Bank Fishin' for Walleye... What bait to use?

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Landlocked
Petty Officer

Bank Fishin' for Walleye... What bait to use?

Post by Landlocked » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Do walleye take worms? Or are they gonna want something more distracting? Any advice?

YellowBear
Captain

RE:Bank Fishin' for Walleye... What bait to use?

Post by YellowBear » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:09 am

Crawlers work just fine.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:10 am

Crawlers on a three ft leader worked great for us shore fishing on the Columbia. Just real in a little at a time slowly.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:14 pm

I have also caught 2 nice Walleye on the Columbia fishing using nightcrawlers.
"One more......."

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Tell us how you intend to fish the worms. If you ball them up like a lot of trout fishermen, worms are not so good. If you hook them one time, and let them wiggle and twitch, worms are a great walleye bait. Of course if you have small fish in the area, you will go through a lot of worms (LOL).

I have taken many outsized walleye by tail hooking the worm, then using a worm inflater to float it off the bottom, using 6" to as much as 6' of leader, then cast it out and let it sit. IF the walleye are not moving around, then bring it in a little at a time to "cover the water". Sometimes the inflater is not needed.

Worms, as a bait, on walleye spinner rigs is one of the favorites, with only leaches and minnows considered as good or better. Note that minnows, at least live minnows, are not allowed in WA and leaches will not be allowed next year (See VHS).

Worms as a bait for tipping jigs is hot as well. And................well, you get the point. Worms are great, it is how you rig them for walleye that matters.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

wmaxwell48
Warrant Officer

Post by wmaxwell48 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:35 pm

On Leaches;

Gulp Alive now has both susppending leaches and new this year Floating Leaches 5". The later would be excellent for bank fishing as it gets the bait up a little of the bottom with the leader as the control on how far up it will suspend. Put this on a Carolina or Lindy rig and you have a winner.

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:03 pm

Dear God William do you work for Al Linder or something.

Trust me when I tell you Gulp and Gulp Alive, minnows, crawlers and leeches DO NOT outfish live bait. Sure they will 1 time in 10 outfish live bait but more than likely that will have more to do with the talent at the end of the rod more than the bait at the end of the hook.

Seriously, how many Walleyes have you caught on Gulp? Give me an accurate count. I want to make sure this something you know works and not some advertisement you saw.

I fish for Walleyes often. I have used Gulp Minnows, Gulp Worms, Gulp Leeches and Gulp Goby (immitation sculpin). I have caught 1 eye on all of it. Its probably me though.
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

spadam98
Petty Officer

Post by spadam98 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:03 am

Here is a pic of the 27 inch walleye my wife caught 2 years ago from shore with a size 8 hook with nightcrawler by Kettle Fallshttp://www.washingtonlakes.com/Photos/5 ... re1151.jpg

Hal
Warrant Officer

Post by Hal » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:15 am

Very nice!
I am the mayor of ball cap land BOW to me ...

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:03 pm

Joe Heater wrote:Dear God William do you work for Al Linder or something.

Trust me when I tell you Gulp and Gulp Alive, minnows, crawlers and leeches DO NOT outfish live bait. Sure they will 1 time in 10 outfish live bait but more than likely that will have more to do with the talent at the end of the rod more than the bait at the end of the hook.

Seriously, how many Walleyes have you caught on Gulp? Give me an accurate count. I want to make sure this something you know works and not some advertisement you saw.

I fish for Walleyes often. I have used Gulp Minnows, Gulp Worms, Gulp Leeches and Gulp Goby (immitation sculpin). I have caught 1 eye on all of it. Its probably me though.
LOL, I'm not William, but I will agree that for still fishing plastics and synthetics are not very useful. When used as a trailer on a spinner harness, or as a jig trailer, or even as a drop shot bait, they are quite good. But, no more so than a scented plastic used the same way.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Landlocked
Petty Officer

Post by Landlocked » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Excellent feedback, everyone. I'm encouraged to hear good reports for fishing off the banks of the Columbia. I'm going to give it a try.

And... Spadam98, awesome pic!

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Tue May 05, 2009 6:31 pm

Landlocked, as Anglinarcher mentioned before before about letting the worm wiggle, yes.

The following is the method that works best for me. I use a slip sinker on the main line heavy enough to stay put (esp in current). Then a bead, then a barrell swivel and 18 to 24" of leader with a #4 hook (prefer octapus). My worm, I hook only through the head so it can wiggle. I leave my line loose (as to droop) and watch for it to tighten (if I have no wind or current). As it gets tight I open the bail and let it take it until it stops. In current or windy conditions I will hold my line tought with my finger and bail. When I feel pressure I will let it take it until it stops (sometimes it don't stop in current) and then set the hook.

This especially works well when you are getting tiny little pulls. But that also could be small crawdads. There is a slight difference between the Eyes and Dads with that tiny pull. And that is to hard to explain, am not even going to try.
Sometimes they are just plain agressive and it is no problem catching them with worm on the bottom.

As I mentioned this method works the best for me when I shore fish for Walleyes. It my not be for you but give a try and PM me how it works for you. Good Luck Landlocked!

:-"
Well its not called Catching!

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:00 pm

I'm just a bass guy, and have no business talking walleye and honestly don't do much shore fishing, but I caught this one at Banks lake fishing from shore with a lipless crankbait. I'd say if you are around an area that has a nice break with some rocks and weeds to give it a try. You can cast them a mile and cover alot of water and if there are aggressive fish around you're odds are pretty good you'll get their attention. I grew up fishing for Walleye on Lake Erie in Ohio, and occasionally you could time it right and really whack them with lipless cranks when you were shore fishing. tight lines! - Dave
Attachments
BanksWalleye1.jpg
BanksWalleye1.jpg (44.2 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:18 pm

It's been a while since I've seen a wally that size out of banks...that's a WACKO! :geek: Nice job thanks for the pic.

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:03 pm

Thanks Mav, appreciate the comment. -Dave
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:04 pm

Very Strong Dave!!!:-$ :chef: :cheers:

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Hey Swede, this may be the only time I ever have a chance to post to the Walleye section, so much appreciated! My dad would be proud (he's a Walleye charter boat captain on lake erie, but I just have too much of the bassin bug in me.) :) Best - Dave

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu May 14, 2009 1:57 pm

I do Banks lake every year and catch fairly decent walleye from shore.Nothing large but its still fun.Nightcrawlers or a vibrex for me. I find the Blue Fox works almost every time. I usually fish in or around the Steamboat Rock area from shore.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:09 pm

The great Lakes we played some maybe your Dad knows (George Douglas) steelhead, salmon and big Browns guide back that way now moved to the Great NW:-$

We did a 1 hour live radio show for one year Great kid and one of the best I have faced with a the puffer stick :-$ for the easy readers thats a the Fly Rod!](*,) :thumleft:

Again Great fish and thanks for sharing thats getting it done!=d>

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Fri May 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Landlocked wrote:Do walleye take worms? Or are they gonna want something more distracting? Any advice?
Yes. Worms work well in spring and again in fall, but crank baits can also work. Generally, in my experience, a nice finesse rigged worm fished properly is deadly almost anywhere the fish are....

Yeah, i have used the gulp, but almost exclusively for bass. Not sure if I ever got a wally on it. Finesse em' in spring/fall...crank'em in summer. :cheers:
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”