Buying new boat - Have many questions

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

RE:Buying new boat - Have many questions

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:31 pm

Ok... I had imagined that those would be the answers, not more questions. Like in my case, motor... trailer.. no idea till I know what kind of boat I want, same with size... I didnt know till I started asking the questions. I think this template will be designed to come up with those items. If you already know so much about what you want.. down to the trailer type, what would you be in this forum looking for anyway?? :)
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:34 pm

Aaron wrote:Ok... I had imagined that those would be the answers, not more questions. Like in my case, motor... trailer.. no idea till I know what kind of boat I want, same with size... I didnt know till I started asking the questions. I think this template will be designed to come up with those items. If you already know so much about what you want.. down to the trailer type, what would you be in this forum looking for anyway?? :)
Hmmm. Interesting take.
I'm just trying to add a few more items of "criteria" to compliment that list you put together....

I'm on the market for a new boat too...Trying to figure it all out, although I'm pretty sure the direction I'm going...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Yeah... maybe we need 2 templates? Advanced, for people that "mostly" know what they want and just need some input, and a "Starter" template for those that have never bought a boat before and need to start with the basic needs and find out where it leads them?
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:53 pm

Aaron wrote:Yeah... maybe we need 2 templates? Advanced, for people that "mostly" know what they want and just need some input, and a "Starter" template for those that have never bought a boat before and need to start with the basic needs and find out where it leads them?
Not sure. Not a bad idea though...

All I know buying a boat is a difficult and often confusing task:scratch:

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:12 pm

After our discussions, I've found:

I want a 20' boat, on a trailer with surge brakes, that my rig can handle up to 5500lbs with the right hitch and the 20' boat and trailer will be about half of that, a TR-1 is a great way to go if you don't mind dropping $3000 (which more and more I'm thinking I do mind).
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:18 pm

Aaron wrote:After our discussions, I've found:

I want a 20' boat, on a trailer with surge brakes, that my rig can handle up to 5500lbs with the right hitch and the 20' boat and trailer will be about half of that, a TR-1 is a great way to go if you don't mind dropping $3000 (which more and more I'm thinking I do mind).
Looks like you'll be sporting a pretty sweet ride in the near future.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:28 pm

I hope so. I've had a pretty hard time sleeping since I caught the boat bug.

Here's another question I haven't asked yet. Can you expect to haggle much during a boat deal? How easy is it to get them to lower the prices? Is it easy to get a dealer to throw in vests, anchor, fire extinguisher... things like that...
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:37 pm

First on pumps:

Outboard jets are inefficient because they move water vertically, then throw it into a circular volute, then out the nozzle. This is effective but eats horsepower because you are asking the water to spin in a circle before it generates thrust.

Inboard jets are much more efficient because the water is moving in a linear direction. Props are more efficient below 30mph, inboard jets are more efficient between 30 and 50, then around 60mph surface piercing and supercavitating props become the ideal up to about 100mph. Complex reasoning that we can put in another thread if anyone is interested.

Okay Ill put together my template, and you can see what needs to be included or excluded.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Intended use: (what do you want to do?)

2) Load: (how many people on average? max? loaded for the day or the week?)

3) Places used: (small lakes? large lakes? rivers? shallow? open ocean?)

4) Must haves: (mileage above 3MPG? downriggers? insulated baitwells and fish boxes? weight below 5000lbs?)

5) Absolute deal killers: (too heavy to tow, don't want fixed seating, lack of windshield)

After these five are answered, add a paragraph or two about your wants and needs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think if we keep it relatively basic and just focus on things like what you can and can't tow with your truck weight wise, we don't need to sweat what type of rig it is and what it needs to have hitch wise. Its nice to add it in, but I think it muddies the issue a little when it comes to the actual boat selection. I will give an example of my needs using the above list, just to show how it works.

Aaron, you should cut and paste it, adding your answers so we can start over on this thing...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Intended use: Fishing rig part of the time and family rig all summer. Needs to be able to fish big water as well as comfortably party out on the lake.

2) Load: Must fish 3 comfortably, 4 in a pinch offshore. All 4 need seats to keep them dry in rain, big seas, and safe. Will have up to 200lbs of ice in coolers and fish boxes. 100lbs of tackle/rods/lead/nets/riggers. Approx 1000lbs live load.

3) Places used: Primarily Lake Spokane for summer partying and sunning/swimming. Seasonally offshore at Neah bay, Buoy 10, Columbia river. Will be used in bad seas up to 6-8 ft swells and 2-4 ft wind chop combined. Needs to tolerate big swells without rocking too badly or shipping green water.

