Pike seminar and PO river tournament updates.

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
KUP
Commander

RE:Pike seminar and PO river tournament updates.

Post by KUP » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:33 am

Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:47 am

Gone Fishin,
I was right about the spawn being late is what I was talking about. As for what I can and can't put on the forum, I can do what ever I want. This is a place to say what you want and when you want to. If you don't want to deal with it, use your own website. This site was never meant to be only for who is in the tourney, it is for everybody.

Deal with it! I am entitled to my opinion as much as you, the WDFW and the rest of the fshiermen out there!

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:06 pm

Come on you guys. I that there our others out there with an opinion besides Keith and I. I would like to hear what others think? If you think I should shut my mouth that is fine too. I just would like others to put in there two cents so we can get it out on the table.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:25 pm

tollefs wrote:Gone Fishin,
I was right about the spawn being late is what I was talking about. As for what I can and can't put on the forum, I can do what ever I want. This is a place to say what you want and when you want to. If you don't want to deal with it, use your own website. This site was never meant to be only for who is in the tourney, it is for everybody.

Deal with it! I am entitled to my opinion as much as you, the WDFW and the rest of the fshiermen out there!
Well, actually, no you can't do whatever you want whenever you want. There is a difference between having a difference of opinion and respectfully stating it, and being rude. You're teetering on the edge. Cool the obnoxious attitude.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:26 pm

"tollefs wrote:
Gone Fishin,

Deal with it! I am entitled to my opinion as much as you, the WDFW and the rest of the fshiermen out there!"

Well, actually, no you can't do whatever you want whenever you want. There is a difference between having a difference of opinion and respectfully stating it, and being rude. You're teetering on the edge. Cool the obnoxious attitude.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:39 pm

Tollefs, I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion. At first I thought it was great to see anothers opinion even if it was against mine. I just don't think everyone wants to read our continued dissagreement about this. That is why I asked you to PM me so we could talk it out that way. To express an opinion is one thing. Arguing is something else and I don't mind a good arguement, but in a public forum isnt always the best place for it.

Trying to tell me that you are right and I am wrong is no way to try and get your point across to me. I have consulted just about every possible reliable source on the matter, not just a book I read. I have spoke with many of the biologists from WDFW; the Spokane region and Bruce Bolding the head of the warm water program. I have spoke with the Kalispel tribe biologists, who have not funded the studies up there like you stated in an earlier post but have aided WDFW in WDFW studies. I have also talked with pike clubs and pike fisherman from Washington, Idaho and Montana. I have not found any objection to a catch and release tournament this time of year except from you. If you are so worried about it you should look up other tournaments this time of year and state your case against the dead fish they have because catch and release is optional.

Maybe if I had spent less time researching every aspect of this and other things I would have spent more time gettting the flyers made and posted and actually got things set up ahead of time.... Next year I will have this part covered. The tournament is going to happen even if there are only a handful of boats fishing it. Being the first year the big hurdles were setting it up. Next year I can tackle the filling it part. Next year I will also probably accept the help that has been offered to me by many of you! Thank you again.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:33 am

Mike Carey wrote:"tollefs wrote:
Gone Fishin,

Deal with it! I am entitled to my opinion as much as you, the WDFW and the rest of the fshiermen out there!"

Mike,
Point taken and since this is your site I will respect your comments. I apoligize to anyone that I might have offended.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:58 am

[quote="Gone Fishin"]Tollefs, I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion. At first I thought it was great to see anothers opinion even if it was against mine. I just don't think everyone wants to read our continued dissagreement about this. That is why I asked you to PM me so we could talk it out that way. To express an opinion is one thing. Arguing is something else and I don't mind a good arguement, but in a public forum isnt always the best place for it.

Trying to tell me that you are right and I am wrong is no way to try and get your point across to me. I have consulted just about every possible reliable source on the matter, not just a book I read. I have spoke with many of the biologists from WDFW]

Good point, all I do is read. I never fish or talk to the WDFW. Glad you pointed that out.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:23 am

Gone Fishin,
I think you have done a fine job of setting this tournament up.
Its not as easy as some think, there are many things to concider and my hat is off to you.
There is one question that I would like to ask as I have not read anything about it on the forum.
As we both know there are many sloughs on the Pend Orellie.
Do you have a way to let the folks know whitch ones are on the Reservation?
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:14 pm

Thank you Yellowbear.
I have a map that I will show everybody the off limit areas on. It only includes kalispel creek on the west side of the river and an entire stretch of the east side of the river going from just upriver from rivers bend to just upriver from the bridge at usk. That area will be off limits for the tourney even with a tribal permit.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:44 pm

I happen to agree solidly with tollefs on this one. I have PM'd GF with those sentiments, trying to keep the peace. I was, at first, planning on coming, now I am not. But others from CH 57 are. That's fine, it's their business. To each his own.

