Exotic Weeds, does the State really want to stop the spread, or is it just politics?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Anglinarcher
Admiral

Exotic Weeds, does the State really want to stop the spread, or is it just politics?

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:11 pm

I was wondering the other day. Does the State really want to stop the spread of Exotic weeds?

Now think about this for a minute.

Washington is doing the exact same thing, telling us to remove all weeds from our gear when we leave a lake, that has failed other States already. Every duck and goose caries weed fragments, and never do they "wash their boats". Have you ever removed every weed from your boat trailer, launched your boat, then while parking your boat trailer discovered a piece of weed that was trapped between the bunk and the boat (often quite damp and viable)?

When Millfoil was just getting started in Elokia Lake the state had a chance to kill it. They did not. Now I find Millfoil in dozens of colonies around the lake. Only a complet kill out of the lake weeds would get it now.

Down stream from Elokia you have Long Lake, and it too has Millfoil now. From Long Lake you have access to the Columbia Drainage. With the Columbia Drainage, you have one of the largest populations of ducks and geese in the world.

In short, are the "remove all weeds" signs just to tell us something to make the politicians look like they are doing something? Does it really matter if I don't spend a half hour cleaning off the weeds from my boat trailer, when in the end it won't matter anyway?

Now don't get me wrong, I am not advocating anything right now. Just asking the questions and looking for opinions.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

jmay
Lieutenant

RE:Exotic Weeds, does the State really want to stop the spread, or is it just politics?

Post by jmay » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:48 pm

I posted the same issue 3 weeks ago and was pounded that I hated my State and should leave. In anycase I agree signs do nothing at all, and the WDFW has done nothing to prevent the spead of Milfoil.

Last weekend at the Kettle Falls boat launch to Lake Roosevelt a WDFW employee asked me if I had time to take a survey (I have a lot of opinions and always have time). His questions where in regards to zebra mussles, which are not here yet and milfoil. He wanted to know where my boat had been this year, how many days on the water and if I ever cleaned it.

After the questions were done I comments that while fishing in Idaho eariler this month the launch had a "washing station" where you washed your trailer and boat prior to launching. I asked if WDFW had ever thought of that. He stated "Yes" but the fear or the department was "the pumps and equipment would be stolen in short order." Personally I think that is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. You would have to have a lot of time and equipment to steal a submersible pump

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Exotic Weeds, does the State really want to stop the spread, or is it just politics?

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:18 pm

Right on JMay! I gave them the same story when they aproached me at a ramp. Washdown when you leave may be more effective as you'll leave what you pulled out to of the lake behind. Mines always scrubbed and the trailer too, between trips. Just say no to cross contamination.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:18 pm

lol at they would steal the stuff, I'm sure nobody would be that desperate to steal that stuff and if they had it embedded somehow kind of like the cleaning station at potholes in the state park they wouldn't be able to do this.

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:04 pm

Does anyone know what kind of solutions WDFW currently uses to manage or rehabilitate lakes that have milfoil growing in them?
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:21 pm

Every time my boat comes out of the water I clean it really well. I scrub the entire thing down vacuum the whole 9. Even my little aluminum gets the treatment. Its not really for the spreading of exotic plants/animals, but a clean ship is a happy ship LOL. It probably wont matter if one person doesnt clean there boat and spread whatever plant into a different lake, but I look at it like littering. If one person were to through a cigarette but or a beer can out the window, it really wouldn matter, nor would it hurt the environment. But if everyone has that same attitude, then the final result would be a a heavily littered freeway. I know how many ignorant people there are out there so I dont do either of those things. My cigarette but, pop can, or milfoil wont kill the lake or roadways, but the lakes and roadways will be a lot better off if I did the right thing

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:59 pm

bigastrout wrote:Does anyone know what kind of solutions WDFW currently uses to manage or rehabilitate lakes that have milfoil growing in them?
Rehabilitate a lake with milfoil? Not in Washington State. Idaho is currently trying to do some 2,4,D treatments and water level treatments, but only time will tell.

Most states either use 2,4,D on Milfoil, of just give up.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:04 am

Here is my latest point. Liberty Lake in Eastern Washington has pond weed, some spaterdock, but it was claimed that it did not have milfoil.

It does now. I found a patch on the South-West end, a long distance from any boat ramp. It did not get their from boats, so either it was a bird transplant, or ............

Are we fighting a loosing battle, and if so, why is the State making such a big deal with their signs.

Hauser Lake in Idaho has the "pre-wash" site before you go into the water. With so many near-by lakes having milfoil now, only time will tell if the idea works.

