2009 Ling Cod Season

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
swedefish4life1
Admiral

RE:2009 Ling Cod Season

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:06 am

Just Got the call Big Derek= Taylor Anne is hooked up just south of Hat ISLAND off the reef:-# not a monster but they said over 12lbs!!!!:-$ :cheers:
Fish on!!!
Number 1:-$ from my boys and there staying local:chef:

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri May 01, 2009 12:54 pm

I met fishinrob at Des Moines Pier just past 5:30 this morning. Nothing for me and I got too cold when the northly wind started blowing.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri May 01, 2009 2:44 pm

Well here's my opener report; Read the tide book and departed from Fairhaven in Bellingham, Wa at 8:10am. Slack tide was to hit at 9:30am or so. Got to our spot and started fishing. Right off the bat got into a lot of rockfish and a couple sculpins. After a while caught a few undersize lings and one damn near @ 24". Decided to move and try somewhere new as the wind started to pick up, moved from spot to spot and found somewhere fairly well protected; hit 7 lings total all day, biggest was 25" #-o #-o . Lots of rockfish and plenty of action to keep things fun!! Will be back out soon to find berrtha.

Pix:
The steeeed!!

The perfect start to the day, great weather!

Do I hear a sculpin?

Close... but no cigar.....

Just a lil' guy.....

You bet your ass its seabass!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 01, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri May 01, 2009 3:01 pm

Good job Matt:-$ stay on them work the drops and structures you will get a ling a Ding with shoulders:chef: and very nice weather Pictures!!!!:bounce:

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri May 01, 2009 3:15 pm

good luck and have a great opener:viking:
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri May 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Those are fun pictures. You had some catching going on. I enjoyed reading your post!
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri May 01, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks Toni. Yah today was mostly catching and less fishing all day. We had several double header rockfish hookups and one double rock/ling combo. There are a lot more pix but they mostly all ended up on my buddies camera.

Good luck to everyone this weekend!
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Fri May 01, 2009 5:33 pm

thats weird matt's pictures didnt show up for me?
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri May 01, 2009 5:38 pm

really they do for me
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Fri May 01, 2009 5:58 pm

thats odd

anyways I just posted a report on area 7

my dad rewarded me for good grades and let me play hookie for opener of ling season. we had an awesome time I caught a 30incher and my dad got a fat 31incher.

sorry about the pic quality had to use my cell phone
Attachments
2_nice_lings.JPG
2_nice_lings.JPG (34.19 KiB) Viewed 2206 times

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri May 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Well it sure beats getting shot at!!! ....Right, Swede! I think I'll go out of Edmonds tomorrow if it isn't to crowded. I expect to see a few lings off the dock and several more from the boats. I really don't think many will come in and be counted. Good luck to all who venture foward and get the biguns boys!!!

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:18 pm

Steve pass on the pier= sneak :-# out on the far right jeddy 3 cats with the jigs I got you:-$ and some bait FISH ON!!!! :cheers: THEN RUN FAST LOOK Straight out 1,000 yards 27ft Seasport Call me on my cell were off the water at 11:30 I will share a spot shrimp or 12!!!!:chef:

Fish on!!!! BFLL= GREAT JOB VERY PROUD OF YOU!!!:chef:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 01, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

someguyseattle
Petty Officer

Post by someguyseattle » Fri May 01, 2009 7:39 pm

As a by the by, after sneaking off to Shilshole again this afternoon and wrestling some massive battling shiners ( :rambo: ) onto the pier, I saw at least one guy come in with a good size ling and fillet it up on the dock. Other guys had good luck too although I just heard about it and didn't see the fish.
The fish. They are laughing at me. Can you hear them?

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Fri May 01, 2009 8:07 pm

OK now matt's photos showed up

nice fish man looks like you had a lot of fun

keep thumping bottom next time you'll bring back the beast

thanks swede

I'm going out at 5:30 tomorrow wish me luck

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri May 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Nope zero luck :-$ :-# you will earn a few:chef: by doing with the correct work=bench and waters Pressed :cheers:

Ground and pound them:-$ and the weathers are changing and rains and winds coming :batman: :brilsmurf

Remember its the salt and can humble the BEST! be smart and be safe first each and everytrip, forget nothing and if harms way comes bite it and swing for home port to fish and be again!:thumleft: :viking: :sunny:

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Fri May 01, 2009 9:02 pm

Matt...saw your daymark..:-$ decided you hit it hard enough. (nice boat btw..:-" ) I got a couple fish within eye sight, I'll get the pics and report up after I unhook the boat. Not as good as last year, but at least landed some small fish in my window of opportunity......

Nice work lite line. Two keepers. I got word Deception was so-so this morning..:-#

May 5-6-7 will be my Prime Time...:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 01, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

bubba800
Petty Officer

Post by bubba800 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:13 pm

most of you guys had a good opener i went to edmonds today im a bit lazy to write a report but this is how it went after school i headed to edmonds pier. wasn't crowded but was pretty decent amount of people. I started out trying to catch some shiners i heard 4 legal lings and about 10 or so sub-legal caught most on White Plastic/Swimbaits and Live Shiners under a bobber, free swim style. i saw a 24 inch released and 26 inch kept. most of the day was trying to catch bait =( well that failed for me... #-o #-o #-o #-o so i decied to jig lost my good 3 oz jighead #-o #-o #-o in the end i caught nothing. fishingboy on the other hand caught a small rockcod. ended our day witha kicker fish. better luck tomorow headed to shilshole hope to get that LIng :) :bounce: :bounce:
See you out there =]

Adam B.
Petty Officer

Post by Adam B. » Sat May 02, 2009 9:10 am

Fished south side of Hat Island yesterday evening during the low tide. Ended up with one lingcod at 30 inchs but only just over 9 pounds. Wind was picking up along with the waves, so we headed back before they got any bigger. There were 6 or 7 boat all just a little ways west of us jigging also, but didn't see or hear anyone catching fish. Sounds like it would have been better to hit the tide in the morning with the calm winds but a good day anyways.
Attachments
Lingcod_Fishing_1.jpg
Lingcod_Fishing_1.jpg (68.6 KiB) Viewed 2128 times

littlefishingbuddy
Petty Officer

Post by littlefishingbuddy » Sat May 02, 2009 10:26 am

why can I not find the Damn button for adding pics to a post???I can find it if I start a new thread but not for a reply to a thread??? Starting to piss me off. been all over looking for the answer.

Scott

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sat May 02, 2009 10:45 am

littlefishingbuddy wrote:why can I not find the Damn button for adding pics to a post???I can find it if I start a new thread but not for a reply to a thread??? Starting to piss me off. been all over looking for the answer.

Scott
Go to one of YOUR postings and at the top where reply would be it says ATTACH click there you have to post first....
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 02, 2009 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket