Eastern Wa. Muskie lakes

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Gotcha
Petty Officer

Eastern Wa. Muskie lakes

Post by Gotcha » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:43 pm

To all of those experienced muskie hunters out there, what are some good eastern Washington lakes to hit for targeting tiger muskie? I've never targeted them and I want to give it a shot this year. Also, some suggestions for tackle would be greatly appreciated.
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." -John Wooden

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

RE:Eastern Wa. Muskie lakes

Post by Gone Fishin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:38 pm

Silver, Newman and Curlew.... All 3 can be pretty good. Tackle will depend on which one you are fishing. I am real familiar with Newman and Silver and the tackle for each lake varies greatly.

Jsmooth
Petty Officer

Post by Jsmooth » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:50 pm

I'll take some tips for Newman. Love that lake and fish it regularly but have never targeted Muskies due to my lack of knowhow. Anything would be appreciated.

Gotcha
Petty Officer

Post by Gotcha » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:44 am

Gone Fishin wrote:I am real familiar with Newman and Silver and the tackle for each lake varies greatly.
What would be good on each lake? I'm beggin' here... help me out.

muskie guy
Petty Officer

Post by muskie guy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:35 pm

I've spent a few years fishing these striped, steriod perch of Eastern Washington. Here are a few things I've noticed during my time on the water:
In April, the vast majority of tigers I have caught in Silver and Newman are still related to what will later become the deep weed edge. That is too say, the outside drop-off into deeper water. They are here for a couple reasons, and you've got to take into account the weather to figure where they "go from there". Warm, stable weather will move them into the shallow areas looking for the warmest water and greening vegetation that is producing oxygen. Cold, crummy weather will turn them off and can push them deeper, where they hold to the bottom. I find the crappies this time of year. The tigers are feeding and the crappies are making the same daily movements. In fact this is the only time of the year I'll do some trolling to locate schools of crappie. Up at Curlew, you'll be looking for the perch, trout and suckers that move in the same manner. Warm weather, up and in. Cold weather, down and out.
That's a really simplified version. Of course, as many will likely tell you, there are many additional factors to consider. I always think about what the last 2 days of weather has been doing. Which way has the wind been blowing? Why? It pushes warmer surface water into a predictable area of the lake, which concentrates little things other bite sized fish eat, attracting warm water seeking and hungry musky. Moon phase? Not enough space here but worth consideration always. Water clarity? Dark water warms faster so I see Newman produce larger fish before Silver. A warm big fish needs to eat more often than a cold big fish. Sunny days with cold spring water temps? Docks and other such things absorb solar energy and release heat into surrounding water while providing the always important cover. It goes on and on....
Go smaller in the spring. A small musky lure, is what most people would call a large bass lure I'm guessing. I start with natural patterns and go from there based on water clarity. Don't get me wrong here, I use pupose built, small musky lures. Bass lures have small gauge wire hooks and they straighten out easily. And I throw them on a rod that will ensure the correct action I want. I don't throw a 1 oz. crankbait on a rod designed for 5 - 12 oz. jerkbaits. 7 and 7-1/2 foot rods, 1- 3 oz. rating and 50 lb. power pro with a good quality leader (like the ones made by Charlie Runyon on e-bay or Terminator) are my spring time set-ups. This is what I consider a "stealthy" set-up and suitable for clear, spring time waters.
Toss lures that aren't hauling tail, work them slow and put in pauses and twitches during your retrieve. The fish are chilly and I have only had a few hot follows during these early cold days of the year. So slow it down for the most part, but always finish working a spot over with at least one burned in retrieve because you just never know.
Spring favorites are always subject to change. Last years favorites will be this years...until they get replaced by the "new" this years. Its easier just to say use multiple poles: One lure that moves relatively quick to search for active feeders (like a small in-line bucktail). One that moves at a medium speed but can stop and suspend to entice a strike from a moody fish (like a 6" Jake). One lure that can work along the bottom slowly and move through cover easily (like a musky candy spinnerbait). Using this sort of spread will help you determine what pattern the fish are attracted to that day, and every day. It works for me.
The short version: Find the warmest water with greening weeds and cover when it's nice out. Fish deeper and close to bottom when it's crummy. Use smaller lures and start with a pattern that looks like whatever else is swimming around, then go the other direction.
Of course this is only the tip of the iceberg. Now that the weather will start staying warmer for longer between cold fronts the game changes, that's the fun part of this.
Remember the 50 inch rule.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shhh...my Common Sense is tingling.
Deadpool

Gotcha
Petty Officer

Post by Gotcha » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:12 pm

WOW! Excellent response! Thanks a lot man. Now I feel like I've got a decent base of information to start with as far as tiger muskie fishing goes.

Thanks again!!

Jsmooth
Petty Officer

Post by Jsmooth » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:17 pm

Thank you, lotsa good info! :cheers: I'll be back on Newman on 5/6, I'll be giving a good effort w/ this new knowledge. Thanks again for the schooling.

muskie guy
Petty Officer

Post by muskie guy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:56 pm

I went out to Silver tonight and fished the North shore line for a few hours. I caught my first for the season, woohoo! A fat 34 incher. Saw another one that spooked away when I snuck up on him. I got a great picture of my finger (cell phone expert here) when he was at boat side, just before he gave a great head-shake and quick released his self. Oh well, not bad for a few hours after a cold day. By May, the weedy areas North and South will have tiger's present and they will chase. Just got to get out there and fling them lures. Nice and slow was the ticket today with a perch swimbait.
Shhh...my Common Sense is tingling.
Deadpool

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:51 pm

I know there there is curlew lake over there:-({|= nd also the tip of the northeastern part of the state and moses lake also! :^o
Largemouth:

PB: 6 pounds

2011: 6 Pounds

Smallmouth:

PB: 5 pounds

2011: 4 lbs

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:04 pm

Very, very good information MG. THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!! Look forward to future reports/info. =d>
And thanks to Gotcha for askin' the great question!!
Thank-you,
Mav
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:48 am

Excellent information MG, I think I'll be making a pitstop by Silver on my way back from CD'A....
I'll keep you posted.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:28 am

fishingboy wrote:I know there there is curlew lake over there:-({|= nd also the tip of the northeastern part of the state and moses lake also! :^o
West Side:
Lake Tapps, near Tacoma, 2296 acres.

Mayfield Reservoir, in SW Washington near the town of Mossyrock, 2200 acres

Merwin Reservoir, in SW Washington near the town of Woodland, 4090 acres

East Side:
Newman Lake, in Eastern Washington near Spokane, 1200 acres
Silver Lake, in Eastern Washington's Spokane County, 486 acres

Evergreen Reservoir, in central Washington's Quincy Wildlife Area, near the town of

Quincy, 235 acres.

Curlew Lake, in North Central Washington near the town of Republic, 870 acres

Rozman
Petty Officer

Post by Rozman » Sat May 02, 2009 4:07 am

I have pulled two big skies out of Silver this spring. Both were caught trolling crankbaits in about 22 ft, basically the first good breakline near shallow water.
Fish and men are alike. They both get in trouble when they open their mouth!!