Home made lures??

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Home made lures??

Post by Toni » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:25 pm

blufin loui asked to see my home made lures as a comment on the Bradley Lake report. I can not figure out how to email pictures from this site.
Here are the lures. Also 3 flies I tied.
Attachments
FLIES_004_resize.jpg
FLIES_004_resize.jpg (101.52 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
lures_resize_082.jpg
lures_resize_082.jpg (79.64 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

RE:Home made lures??

Post by blufin loui » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:37 pm

Hi ya toni, thanks for the effort and sharing your "craftiness". I bet you get to stretch some line with those. And that olive wooly bugger, Man I have yanked lots of crappie out of roses with an almost identical bugger. Have ya ever considered putting some (small amount) of maribou, or wrapped hackle on those single hooks??? I used to have good luck putting a "matching" hackle or maribou on the hook of a spinner. Good work, and like some of the other folks here, keep on experimenting. Can't wait to read your success stories.
Keep a tight line and sharp hooks.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:58 pm

I went to a class to tie the flies. They told me what to put where. So, blufin loui, I have never thought about what to put on a hook because I don't know what the stuff you were talking about is. :dj:
I would like to learn 'cause it was a blast doing it. I just bought some saddle hackle that was on sale. I have some deer hair too. That is it, besides the vise, bobbin, and scissors.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:04 pm

Pretty nice stuff you have there Toni! Good Job!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

tommytitan08
Lieutenant

Post by tommytitan08 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Nice lures Toni, looks like you have a few rod benders there!
" It is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6 "

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:44 pm

now the fun really begins. since you got the tools to do some tying, pick up new feathers and fur and google jigs and flies... you will have a million patterns to tie.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:54 pm

I'm glad to hear ya enjoy tying. Put one of the hooks in your vice, wind thread from eye to bend. Tie a hackle, tip end, at the bend of hook then wind thread back up to the eye.Now wind the hackle up to the eye and tie off. If you use a red, yellow, or green thread, it will make a nice contrast. Hey Toni, shoot me a PM with your address, I got some tying stuff I will share with ya. One thing I enjoy about tying is the experimentation, then going out and catching a fish with it. Keep up the tying.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:09 am

Looking good there Toni. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. They look like great lures...Love those sickle hooks!

Keep up the great work on the lure building....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:14 am

A9 wrote:...Love those sickle hooks!

Keep up the great work on the lure building....
A while ago (years) I bought a packet of of close out hooks. They ended up being the sharpest hooks I have ever had. Matzuo (I think the spelling is right). I found them online and now that is almost all I use.
I have a hard time sharping hooks to get them sharp.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:00 am

All but 2 of the lures were made to use in the rivers for salmon. The 2 that look blue are actually dark purple and I made to fish the Skookumchuck. Then they closed the river so they will have to wait. The all silver one I had a larger model which I caught 9 inch trout on (planter). I know it will catch something. I also have wedding rings that I have made that I didn't put on view.

I made some mepps type lures that I tried out but the blade wouldn't spin. I might have used the wrong type of blade.

I did this to save money on losing lures. Then I ended up spending LOTS to get the proper components.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:49 am

Nce job Toni...I use a green whooly alot and I have found that by adding a small fly about 4 to 6 inches behind it works really well. The type of fly is your choice anything will work well. a small # 18 to 20 nymph is my choice, placed on a 4lb test fluorocarbon.If you want to try a Olive Baetis # 12 0r 18, a Mayfly nymph works well also. Your spinners look like they will work well. Do you add some flash to them or eggs, feathers etc? Have a good Spring, Steve
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:36 pm

fishing collector wrote: Your spinners look like they will work well. Do you add some flash to them or eggs, feathers etc? Have a good Spring, Steve
I haven't put anything on them. I don't have any colored tubing. I could put that on the hooks. I have red beads on four of them and one has green tape on it. It is the one on the right.
Otherwise they are fished as you see them.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Toni and this will be not what you want but will be what you need!

None to be critical I fished spinners for 3 years straight nothing else coming up

The flys the correct things to finish were told to you.:-$

1st any hand work I really think is swell:-$ :cheers: GREAT JOB!!! but much of this is the brotherhood of feel good stuff not getting it done and any and each can flame away but I care you hook more fish not feel good!:chef:

Spinners are not correct in most the spinner is two things and maybe 4

Reflexion of the Blade Spinning and the correct colors to create just that and flat blue will do neither.

