is done so naturally without help. Areas like that are what I am pertaining to. Thanks for the reply to the post. I can bet I am going to stir the pot with this one. Good luck out there..

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon May 18, 2009 8:21 pm

I think what you are saying is that you feel that the state could do a better job of providing a managed fishery for pan fish, or just anything besides making it all trout? It was a little hard to follow the original post when it is written in all one giant paragraph.
I am sure that there are many people who love these other species and would also like to see these fish get there deserved attention from the state. I think that the state probably doesn't have the budget or manpower to meet all the angler's wishes for different stocking programs. I too would love to see some lakes that were managed as bass only maybe. However the state is going to try and appeal to the masses..... and unfortuneatley the masses seem to want trout.

It sounds like you fish in Skagit County, (Oak Harbor) etc. I don't know what the lakes up there are like in terms of species variety. While most Western WA. lakes hold trout, there are plenty of bass lakes out there if you talk to people or read the forums for hints. I think that the bass waters maintain themselves well due to most bass anglers practicing catch/release.

Admittedly, I don't fish much for bluegill or crappie, but I think they are best found on the East side of the state. Although there are certainly some crappie lakes over here too. And the hard thing about perch is that there is no limit, so everyone thinks in terms of getting themselves a "Bucket" full of perch for a fish fry. And that brings us back to, do most of our lakes have a healthy enough eco-system to support their own poplulations of these fish? I think the answer to that is questionalble. If the lake's health is fragile and then you take certain fish and make them "No limit" then I don't think the fishery will ever be self supportive. (correct me if I am wrong... but I am pretty sure that panfish,, i.e. bluegill, perch, crappie, all fall under no limits.) If I am way off base, then I am sorry. That's just my thoughts.
Good luck finding some panfish.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 18, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon May 18, 2009 9:01 pm

Become a member of the Volunteer Angler Survey program through WDFW. Since I became a member, they have received a data sheet as to how much warmwater fishing I do, numbers of hours, numbers and size of fish, and all the species kept or released. This allows them to better quantify the impact of warmwater fishing and better support our habits.

I agree that trout take up a big chunk of their budget, and warmwater species are being left out.

Get involved, its well worth the effort.

E

ameluke
Angler

Post by ameluke » Mon May 18, 2009 10:10 pm

The Quadfather wrote:I think what you are saying is that you feel that the state could do a better job of providing a managed fishery for pan fish, or just anything besides making it all trout? It was a little hard to follow the original post when it is written in all one giant paragraph.
I am sure that there are many people who love these other species and would also like to see these fish get there deserved attention from the state. I think that the state probably doesn't have the budget or manpower to meet all the angler's wishes for different stocking programs. I too would love to see some lakes that were managed as bass only maybe. However the state is going to try and appeal to the masses..... and unfortuneatley the masses seem to want trout.

It sounds like you fish in Skagit County, (Oak Harbor) etc. I don't know what the lakes up there are like in terms of species variety. While most Western WA. lakes hold trout, there are plenty of bass lakes out there if you talk to people or read the forums for hints. I think that the bass waters maintain themselves well due to most bass anglers practicing catch/release.

Admittedly, I don't fish much for bluegill or crappie, but I think they are best found on the East side of the state. Although there are certainly some crappie lakes over here too. And the hard thing about perch is that there is no limit, so everyone thinks in terms of getting themselves a "Bucket" full of perch for a fish fry. And that brings us back to, do most of our lakes have a healthy enough eco-system to support their own poplulations of these fish? I think the answer to that is questionalble. If the lake's health is fragile and then you take certain fish and make them "No limit" then I don't think the fishery will ever be self supportive. (correct me if I am wrong... but I am pretty sure that panfish,, i.e. bluegill, perch, crappie, all fall under no limits.) If I am way off base, then I am sorry. That's just my thoughts.
Good luck finding some panfish.

Thanks you for your well thought out reply. You are not at all way off base. INFACT, you put what I was thinking into a much clearer persective then how I wrote it. I am only so very upset over this as I wrote the state and the reply I recieved was basically, "DEAL WITH IT." Ok so maybe not that to the point but dawm close. This has only become an issue due to that these lakes that should hold fish year-round are almost to the point of unfishable in the winter months due to no fish in them. I can spen 6 hours on the water and maybe mark 20 fish in that whole time. Thank you for the inputs. Good luck on the water and your insite in this matter.

Luke

ameluke
Angler

Post by ameluke » Mon May 18, 2009 10:12 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Become a member of the Volunteer Angler Survey program through WDFW. Since I became a member, they have received a data sheet as to how much warmwater fishing I do, numbers of hours, numbers and size of fish, and all the species kept or released. This allows them to better quantify the impact of warmwater fishing and better support our habits.

I agree that trout take up a big chunk of their budget, and warmwater species are being left out.

