What kind of power bait...

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

What kind of power bait...

Post by Toni » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:23 pm

should I use at Bradley lake to catch the trout they planted? I am thinking about taking the grandkids there tomorrow.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Malottguy
Petty Officer

RE:What kind of power bait...

Post by Malottguy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:04 pm

My guess is to just guess. Maybe try a different color for each kid. If one works change for all. Planted rainbows aren't to picky. But experiment and maybe let each kid pick their own. I do that sometimes with kids and when they catch one with one they picked they feel like they are the best fisherperson out there at the time. It is cute LOL.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:13 pm

green glitter...or sparkle. not sure what its called exactly

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:20 pm

I let William my 2 yr. old grandson pick out 2 colors. One is green and yellow swirls with glitter and the other is fl. red. It has been my experience that if I use power bait I never have the right color.
Thank you for your answers.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:29 pm

The colors I use tend to be chartreuse, yellow (beige), or rainbow.

I like chartreuse the best because it seems to have a stickier texture than the other colors, and so stays on the hook better than others. But quite frankly, the fish don't care. They just need to see your bait (your bait has to float).

No matter what color you use, just make sure that it floats or that you use enough bait to float the hook. I bought same large jars of chartreuse with glitter a couple years ago (clearance price). But for some reason, that bait did not float.

To get it to float, I pegged a couple of small styrofoam balls on/above the hook, and then molded the non-floating power bait over the styrofoam balls.

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:23 am

ive always used yellow/ chartreuse exclusively, make sure u cover the hook completely
fish on!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:10 am

The plants might also be near the surface so long leaders might help. I know this is late. I hope you all limited. :)

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:27 am

Dave wrote:The plants might also be near the surface so long leaders might help. I know this is late. I hope you all limited. :)
Not Late. I get off work at 5:15pm so we will fish this evening if the rain lets up. We won't be there long. Can't have a 2-3 yr. old get bored.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:36 am

I would try chartreuse with 6' of leader for some rigs and a good old fashioned bobber and worm (with a little corn scent) for the other.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:29 am

I made the switch to the power eggs they are a whole lot easier and go better with a night crawler. In every lake I fish a floated night crawler with a pink or yellow (they call it yellow but it looks like a bright green)egg catches fish.(last night my son was doing well in a HIGH mountain lake with the worm egg combo). Even by them selves the eggs work well and you can catch multiple fish on a single baiting. I don't remember but I think 3 or 4 eggs floats a size 6 hook . The other benefit is you can use bigger hooks and the swallow rate drops but beware it doesn't go away.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

fishcreekspinners
Lieutenant

Post by fishcreekspinners » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:24 pm

Here's something to try with your grandkids, depending on their age, take them out to catch night crawlers with a flashlight! Warm summer night, dew or earlier rain. Awesome fun!

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/20 ... n-of-worms

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:31 pm

John - here in the Pacific NW warm summer nights would be 2 weeks in August. :bball:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Mike Carey wrote:John - here in the Pacific NW warm summer nights would be 2 weeks in August. :bball:
Maybe!:compress:

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 pm

fishcreekspinners wrote:Here's something to try with your grandkids, depending on their age, take them out to catch night crawlers with a flashlight! Warm summer night, dew or earlier rain. Awesome fun!

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/20 ... n-of-worms
Thank you that was interesting and we might try it. I grow worms (not nightcrawlers) in a lg. styrofoam container. They are good sized right now after the winter. not big like a 'crawler.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishcreekspinners
Lieutenant

Post by fishcreekspinners » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:06 am

Probably doesn't need to be that warm and it is fun for the kids!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:03 pm

fishcreekspinners wrote:Probably doesn't need to be that warm and it is fun for the kids!
I think Mike is having a little tongue in cheek action. In Spokane, I would never consider buying night crawlers during the summer, they live in my back yard.#-o

I still have some crawler caller I mix into a 30 gallon garbage can, dump it on the lawn, pick up my bait, and drive on.:compress:

Of course, maybe Mike is right this year, we are still 10 degrees below normal, and they call this global warming.:-&
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:, and they call this global warming.:-&
The actual term is climate change now because too many people don't understand because it is colder some places that the earth in a whole is actually warming :-" Like there it has snowed and been colder but here in Wyoming at 7,200' we have had half as much snow as usual and most lakes are half the size as they should be. :-& The ice caps are still melting at a very very high rate of speed so don't fool your self:clown:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:44 pm

I'm a fan of PowerEggs. Less messy and to me, seems just as effective.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:46 pm

I have also graduated to the power eggs for the reasons mentioned above.