Reel sugestion...

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
KUP
Commander

RE:Reel sugestion...

Post by KUP » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:45 pm

Hey, Kenster, you going to Curlew in May?
Great place to stay with the family; lots of 'skis, lots of trout; good fishing for all ages.
I know you have released a big girl over there; you going to find her again?
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:33 am

2KSubaru, I will have to report to Dilbert that you are gear mongering.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:08 pm

I love the responses everyone has given on this, so my response, which was clearly late, is as follows:

I don't know what you will be casting, but a friend from Minnesota set me up for Muskies, big Pike, and oh ya, Tigers. He set me up with an Abu 6500/C5 fast retrieve. Ya, I know, most want slow, but fast has been helpful at time tossing and burning a monster spinner bait. He also set my with the Cabales HMG rod with a 1-3 oz rating (6'-6"), but I ended up getting another rod, I believe it is a St. Croix, that went up to 5 OZ (6'-3").

I toss the Manta, Suick, the Believer, and some other large baits, so I can attest that the real and rods work well together, but when a monster fish hits, I tend to loose a little of my cool anyway.

Net, I have a Monster net, but I prefer to use a cradle. If I have a partner, I teach him how to use the cradle first thing, but if I am by myself, which is most of the time I go for Tigers in WA, then the net is my only option.

I also advise that you get a pair of small bolt cutters to cut hooks out. NO, not for removing hooks from the fish, for removing hooks from YOU. Ya, done that twice now. A 40 to 50" fish can overpower you, especially if you are trying to unhook it in the water.

Just a little friendly advice. Good Luck.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Kenster
Lieutenant

Post by Kenster » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:12 pm

[quote="KUP"]Hey, Kenster, you going to Curlew in May?
Great place to stay with the family]

Kup, I will do everything in my power to make it to that side of the mountains that weekend. Is there a head count on how many members will be there yet?

Anglinarcher, I owned a nice cradle to land fish... once, until I was pulling in a beaut of a fat girl towards it while my daughter was preparing to land her and I had a flash of the lure popping out of the fish's mouth and into my daughters face!! Man I got that thing off the boat so quick. Nothing beats a nice huge net for any size fish. IMO. But if I was out with you in your neck of the woods I'd land that fish in a craddle, net or by hand!! CUIDADO!

Kenster

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:13 am

Kenster wrote:Nice to hear your stepping up this year Subaru!! So what kind/size net did you get to land that "fish or three" Tigers, that your gonna put under your belt this spring? By the way, I really don't recommend putting any Tiger under your belt... Have you seen the teeth on those things? LOL!!!!
Rumor has it he also acquired a club and a sharp fillet knife. One of Chris's fishing buddies told me to add that.#-o

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:18 am

:chef:

only kidding, of course
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:22 pm

Its true,sub has supressed anger issues and I wish he would get help and stop swinging that club around:rambo: