When do you need to licence/Register your boat?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
triehl27
Petty Officer

When do you need to licence/Register your boat?

Post by triehl27 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:55 pm

What are the criteria for Registering your boat? I have searched and come up with several different criteria...

1.) if your boat has a motor with 10hp or greater you must register it
2) If your boat has a internal combustion motor you must register it
3) If you boat has a motor on it you must register it
4)any boat greater then 12' in length you must register it.

What is the truth?

thanks, I am planning on registering my duroboat anyways, but this just confused the hell out of me.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:When do you need to licence/Register your boat?

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:38 pm

Good questions, and I can only tell you what I remember. Keep in mind that I already have a boat that is big enough that I already knew it needed it.

First, you will not find the requirements in the Fish and Wildlife regulations. This is not a F&W requirement, but falls under other rules.

Second, my understanding is that size matters not, 8', 28', no difference to the law.

Third, my understanding is that if you have a motor on it, it must be registered, no matter how big the motor is, or rather it is electric or gas.

You can probably call the Washington State Coast Guard Axillary and they can fill you in on the details. While you are at it, check on the required safety items as well.

No, canoes without motors do not need to be licensed, and neither do Pontoons, or float tubes, if they have no motor. Now, do Pontoons with an Electric need to be licensed? I believe yes, but I have never seen them done so.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:54 pm

Drift boats had many zero register as long as I was on the oars and I think If I remember 16fters and below but things chance and they were biggens as soon as the Drifter had a motor REGISTER:-$
I would register my everything , yes you pay some coin but it also protects you if theft:-$ , open waters storms rescue:-$ and more it is a buffer for you just not the system!#-o

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:00 pm

This is at least a start. A Gov. site would be better, since they're the ones enforcing it....

General rule

Oh yeah, get that Boater Education Card while your at it. Just another revenue source for the state, but you gotta have it eventually...(except our master anglers/boaters)

:thumleft:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:50 pm

That "operated exclusively on non-federal waters" is the ticket to small boat owners. I was interested, so I tried a google search and I tried calling the WA title/registration department. Sat on hold for longer than my patience would allow, so gave up, but from what I found on-line, federal waters are defined as any body of water that is effected by the ebb and flow of the ocean and/or regulated by federal equipment (i.e. dams, locks, etc.). I found a list of waters in WA that are considered federal waters....Puget sound, Lake Washington, Lake Union, Lake Sammamish, Columbia River, Snake River, Yakima River, Walla Walla River, and those bodies of water that are bordered by federal lands....so, pretty much everything, but some of the smaller lakes are probably not considered federal waters, so if you only are going to use your little boat w/electric or smaller than 10hp engine on that/those lakes, then you probably do not need to register it. However, you can see how difficult it would be to discern...so it's best to just get your boat registered. If you are really trying to avoid that, then call the DOL and they'll direct you to the right department. Make sure you have plenty of food and water on hand as you might have to wait a while.
FWIW. :):study:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BassCaster
Petty Officer

Post by BassCaster » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Requirements for vessel registration vary from state to state. In Washington, you must have a Washington title, registration card, and registration decals to navigate, operate, employ, or moor a vessel on Washington’s waters. Exceptions to registration and titling are:

Vessels that are not propelled by a motor or sail (canoes, kayaks, etc.)
Vessels that are less than 16 feet in length and have a motor of 10 horsepower or less and are used on non-federal waters only
Properly-registered vessels owned by residents of another state or country that use Washington waters for 60 days or fewer
To obtain a title, a registration card, and registration decals for your vessel, you must present the proper application form, fees, and proof of ownership at your county auditor or vehicle licensing subagent office. (View a list of all Washington State vehicle and vessel licensing offices organized by county.)

The tailor must be registered and you have a choice on registering your boat. If you choose to register the boat you can operate in Idaho and WA and if you do not register than you can only operate that boat in WA.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.