E
Thanks for the info. I just wrote to them and hopefully get my packet soon. I cant wait to be come a part of the solution and not the problem. Good luck on the water.

Luke

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Tue May 19, 2009 8:21 am

I have to disagree.
I don't understand why every lake has to have multi-introduced species. I prefer they plant the sterile fish because so many of the lakes with native fish are getting forced out. Although, I wish they wouldn't plant lakes that have reproducing populations and access to spawning areas at all!
I used to know some great cutthroat lakes that the fish are completely gone because of stocked fish being planted. I don't understand what you would like them to do? Plant panfish? Most lakes have so many warm water species that they are already stunted. I think they should look at getting rid of harvest limits on introduced species. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Tue May 19, 2009 8:41 am

Gisteppo wrote:Become a member of the Volunteer Angler Survey program through WDFW. Since I became a member, they have received a data sheet as to how much warmwater fishing I do, numbers of hours, numbers and size of fish, and all the species kept or released. This allows them to better quantify the impact of warmwater fishing and better support our habits.

E
Thanks Gisteppo for the information. To add to that here is the link for the program as well ...

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/warmwater/volunteer.htm

Just sent them my info as well!
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Tue May 19, 2009 9:16 am

I just wanted to add the reason that the warmwater fish don't do as well here as eastern WA or the rest of the country is FOOD. The lakes here are on average are not fertile enough to feed all those fish. A small lake on the Eastern side has way more food in it for the fish to eat then a much larger one over here. So then what you have is too many small fish that compete with each other.
Bass eat the small fish, which is why the lakes here can hold a few large bass, but nothing like the east side. With most of the smaller panfish species, other fish make up too small a part of the diet to survive. Even if they were just eating smaller fish, those fish would need food to. Some of the lakes here are fairly fertile, especially the large ones and those have the healthiest populations of Panfish. Add to that a larger population of people targeting a more limited # of fish.
So, perhaps the state should plant aquatic insects to support larger numbers of introduced species. ;)

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:32 am

Temps, rain and more push the hatch all over the Globe and those points are a Learning tool:-$
As the match to hatch on the west side suffers 9 months of the year some years more so promoting multi fish in a lake that will support trout and there growing leaner each season due to the goofs who all want to live water side and all they bring to that table in unnatural goodies for fish NOT:-$

Big Big waters will support many differnt fish but the introduction of spinyray to smaller waters will reduce that waters if its bows to ground zero and fast!

Bottom line make a choice and not all will be happy with it:clown: but make a effort to provide Clean Fish and game mamagement for years to come:-$

I DON'T CARE IF ITS GOLDFISH:cyclopsan #-o
Make them the best Koy they can be for the waters we have for the game:bounce:

This area is blessed waters and 2 differnt elements and climates hours away, press them each and all each one provides a Sunburn:colors: or rainstorm:brilsmurf and a differnt adventure if your passons match the hatch:thumright :viking:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 19, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Tue May 19, 2009 12:17 pm

I suggest travelling a little and then re-think your complaint. You have a legitimate beef with the way the state responded to your question but you also have to realize they deal with a ton of what I call "crackerjack biologists". I am not saying you are one of them.Whenever somone starts their statement by giving a narrow or single issue as the reason behind any problem an educated person around that subject is atomatically hearing snoopies voice. I will give you an example of what I am referring to. I am the local branch president for an organization dedicated to the whitetail deer. I get a call from one of my members last week. He says, the reason we don't have bigger bucks in this state is because we have too many predators. After that statement all I hear is whawawawawawah. Predators could be an issue, (the main predator being me and every other hunter) but the issue is so much more complex than that it isn't even funny.

This state and for that matter this entire region, Idaho,Montana, Oregon...is incredibly diverse. I ahve fished and hunted in a lot of different states and the level of diversity among all wildlife ( hunitng and fishing kind) decreases significantly the farther away you get from this part of the country. Where else in the country can you catch or kill almost every species on the Norht American continent. As the Swede says press all waters and inflict much pain and more. Am I starting to understand you Swede?

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:19 pm

:-$ :cheers:

You younger lads good lord jump outside the blackbox and live your passions.:tongue:

I wore out 10 top end Upland bird dogs in less then 20 years:thumleft:
We ran the pads off there feet and ours as well over every ditch, crop, cliff, creek, river and temps some late in the season way under 5 degrees!:sunny:

I was blessed with many great dogs most guys get one, a bird dog asks for little but respect he gives his all and will die in the field if he is good for his owner trained for game time.:thumright

Abuse I think not my last boy my prize( Visla pointer)](*,) turns 18 in 6 days=d> why he gave his all for 12 years he never left me sick and he had my back and birds, sound dogs , Badgers and more for Swede:-$

My vet says this is a record for the Breed he will not make July 1st but he will make his Birthday and mine if I have to carry him into the cupcakes and food! :chef:

Passions get some search and destroy, give back, make a kids dreams a weekend of doing and the door does not open KICK IT IN!:chef:

You will learn little in your back yard or local community PRESS and bring the hate it makes you Great!:-$

Idaho = Oct and November 6 river systems to slaughter metalhead :-$

Alaska Summers 2nd to none!:-$

The Keys= bone, sharks, and gals!!!:colors: :-$

Wa = hunting and fishing but you have to get remote and press and reach for more and be better then the next guy the average guy will quit as soon as it gets ugly or rough :clown:

Around the next mountain, ditch or seam may be the 6x7 you so very earned from doing but you will never taste it:-$ feel it:-$ or bring it if your passions, workbenches don't match your hatch and Gear!:-$

Each days is a gift open it and find what is outside the fence most are stuck in!!!:-& :-# :cheers:

Tight Lines Fish and hunt on!!!

I have 3 = 3x tee shirts with that!:cyclopsan
Attachments
asnsdc.jpg
asnsdc.jpg (111.95 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
111118.JPG
111118.JPG (62.14 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
asnsdc.jpg
asnsdc.jpg (111.95 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
_BONICS-084.jpg
_BONICS-084.jpg (70.92 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
2222222222222.jpg
2222222222222.jpg (97.88 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 19, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Tue May 19, 2009 12:30 pm

I would buy that if it was on a T-shirt!

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Tue May 19, 2009 12:42 pm

Desertcreek wrote:I would buy that if it was on a T-shirt!
Here you go ...

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... 1iubx2mo_b
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue May 19, 2009 2:05 pm

Ameluke, I think that several of your concerns have been discussed. I also have some additional considerations.

First, if warm water species are adaptable to your local waters, then Johnny Fish seed, aka bucket biologist, would already have stalked them. So, for the most part, the state only needs the money to eradicate these species when the hurt the local biology.

Second, trout is indeed king in the pacific northwest. The reason? They are easy to catch. I fish for trout like I fish for Bass, and to be honest with you, I have two partners that can fish and catch like I do - my son and one friend. We do not fish like the rest. Most like to troll, or dunk bait, and if you fish for a lot of warm water species like that, you will get skunked. So, unless you are a transplant to the area, the majority simply do not know how to fish for other then trout.

I think that the Pacific Northwest is just a different culture. Some lakes are not suited to the fish you, and I, prefer, as has been previously discussed. Some are well suited, and in those lakes, the fish already exist. Still, there is a culture in the management and biologist ranks that look at any species not native to the pacific northwest as a lower class fish. I would like to tell you that it will change with time, but in fact, it is getting worse, not better.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

ameluke
Angler

Post by ameluke » Tue May 19, 2009 6:14 pm

Thank you all for the replies. Jake Dogfish, I would have to say that I think you almost countered yourself!! LOL!! I am not saying that all lakes need to have panfish, trout, bass, walleye, ect.. species in them. What I was trying to say in here is that I feel that the lake should be tailored to what they can support in as much a natural mannor as possible.

If the lake is right for trout, put a healthy population of fertile trout that will populate and reproduce naturally. I feel it is a better quality of fishing and taste along with a great self sustaining eco system. same goes for bass, panfish, ect.

Anglinarcher, THANK YOU for your interests in this topic. I am a implant from the Midwest and I have fished everything except trout before coming up here. I have seen great lakes come and go, BUT, mostly stay. That means that the lakes up in Minnesota are natural. YES NATURAL. Ok, saying that it also means that I dont ever remember hearing(I could be wrong) lets put in grass carp to get rid of weeds. Doing so you get rid of habitat that is needed for the fish that are in the lake.

I am all about making the lake the best possible lake for the best possible fishing opportunities. No matter the species in it. I hope that helps with what I am trying to say in here. Good luck out there.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Tue May 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Since the WDFW is facing 21 million dolllars reduction in funding, the Warmwater fish enhancement problem will probably face cuts as well. Thier new release states "Hatchery fish production, wildlife species recovery activities, technical assistance for habitat protection, wildlife area maintenance, fish and wildlife population monitoring, customer service and outreach and education are among the activities that will be reduced under the 2009-11 operating budget approved by the state Legislature this year. "

I guess you can wait till things heat up for warmwater species. This site should help you locate specific lakes with healthy warmwater species. You probably need to wait for the economy to be better and hope that the WDFW will focus on warmwater fish 2012 and beyond.

I got the information from: http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/release.php?id=may1309c
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Tue May 19, 2009 7:28 pm

Great looking Vizsla Swede.

Everyone has great points on this topic and has covered pretty much everything so I have nothing to add. I like that the DFG plants all the "food" for the Spiny Rays err Trout.