4) Must haves: Must be towable by my Tacoma (trailer wt 5000lbs max). Must get 4+mpg fuel economy at peak. Must have swim step.

5) Absolute deal killers: Nothing needing more than 250hp

After these five are answered, add a paragraph or two about your wants and needs.

Id prefer something in the aluminum or cored composite construction, or single skin fiberglass if it is light enough. Prefer Carolina Sportfisher styling and a T top of some sort, but needs to be able to close up in foul weather or when cold to keep everyone warm and happy. Sleep 2 comfortably, 3 in a pinch, 4 if absolutely necessary. Prefer fish boxes, but if necessary will use kill bags on the transom.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats what I would start with, then we have a jump off point. If you want, I could put together an article on selecting boats, or do a forum section that I can moderate for boat selection and design/theory stuff.

E

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:38 pm

Haggle like a fiend. Pick a price thats at least 10% lower. If they don't meet your target, get up and walk. Walking away is a powerful tool in purchasing.

E

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:48 pm

10% huh.. that's a chunk of change right there. 10% could change the entire dynamic of the boat purchase. Would you haggle for that lower price AND expect them to toss in accessories?
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:11 pm

1) Intended use: (what do you want to do?)
I want to fish mostly inland lakes. I don't see a scenario where I would ever take the boat across the passes, or into any kind of fast moving river. It's just not my thing. I would want to pull my children on tubes, and have my wife be comfortable while riding around with us.

2) Load: (how many people on average? max? loaded for the day or the week?)
Average, 2-3, 6-7 during the summertime, and at times loaded for a family of 6 to go camping for a few days.

3) Places used: (small lakes? large lakes? rivers? shallow? open ocean?)
Small to large lakes, nothing too shallow, never on the ocean. Rivers big enough to be considered lakes, yes.

4) Must haves: (mileage above 3MPG? downriggers? insulated baitwells and fish boxes? weight below 5000lbs?)
Shade is a must for the summer on those long days when you just need a break from it, and warmth in the winter when its snowing but I still want to fish. Downriggers would be great. Seats for 6 would be great. 4 seats, 2 of them large enough for 1.5 to 2 people would suffice. 4 stroke kicker, mapping GPS sonar unit, swimming ladder, wash station

5) Absolute deal killers: (too heavy to tow, don't want fixed seating, lack of windshield)
No windshield/curtains, more than 3500lbs, inboard or outboard Jet, lack of seating options,

I want to go fishing in all weather and escape the heat/cold when needed. I want to fish local lakes, as well as larger deeper lakes. I want to be able to show my family a good time when its family time and not fishing time. Need to get min 6 people on the boat and a tube or two in the back. I need to tow it with my 04 Mercury Mountaineer that has a towing capacity of 5500lbs with the right hitch.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Alright now we are getting somewhere!

Okay, it sounds like you need to focus on boats between 18 and 22 ft long. Best bets for what you are trying to accomplish are boats with outboards or IOs between 115 and 225 hp. No true inboards and no jets. Odds are that you will want something with a moderate V so that its smooth riding. Seating can be front to back like in fiberglass runabouts or two captains chairs and 2 2 person benches aft like most fishing setups. Im guessing you will be interested in the side benches for the storage and the fishability of the boat.

Do you want bow seating? Sounds like a canvas top that folds down is the best option as well, hardtops are sweet but for tubing and summertime chillin, being able to take the top off is really nice.

Aluminum or fiberglass?

E

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:08 pm

Aluminum. All the way. I've been looking everywhere online for a 20-21ft boat with a kicker and full canvas and in great shape (i.e. mostly 2006 or newer). I'll be hitting the pavement this weekend. Anyone think it likely to actually find a GOOD deal at the bighorn show?
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:42 pm

Aaron,

You are in the right neck of the woods to purchase an aluminum boat. Between all of the manufactures in your area, someone should be able to give you a killer deal. Take your list of requirements, very similar to the ones I had, to the show and get some offers from the various dealers. Be sure to get prices that include different manufacturers. You'll find that once you identify the style and size of boat you want, there will be at least 3 makes and models that will fit the bill. I had 4 to choose from, Duckworth, Raider, Hewescraft and North River. All make great boats and were nearly identical in specifications for the size and type of boat I was after. I got my best offer on a boat setup the way I wanted from Inland Boats and Motors in Ellensburg. I did a great deal of research on these types of boats so don't let them BS you and say that their boat is a much better product than the others. They all copy one another so all you need to look for is an interior finish that best suits your needs. Storage is a key for me so I don't care for poorly laid out interiors that waste space. If you are going to have your family in the boat for a joy ride, you'll want to store your gear so that it's not in the way. I would and did opt for the longer jump/bench seats and swivel seats mounted on top of storage boxes. Also the back of the boat should have accessible storage for the full width of the transom which also makes for easy access to the bilge area. Don't forget to include the trailer in your negotiations. You'll want surge brakes, a spare tire and a tongue jack at a minimum and if storing in a garage is an option you may need a folding tongue as well.