I don't like to fish during the spawn. Any spawn. It's just fishing etiquette. I like to leave mother nature alone when that is happening. Call me funny, I just won't do it.
Yes, even if the system has probably too many pike and there is a threat of stunts.
Why not let the big, fat sleek girls spawn in peace and not disturb those genetics?
Picking them up, disturbing eggs in the habitat... It seems hap hazard to me to go after all fish when you want to cull out only the smaller ones anyway.
I am not a biologist. I don't know all the scientific data.
I am saying, it is my opinion that I am not comfortable fishing during a spawn.
I want there to be a great pike fishery some day and I don't think this kind of action helps that.
No one has to agree with me. It won't bother me at all.
The fish, come first. Before tournaments, before business, before $$.

Read this: http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles ... s/let8.txt

Read This: http://www.boundarywaterscanoearea.com/ ... elease.htm

Spawning: Pike spawn during March and April in the shallow weedy margins of lakes and in the tiny overgrown backwaters of rivers. Male pike tend to arrive at the spawning sites a few days before the females and jockey for the best positions on the edges of the weed beds. When the females arrive they rest up in deeper water until conditions are perfect for spawning. The much larger females make their way up the marginal slope into shallow water attracting a number of small males. The males follow the female into shallow water where spawning can take place in water less than 15 centimetres deep. In large lakes pike will often spawn on grass that has been inundated by high water levels. By spawning on this temporary habitat the eggs are relatively safe from predatory invertebrates and receive the full force of the warmth of the sun.

Male pike rarely reach a weight of more than eight pounds. All large pike are females. As female pike may contain several hundred thousand eggs; their large size is essential to store such a huge mass. Even so, the eggs may account for 25% of the weight of the fish during the Spring period
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows

Morpheous
Petty Officer

Post by Morpheous » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:08 am

Why is this such an issue with Pike? I dont see this happening in the BASS world.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:32 am

I think it has to do with very limited waters. Example-bass are typically found in "almost" all
freshwater lakes and some rivers,where as pike are only found in Long Lake and the Pend Oreille River..
and for a short while,Crocker Lake in Jefferson County. With such limited locations,I can understand
the importance of C&R.

Morpheous
Petty Officer

Post by Morpheous » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:44 am

Agreed on the C&R thing. Doesnt SPAWN last a few weeks? Some people are saying NO FISHING durring that time period.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:06 am

Pike typically spawn/or at least drop eggs when the water temps hit between 40-45 degrees,dropping
their eggs from as shallow as 6inches to 3 or so feet of water. As for the length of spawning time...depends
on a variety of conditions such as changing weather patterns(water temp change) It isn't unusual for
a spawn to begin,then a coldfront to blast through...and the fish cease spawn,then to start again when the temps
rise again. So the length of time could be 2 weeks to a month,maybe more....In all honesty....I really
don't know for sure. I've fished pike for many years,much,much longer than tigers. Most of
my knowledge comes from some experiences,other pike anglers and sometimes books(yeah..I'm pretty dorky)

As for folks fishing the spawn...Big grey area on that. I suppose if I lived much closer to the Pend
and got to fish pike on a more regular basis,then I'd leave it alone and wait after the spawn...but
if I was passing through,I'd more than likely wet a line but C&R anything caught.
Thats just me....

Morpheous
Petty Officer

Post by Morpheous » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:02 am

kevinb wrote:Pike typically spawn/or at least drop eggs when the water temps hit between 40-45 degrees,dropping
their eggs from as shallow as 6inches to 3 or so feet of water. As for the length of spawning time...depends
on a variety of conditions such as changing weather patterns(water temp change) It isn't unusual for
a spawn to begin,then a coldfront to blast through...and the fish cease spawn,then to start again when the temps
rise again. So the length of time could be 2 weeks to a month,maybe more....In all honesty....I really
don't know for sure. I've fished pike for many years,much,much longer than tigers. Most of
my knowledge comes from some experiences,other pike anglers and sometimes books(yeah..I'm pretty dorky)

As for folks fishing the spawn...Big grey area on that. I suppose if I lived much closer to the Pend
and got to fish pike on a more regular basis,then I'd leave it alone and wait after the spawn...but
if I was passing through,I'd more than likely wet a line but C&R anything caught.
Thats just me....
Good information, Thanks. You a biologist or something? WDFW?

Im looking at your signature block, Cascade Musky Association, CMA Director? Whats that all about? You must be one of the Muskie pros here.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:48 am

Pro?.....no,not even close...unless you want to count follows

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:19 pm

I respect and understand where KUP and Tollefs are coming from and both bring up good and valid points. Gone Fishin has stated that he would change the regulations as necessary if pike were still in the spawn and prespawn (looks like this will be the case with the previous weather and water temps). Although, from my experience and from studies and books I have read, pike are extremely tough to catch during the spawn especially if not using dead bait (which is prohibited during the tournament). I have full confidence in Gone Fishin that he will have the best interests of the pike fishery at heart while conducting his tournament. Unless mother nature decides to increase the weather temps significantly over the next few days, I don't think many pike will be caught.