1,790 new baby muskies are cruising around Lake Tapps!

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
KUP
Commander

1,790 new baby muskies are cruising around Lake Tapps!

Post by KUP » Tue May 05, 2009 6:18 pm

We didn’t find out until the last minute that Fish & Wildlife was going to stock Lake Tapps today, so a few of us from CH #57 hurried out to the lake to help.

As it turned out, CMA also had heard, so we all worked together and got the baby muskies in the lake.
It was really exciting to see all the little fish and Steve Caromile, from WDFW, took 4 baby muskies in a cooler to Cabela’s on his way back to Olympia. Now everyone can go to Cabela’s and see the baby muskies. The esox planted today are some of the biggest and healthiest that WDFW has ever raised and there was 100% survival rate in the tanks for their ride across the mountains.
Tammy Gish, the tank truck driver said that the Rearing Tank that Chapter #57 donated was a great help in raising this brood.
The tank truck and the stocking boat caused quite a stir at Allen York Launch and many, many vehicles pulled over, and people got out and came to watch the fun, some with their children. It turned into a great hands on science fair and everyone remarked on how beautiful they were.
One CMA member came to help and there were a handful of Chapter #57 members, who were able to get off work on short notice. Good Times and good company.
Here are a couple of pictures from the days work/fun.
Check out Chapter #57’s web site for more pictures: http://nwtigermuskies.org/stocking2009/index.html
Attachments
DSCF5606.JPG
DSCF5606.JPG (86.54 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
DSCF5632.JPG
DSCF5632.JPG (50.64 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
DSCF5609.JPG
DSCF5609.JPG (85.76 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
DSCF5583.JPG
DSCF5583.JPG (87.69 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 11, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows

swedefish4life1
Admiral

RE:1,790 new baby muskies are cruising around Lake Tapps!

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Very good job:-$ all you guys!:cheers:

Dex
Lieutenant

Post by Dex » Tue May 05, 2009 8:36 pm

Great job guys.....

I know at least one of those baby has my name on it in a few years....
President
Chapter 57, Muskies Inc.
NW TIGER PAC

http://www.nwtigermuskies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Tue May 05, 2009 10:13 pm

Good job you guys, it's great that you could give the WDFW a hand at getting those babies out in the lake. Sorry we missed it. A big thanks to the WDFW for another batch of tigers for the lake.:cheers:
Ever have a Tiger by the tail? I have!
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

bad esox
Lieutenant

Post by bad esox » Tue May 05, 2009 10:26 pm

Wow!

What a fantastic day it was today out there today helping the WDFW stock all those 1790 new baby "tigers" in Lake Tapps!

Thanks to all who participated and to all those who stopped by to see what was going on.

It certainly was a pleasure speaking with you and answering your questions.

The weather made things rather "interesting" today, however, it was time very well spent among other Tiger Muskie anglers and enthusiasts.

I love the picture of Brett kissing the new baby tiger...that's one for the photo book!

We are all very fortunate that we live in a time when things are only getting better for many muskie anglers due to the promotion of a high quality Muskellunge sport fishery and the "C-P-R" methods that are highly practiced today by many anglers.

Muskies, Inc. have always had close associations with WDFW/DNR officials in their local communities. From manpower to financial help, M.I. has been there, whenever we're needed. M.I. chapters have participated with countless Lake Associations over the years etc...We are here to promote good fellowship and sportsmanship among men, women, and children. Today was a prime example of that. I am proud of what we can can accomplish together and I would like to thank you all for your support in our on going efforts to help the WDFW maintain this wonderful tiger fishery.

P.S. - Thanks to the good people of Bonney Lake Facilities for helping us out today also!

This will definitely be a day to remember:)
>----):< A good gamefish is too valuable, to be caught only once.
NW TIGER PAC, Chapter 57 of Muskies, Inc.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed May 06, 2009 6:06 am

Sweet, Baby Muskys :cheers:

I hope Brett didnt give that lil Musky a whisker burn #-o

ProAngler'sDaughter
Petty Officer

Post by ProAngler'sDaughter » Thu May 07, 2009 9:39 pm

How very cool! That's exciting stuff! Glad you guys got to be there...I wish I could have joined you!

FANTASTIC PICTURE OF BRETT; but no fair "kissing up" to those fish!! He catches enough of them already!!!

PAD :fish:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 07, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riverman
Petty Officer

Post by Riverman » Thu May 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Those are some healthy looking fish.............good deal!!

Jed V.

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Mon May 18, 2009 11:58 am

They are already very aggresive too. We were bass fishing and hooked three, only landed one, C&Red quickly. They were very healthy fish too. Its great to see the lake getting planted with more muskie, they are great fish.

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Mon May 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Thx for the quick release, HH. It makes for good fish karma, too. :salut:

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:00 am

If you havent been to Cabelas lately, check out this thread for an update on this years Baby Muskys. Pics and a video of the siblings to the Muskys pictured above.

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... -link.aspx

Baby Musky feeding Vid - 4bODIaoY6YY

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:10 pm

I hate to be a wet blanket, but survival of fall plants is very low, and the reason WDFW plants them in fall is to get rid of them because there's more fingerlings in the hatchery than the existing facilities have room for. This is good in the sense it indicates hatchery survival is very good and we'll have a bumper crop of planters next spring, but I'd guess few of these fall plants will grow up to be catchables.

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:12 pm

I hate to be a wet blanket, but survival of fall plants is very low, and the reason WDFW plants them in fall is to get rid of them because there's more fingerlings in the hatchery than the existing facilities have room for. This is good in the sense it indicates hatchery survival is very good and we'll have a bumper crop of planters next spring, but I'd guess few of these fall plants will grow up to be catchables. In my view, the most significant thing about this event is seeing the two clubs working together on a fish project. To me, that's important, and very good news.

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:56 pm

I hate to be a wet blanket, but survival of fall plants is very low, and the reason WDFW plants them in fall is to get rid of them because there's more fingerlings in the hatchery than the existing facilities have room for. This is good in the sense it indicates hatchery survival is very good and we'll have a bumper crop of planters next spring, but I'd guess few of these fall plants will grow up to be catchables. The most important thing about this event is the two clubs working together on a fish project. To me, that's a very good thing for the muskie angling community, and I hope we'll see even more inter-club cooperation in the future.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Sorry you were having problems. I had to make some updates to the site today that caused some temporary problems. Everything should be working now.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

geljockey
Petty Officer

Post by geljockey » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:27 am

Don Wittenberger wrote:I hate to be a wet blanket, but survival of fall plants is very low, and the reason WDFW plants them in fall is to get rid of them because there's more fingerlings in the hatchery than the existing facilities have room for. This is good in the sense it indicates hatchery survival is very good and we'll have a bumper crop of planters next spring, but I'd guess few of these fall plants will grow up to be catchables. The most important thing about this event is the two clubs working together on a fish project. To me, that's a very good thing for the muskie angling community, and I hope we'll see even more inter-club cooperation in the future.
Don, what fall plants are you talking about? WDFW normally plants tiger muskies in the spring.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:25 am

Yea, the links I provided are pics and a vid clip of the spring stock babys that were planed in early May. 5 of them were put into the Cabelas tank.

They are doing nicely and obviously eating well.
Don Wittenberger wrote: The most important thing about this event is the two clubs working together on a fish project. To me, that's a very good thing for the muskie angling community, and I hope we'll see even more inter-club cooperation in the future.
Agreed!!! :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:38 pm

Ooops. Didn't read the date of the comment ...

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:01 pm

Ra, your video of the baby tiger feeding is awesome. Thanks for posting it. They are like little torpedoes when they go in for the "lunch". 0 to 60 in 2 feet, lol.
So cool that people get to see them up close.
Is there any scientific data on why their tails are getting shredded? I know they were perfect when they put them in there. Maybe something to do with aquarium life?

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:12 pm

KUP wrote:Ra, your video of the baby tiger feeding is awesome. Thanks for posting it. They are like little torpedoes when they go in for the "lunch". 0 to 60 in 2 feet, lol.
So cool that people get to see them up close.
Is there any scientific data on why their tails are getting shredded? I know they were perfect when they put them in there. Maybe something to do with aquarium life?

Your Welcome. Ive heard its other fish doing it, but thats hear-say. The fish in the Salmon/Trout tank look pretty beat up too.