As for models, given your criteria, I'd look at the following:

Hewescraft - 18' to 20' Searunners
Raider - 185 Pro Fisherman and 20' Sea Raider
North River 18' to 20' Seahawk
Duckworth 18' to 19' Advantage Outboards

All of these manufactures also make a model equivalent to the Hewes Sportsman series but I like the extra beam width, side height and deadrise that the above models offer. They feel and are roomier and the added side height makes me feel more comfortable when kids are in the boat.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:29 pm

Those are some great models G-Man, thanks for the info. I got sucked into the North River website big time with their virtual boat building application. They "almost" have matching colors available in paint and vinyl to match the website! I think I'm going to put together a list of my requirements and head to the show and get a quote from anyone that shows up this year. Might even be willing to go "get" the boat from a remote dealer if the price is right.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Walk at less then 20 percent $50,000 tub real money $38,500 max :-$ None are the same and run from NR there close to close there are few great metal tubs design is the key hull integrity and only a few have the $$$ needed for tappered Radius hulls they reguire $$$$ cad design system gear and most bend and use crud flat metals by bending not design and if you purchase a over build without Pre flex tech hulls metal will crack faster then most glass .
This like most is lacking from doing and knowing the differnces of a custom build to a cutter mass pushed and cheapen build
Like most if you don't know I quess it will not hurt you .
It would kill me

As far as the tow rig a (set of rear air bags), (K-N External performance air system) off injection and (performance exhaust) your in with the correct brakes on the trailer and I run only bigger rigs!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:49 pm

swedefish4life1 wrote:Walk at less then 20 percent $50,000 tub real money $38,500 max :-$ None are the same and run from NR there close to close
I thought North River was just closing its retail stores?

Don't be afraid to walk away a few times. Its a buyers market out there, so don't be afraid to lowball them and walk out a few times....

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:02 pm

Aaron wrote:10% huh.. that's a chunk of change right there. 10% could change the entire dynamic of the boat purchase. Would you haggle for that lower price AND expect them to toss in accessories?
Unfortunately there's nothing like a Edmunds.com for boats that I know of. I like the 15-20% idea and see what kind of reaction you get. And then save the "extras" as counter-offers, like "OK, 12% off but throw in ... ."

Good luck!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:48 am

NADA does do that.

E

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:47 pm

I've been doing some emailing and calling around and I'm beginning to compile a list of boats that fit some of my basic requirements. Here's what I have so far:

-------------------------------------------------
2008 Hewescraft 20' Pro-V
Green
Honda 150 4-Stroke
Honda 8hp Kicker w/electric start and power tilt
Anchor Roller
Bow Rails (welded and painted)
Honda gauge package
Hydraulic steering
Swimplatform w/ladder
Washdown pump w/hose
Dual Wipers
Swivel high back seats
Deluxe Canvas and Top Boot
Trailer with surge brakes and spare
$32,740 plus tax/license
2009 Hewescraft 20' Pro-V
White
Honda 150 4-Stroke
Honda 8hp Kicker w/electric start and power tilt
Anchor Roller
Single Wiper
Swivel high back seats
25" Transom
$35,740 plus tax/license
2009 Hewescraft 20' Pro-V
Red
Yamaha 150 4-Stroke
Yamaha 8hp Kicker w/electric start and power tilt
Anchor Roller
Bow Rails (welded and painted)
Honda gauge package
Hydraulic steering
Swimpltform w/ladder
Washdown pump w/hose
Dual Wipers
Swivel high back seats
$35,445 plus tax/license
2009 Alumaweld Blackhawk 202
White or Blue
Suzuki 140 4-Stroke
Suzuki 9.9 Kicker
Full Canvas w/side and drop curtains
Lives wells under bench seating
Full Transoms with off shore brackets
Trailer with surge brakes
$32,450 plus tax/license
2009 Harbercraft 2025 Discovery
Blue
Yamaha 150 4-Stroke
Yamaha T8 Kicker w/remote controls
Full Canvas w/side and drop curtains
Bench Seating
Fish Box in Full Transom
Full Transoms with off shore brackets
Trailer with surge brakes
$32,000 plus tax/license
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System