flounder from shore

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
big fish lite line
Commander

flounder from shore

Post by big fish lite line » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:20 pm

I was thinking i'd like to try catching flounder from shore. i've caught quite a few form a boat and I know they like baits like herring,clams,and pileworms. but when ever you fish form a boat you drift your bait along bottom and cover territory. I always thought flounder were an ambush feeder as in they stay in one spot and wait for something tastie to go by.

so what I'm getting to is does a still fishing setup work for catching flounder?
if so what is a good rig/setup?
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:flounder from shore

Post by A9 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:58 pm

big fish lite line wrote:
so what I'm getting to is does a still fishing setup work for catching flounder?
if so what is a good rig/setup?
Yes. It does work. But reel your setup in very very slowly. No special rig or anything is necessary. Just some weight to get it out there, a hook with a piece of herring and cast it to where the flounder are...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

fishndude
Petty Officer

Post by fishndude » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 pm

Last summer, I could not keep the flounder/sole off my line pier fishing. I was using a drop-shot rig with a nightcrawler. I tried shrimp/squid, but the nightcrawlers worked the best. When I used shrimp/squid, I'd only catch ratfish or bullhead. I heard pileworms and clams work great too.

Keep your nightcrawler a foot above your sinker. All you need is a quarter of a worm. Cast it out there, tighten your line, and wait. I'm sure there are other great methods too but this one has always worked for me.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:49 pm

I used to fish a lot along Pier 90 in Seattle. That is where we would tie up our tugs. You might try fishing all along the shore at high tide across from Pier 90. It is a public park access and jogging trail that hooks up to the waterfront park. The bottom is sandy all along Pier 90. The deepest area is just out 30 to 40 feet off the pier. Pretty easy cast from the beach. Good place to checkout when we have an extreme low tide. You can make note of any places that you might get hung up. The fishing for flounder is pretty good at times all the way up the waterway to the Foss "T" Pier. Beyond that there is lot's of junk on the bottom.

Good luck. Tight lines that wiggle! Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

kayak chris
Petty Officer

Post by kayak chris » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:04 am

Flounder are ambush fish. They look up for food. When I want flounder for a fry, I tie on a Road Runner with soft plastic grub and smelly jelly. I absolutely slay them on a slow dragging retrieve.

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:29 pm

[quote="fishndude"]Last summer, I could not keep the flounder/sole off my line pier fishing. I was using a drop-shot rig with a nightcrawler. I tried shrimp/squid, but the nightcrawlers worked the best. When I used shrimp/squid, I'd only catch ratfish or bullhead. I heard pileworms and clams work great too.

BULLHEAD!!!
Clam Man

"____________"

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:13 pm

Weigt on the bottom with two snelled hooks with a herring piece or clam cast off the shore off Camano near the park always produces flounder.Also Faye Bainbridge area . good luck
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.