River Fishing Guide Suggestions

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
cmessling07
Petty Officer

River Fishing Guide Suggestions

Post by cmessling07 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:49 pm

I am looking to find a guide on a river for some steelhead/salmon fishing later this summer. Anyone have any personal experiences with a local guide that they would reccomend me contacting?

Thanks for the help

CraigVM62
Petty Officer

RE:River Fishing Guide Suggestions

Post by CraigVM62 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:50 pm

Do you have certain rivers or areas your looking to fish?

In WA I have been out with 3 different guides on the Columbia and 1 guide on the Soleduck and Quinault Rivers
though I have gone out with well over 90 different guides around the country, Canada and south of the boarder.
I normaly don't rate guides only by if you bring in fish or not. Heaven knows there are days when they just are not biteing. "unless every boat around you is limiting out early and your boat comes up without even a bite"

I do like if the guide evaluates the kind of client you are right off the bat. Some clients are really just looking for a boat ride, while others want evey aspect of the fishing experience. In that respect I have had guides set the rod up, get the bait / lure in the water, then grab it to set the hook or confirm there is a fish on. They then hand it to you to reel in for a bit. When the fish got near the boat, they then grab the rod from you to land / net the fish. No doubt they have clients that want that, but not me. I have had to tell a guide that I could have stayed home and watch someone else catch fish on TV for free. Some have stated that if they let the customer "do it all" and that customer makes a mistake loosing the fish, they will speak poorly of the guide and effect the guides reputation.
For the same reason, many guides will not let you use your own gear, even if it is comparible to the gear they provide. I enjoy having racks of gear, with each rod and reel associated with memories "hopefully of a fish caught"

The trips that I have enjoyed the most were with guides that asked questions right off the bat. They find out what kind of client you are. I let them know I want to do as much as possible, based on their suggestions. Some have taken the time to show me how to tie up bait and gear with what works best in that water for the fish we are targeting. They have no problem letting me use my own gear, as long as it is up to the task. They will talk to you letting you know what to look / feel for regarding a strike.

At the days end, I hopefully will come home with fish or having landed and released. Mostly I hope to come home with more knowledge and hands on experience.

Sorry about going on so long winded. Knowing what kind of guide your looking for might help suggesting a guide that will give you the experience your after.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmessling07
Petty Officer

Post by cmessling07 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:42 am

no need to apologize i need all the info i can get, and you definetly look to have it =)

I definetly am looking for someone who can help me. I have always been a lake and sound fisherman and never have made my way to the rivers until last year. I want them to teach me things I can take back home and try on different rivers and have results. It gets frusterating when you spend hour after hour without a fish and not having a clue what your doing wrong. So preferably someone who can teach me where to look for the fish how to approach them and let me learn myself, even if that means losing some fish.

Preferably a river in the north sound since I live in the FW area and its a lot closer than going down to the Columbia or Cowlitz, but I definetly wouldnt mind going that far to learn valuable information.

Thanks again Craig

CraigVM62
Petty Officer

Post by CraigVM62 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:51 pm

Will you be looking to pick up the tricks of the trade for river sled / drift boat fishing or when casting from the bank ?

All of the guides I have gone out with fish from boats so it was very productive learing to just copy what they do to try and get fish on the customers line. Some, such as the guides I have gone out with for oversize and keeper sturgeon, have also had good suggestions for bank fishing in the area. The one drift boat guide I went out with localy had no suggestions regarding bank fishing, He saw bank fisherman as something to be tolerated when your drifting down the same river #-o

Auburn Sport and Marina puts on a steelhead clinic each year. They have pro guides come in and talk giving tons of great information.

I have a friend I fish with a good bit who is one of those that just always seems to have the knack of catching fish, even when others are not. He has lived and fished the area his whole life and a great source for fishing info. We have talked about hitting the Green River this coming fall and your welcome to join us. The areas we will be targeting should al be within 1/2 to 3/4 of an hours drive from you.

cmessling07
Petty Officer

Post by cmessling07 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:41 pm

I definetly would be down to accompany you two for a trip. When you put it that way I guess it would seem a guide may not help too much. Most of my fishing is from the shore with the occasional boat trip with one of my buddies. Maybe I should look for someone on this board with some shore knowledge that would like to help a fellow member out haha
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:09 pm

You are all the way down in Federal Way but there is a guy up North here that fishes the Skagit River all the time. It cost like $300 a boat or something. I can't find anybody up here that wants to go and that is too steep for me. But if you want to go up there and want to split the costs give me a hollar. Cell phone is 425-931-3000.

If you already have a couple guys no worries. The guide service is

Ackurland's Guide Service and his name is Wayne.

888-675-2448
206-218-3362

He always has his cell on him even if he is on the river.

Good luck and good fishing.

Joe
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

cmessling07
Petty Officer

Post by cmessling07 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:14 pm

well ill be attending western wash u. in the fall, so if you are interested in an early fall trip i definetly would be down. thanks for the info joe