Bass in a River?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
MikeFishes
Commander

Bass in a River?

Post by MikeFishes » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:32 pm

Okay, I know it's not that strange. Anywhere a Bass can go, it will. But I was fishing on the Sammamish river this morning and caught a SMB on a Dick Nite spoon. Which seemed odd to me. I was casting it out at about a 45 degree angle to the river and letting it fall a ways, then slowly reel it in, real slow since the river is doing most of the work anyhow. It was a real light strike, but a really good fight.

So, I know there's more bass in that river, but since it's Selective Gear rules, I can't use anything that has more than 1 hook (no trebbles), and no sented lures. What lures could I use? I'm thinking Plastics are out since lot's of them are "salted", which I would consider sented.

Here's the selective gear rules:
Only unscented artificial flies or lures with one single-point, barbless hook are allowed.
Up to a total of three artificial flies or lures containing single-point, barbless hooks
may be used. Bait is prohibited; fish may be released until the daily limit is retained. Only
knotless nets may be used to land fish. No one may fish from any fl oating device
equipped with an internal combustion motor, except where specifically allowed under
Special Rules for individual waters. (Electric motors are now permitted under selective
gear rules). If any fish has swallowed the hook or is hooked in the gill, eye, or tongue,
it should be kept if legal to do so.
Here's the SMB that I got. Good size, I'd say within 5 lbs.

tnj8222
Admiral

RE:Bass in a River?

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:06 pm

nice fish looks like its around 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. i didnt know the smallies were in there either.. looks like i might have to check it out.

wacky rig a 3 inch senko, they are scentless.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:09 pm

Sorry but no way that thing runs 5lbs unless you stuck a rock in its gullet :compress: (unless your hand happens to be the size of a basketball lol)

Smallmouth bass love current/rocks, and rivers. Looks like that spot has it all!

Try unscented plastics then? There are still a lot of those out there. Crimp your hooks, swap out the hooks on your hard baits with single hooks, etc...

Sounds like a PITA to get at some bass though with selective rules in place.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:09 pm

tnj8222 wrote:nice fish looks like its around 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. i didnt know the smallies were in there either.. looks like i might have to check it out.

wacky rig a 3 inch senko, they are scentless.
do you think they count salt as scent?

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:17 pm

yeah actually you cant use senkos not sure if salt would be ok but senkos do have scent..

" Another fact not commonly known is that the scent is molded into the Senko. The scent is a powerful blend of natural ingredients including amino acids and proteins from foods commonly eaten by bass. The salt and scent are in the bait, not on it." this is striaght from the senko man himself. http://www.joejonesfishing.com/articles ... rticle.htm
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:38 pm

tnj8222 wrote:yeah actually you cant use senkos not sure if salt would be ok but senkos do have scent..

" Another fact not commonly known is that the scent is molded into the Senko. The scent is a powerful blend of natural ingredients including amino acids and proteins from foods commonly eaten by bass. The salt and scent are in the bait, not on it." this is striaght from the senko man himself. http://www.joejonesfishing.com/articles ... rticle.htm
Just had to clarify what is considered as "Bait". The regs consider Bait as...
Anything that attracts fish or shellfish by scent and/or flavor. This includes any device made of feathers, hair, fiber, wood, metal, glass, cork, leather, rubber, or plastic, which uses scent and/or flavoring to attract fish or wildlife.
So, it has to be completely sent free.

GJorgy
Warrant Officer

Post by GJorgy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:59 pm

Nice surprise! Bass are in a lot of places that folks wouldn't think of. I caught a Largemouth in the Skagit river near Conway a bunch of years back. I was casting stramers for cutthroat at the time. What a shock that was. If you're into flyfishing try a black or brown "bunny strip" leech, it's artificial and unscented. Pinch the barb and you're in business.

I work in Redmond not far off the slough...I just might have to give those guys a shot during my lunch hour! Maybe I'll see you down there!

Oh yea...what WERE you trying to catch down there.
George Patton:"Live for something rather than die for nothing."

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:19 pm

GJorgy wrote:Oh yea...what WERE you trying to catch down there.
Well, I hear there's supposed to be some trout there (C&R only), but I've yet to catch one.

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:48 pm

The berkley blade dancer is an excellent river lure, and i believe it meets all of the selective gear rules, provided you crimp the barb on the hook. just cast it out and let it drift a bit, then simply flip your bail and let it swim in place. It will wiggle right under the surface, or a very slow retrieve will get it just on the surface, depending on the swiftness of the current of course. with a little practice you can "aim" it so it will swim right by boulders or current breaks. Smallies will absolutely blow it up. Also it works excellent with a small planer board, like a sidewinder.

Another great river smallie lure is a blue fox spinner. Just change the treble out for a single hook and crimp the barb and you're set.

dbaker
Petty Officer

Post by dbaker » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:58 pm

I think Khalin grubs are scent free. Plus I'm sure you can find tubes without sent.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:35 pm

Nice smallie Mikey. I'd take that any day. Keep at it man, your really coming around as a bass fisherman. Even if it is by chance, it still counts. :cheers:
I would use plastics that don't have any sent. Roboworm, tubes, and senkos. But hey, what do we know, looks like your doing just fine with the Dick Nite.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:38 am

hey mikey i once got a 3lb smally out of this river ... if you fish sammamish river starting @ kenmoore boat launch , lake washington reg apply here .. just make sure that you adjust to river regs if you decided to go under the bridge heading up stream...BBD

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Fishin_Freak
Angler

Post by Fishin_Freak » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:56 pm

I hate seeing a great body of water so restricted. But what you can do is any lure you want to use with treble hooks is to get a soldering gun and some solid rings and put your choice of single hooks on. Mister twister grubs are unscented but Im pretty sure every Kalin has salt in it. I would know, ;) I have about 1000 of them.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:47 pm

id just use split rings and not mess with soldering.. .02