Your Split Rings are much too big for the size of spinners posted and will impact and slow the hook action.

Spinner blades are for grabbing light or chasing colors of waters your pressing and masking.

Then you add Vibration and yes it helps hook more fish!!!
Scent and bait as well!:chef:

Then The colors of the hooks to match the hatch of the body of the spinner very important and most over= looked
Hooks and colors mucho grande:chef:

Then the angler who casts the gear and knows the flows and when to change speeds coming back in from the casts and when to slow down and let the spinner make contact with the bottom and then pick it up for a Bang! Fish ON!

Even trolling the spinner out of a tub all these examples make more fish!

These are examples for colors and blades for many waters and yes I just put the correct hooks on them to create more strikes

As I said hand work is Awesome:cheers: but a trail of terminal hardware that creates more fish for you and to understand why some spinners like some anglers catch more fish.

The chrome, brass and green would work above in many waters

God Bless Fish ON!

Not one drop is to Slam Toni Mark but to help her understand that little changes Create Magic/more fish better applications from helping and I said Great Job:-$ on any hand work I wish I had 2 that worked full time!:cheers:
Attachments
B.jpg
B.jpg (103.16 KiB) Viewed 3794 times
aqwsw.jpg
aqwsw.jpg (94.24 KiB) Viewed 3794 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:11 pm

Hello Mr Sweede, good to see ya posting, Are ya up and about. Once again you're spot on, on several levels. I hadn't considered (I overlook lots of important detail) the action affect the oversized split rings would have on the hook movement, but can now see the light. Most of my hooks are red in color, so I need to try matching body and hook colors. Got a question for ya Sweede. Have you written or published any books detailing your vast collection of fishing experience and knowledge. I sure would be interested in seeing such. If you haven't, would you consider doing so. There are pros out there who would do the actual writing if you supply the material. Life is a journey of learning, and I for one feel you have alot to offerto those of us with less than vast knoweledge, and if the collective knoweledge of your years pursuing the finned species were in the written form, Sweede Bionics would be passed on to any who is able to read. Granted, not all who read will understand, but the potential is out there. Keep up the good fight, and look forward to your posts.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:24 pm

Let's keep this conversation on it's original track, please. Nice Job, Toni

Toni wrote:blufin loui asked to see my home made lures as a comment on the Bradley Lake report. I can not figure out how to email pictures from this site.
Here are the lures. Also 3 flies I tied.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Will Do Marc, Please feel free to erase my last post as it did only contain a small amout of input for Toni's lure making. Thanks for your time and efforts at keeping things going in the right dirrection. TONI, in the package of stuff on it's way is some Emu feathers that will make very good hook dressings. Please post a pic of the new and improved Toni's Custom Spinners. Tie lots.

DougShields.com
Petty Officer

Post by DougShields.com » Sat May 02, 2009 2:53 pm

Isn't the topic "Home Made Lures??" I think I was enjoying the direction and information...

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Sun May 03, 2009 5:27 pm

DougShields.com wrote:Isn't the topic "Home Made Lures??" I think I was enjoying the direction and information...
swede knows his stuff:-" :bom:
fish on!

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sun May 03, 2009 7:05 pm

I want to make a short point for Toni who I think is swell!:-$

A system to help and support by providing gifts from doing and catching more and many to a person, kid, elder or young lady I will provide to shorten her learning curve and explain why.:study:

Not one example of words or pictures was to bust her chops or anyones for that matter[-(

It was to provide her and others of examples about Reflexions of the blades, colored hooks to match the hatch bodies:thumleft: and to make sure her split rings did not impact her Hooks![-x

I customized each and all I press and I am of blessed fading vision and fast.

To provide that vision from doing is a gift nothing more nothing less and Toni I have a dandy at 9am tomorrow](*,) 8-[

After that and some more gutting it out if you want a monster Summer King Or Coho salt waters fresh, sporting sealice local I will make that your reality not a dream as one thing I do is Finish for others :viking: 8-[

Keep pressingo:)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 03, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougShields.com
Petty Officer

Post by DougShields.com » Sun May 03, 2009 7:25 pm

The critical post I was responding to is gone. Good stuff again. Thank you!

Return to “Hardware How-to's and Swap Event”