As for the signs, all states have tried that. It is said that the defination of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result. Other states have tried the signs, all have failed.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:11 am

I believe there is some low key 2-4-D'ing going on in Washington as well. An aquaintance that lives north of Spokane was posting about it on another forum. They did the lake where his folks live, quite effective.
I guess the criteria is moving water. They pour it in the feeding stream, creek, river and check for concentration at the outflow. I'm sure it has to do with flow but they posted to keep out of the lake for forty eight hours. They say it doesn't kill many fish. I we'll have to wait and see how many "blinkies" we get.
2-4-D is the commercial name for agent orange. I'm sure some of you are quite aquainted with the stuff.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:18 pm

Bodofish wrote:I believe there is some low key 2-4-D'ing going on in Washington as well. An aquaintance that lives north of Spokane was posting about it on another forum. They did the lake where his folks live, quite effective.
I guess the criteria is moving water. They pour it in the feeding stream, creek, river and check for concentration at the outflow. I'm sure it has to do with flow but they posted to keep out of the lake for forty eight hours. They say it doesn't kill many fish. I we'll have to wait and see how many "blinkies" we get.
2-4-D is the commercial name for agent orange. I'm sure some of you are quite aquainted with the stuff.
Agent Orange is not 2,4-D. It had many of the same ingredients, but it is not the same. Also, it was many many times stronger.

The EPA has prohibited Agent Orange, but has just recently re-certified 2,4-D.

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:14 am

If 2-4-D needs moving water, it would work well in Liberty and Newman lake but putting it in Liberty Creek and Thompson creek and letting in migrate throw the lake.

I lived in Califonia's Eastern Washington Annex aka Liberty Lake for 6 years I know the L Lake sewer and water district was working on it

The following quote is from the Sewer District: http://www.libertylake.org/Milfoil.htm

"Eurasian watermilfoil has been spreading throughout Liberty Lakes’ perimeter since it was first discovered in 1995. Removal was controlled by divers until 1997, when the infestation became to great to handle, then Aqua-Kleen® Granular 2,4-D became the primary treatment. Each spring, aquatic weed diving surveys are conducted by Clearwater Scuba, L.L.C. and the LLSWD to evaluate potential growth and effective treatment. 2,4-D treatments have occurred since 1998 in northern and southern sections of the lake where the infestation remains in the shallow shoreline areas of approximately 1 to 3 meters in depth"

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:38 am

bigastrout wrote:Does anyone know what kind of solutions WDFW currently uses to manage or rehabilitate lakes that have milfoil growing in them?
Supposedly reducing milfoil growth is one of the reasons that they still draw down Lake Tapps each fall even though the power plant is shut down. But that's PSE and not WDFW.

"If fall precipitation is relatively normal, the PSE-owned reservoir's water level should drop by about a foot per week. It should take PSE about four months to lower the reservoir by the desired 16 to 17 feet. The traditional wintertime drawdown is designed to hinder the growth of milfoil in the lake's shallower areas, help freshen the lake's water quality, and make it easier for property owners around the reservoir to maintain or repair boat docks."
source
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

columbiafan04
Petty Officer

Post by columbiafan04 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:44 am

I am a Natural Resource major graduating next year from the University of Minnesota-Crookston. We have studied the spread of noxious weeds from lakes to lakes and I can tell you that politics plays a HUGE role in the ordeal. However, it is proven that removing weeds from trailers, boats, props, gear, and waders drastically reduces the chance of spreading noxious weeds. Those signs are there for a reason. Granted we, as wildlife biologists, can not stop the spread 100%, but we can do our best to slow it.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:13 am

columbiafan04 wrote:I am a Natural Resource major graduating next year from the University of Minnesota-Crookston. We have studied the spread of noxious weeds from lakes to lakes and I can tell you that politics plays a HUGE role in the ordeal. However, it is proven that removing weeds from trailers, boats, props, gear, and waders drastically reduces the chance of spreading noxious weeds. Those signs are there for a reason. Granted we, as wildlife biologists, can not stop the spread 100%, but we can do our best to slow it.
Now I have a bite, let's see if I can set the hook.

Are your opinions above factual, or is this the result of the "cool-aid" you are forced to drink in class? Do you still have the ability to think for yourself? My three children have complained a great deal about the liberal bias in the "American University System".

Are the results you give assumptions, or do you have case studies to back them up?

Are there better options than placing signs that our Russian and Spanish speaking friends don't/can/t read?