WDFW Replies To Military Fishing License Proposal

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Don Wittenberger
Commander

WDFW Replies To Military Fishing License Proposal

Post by Don Wittenberger » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:23 pm

In December, I wrote to the Director of WDFW describing a plan to pay for fishing licenses issued to active duty military personnel from a special compensation fund supported by cigaret taxes, very similar to the Veterans Compensation Fund the Legislature set up in the 1970s to pay cash bonuses to Washington residents who served in the armed forces in Vietnam. I didn't ask WDFW to submit agency request legislation, but only to review the proposal to determine whether it was feasible and whether the agency has any objections to it.

I received WDFW's official reply today, over the signature of Jim Scott, the Assistant Director for the Fish Program. The key portion of his letter reads as follows:

"You have proposed an interesting approach to allow active duty military pesonnel to fish for free by establishing a fund to pay for their fishing licenses through an increase on the cigarette tax. I agree with your suggestion that this proposal would be given greater consideration by the legislature if it was provided by your group or other stakeholders. WDFW would be supportive of this proposal if it maintained our license revenue and our ability to protect Washington State's fish and wildlife and provide sustainability opportunities."

This is the answer I hoped to get, and it couldn't be better worded even if I had written it myself. (I didn't! Honest! I swear!) It means WDFW, after analyzing the proposal, believes it's feasible and could be implemented, and won't oppose it if we can bring it to the Legislature. What we need now is a legislator who is friendly to WDFW, fishing and hunting interests, and the military community who will be willing to sponsor an amendment to a tax bill if the opportunity arises. It's probably too late to start a new bill, but my guess is the Legislature will be forced to raise taxes, and will go for "sin" tax increases first, so once a tax bill is introduced it should be a fairly simple matter to tack on an amendment that would create the special fund, add a penny or two to the state cigarette tax to fund it, and authorize the special fund to buy the fishing licenses for military personnel. I don't care which party the legislator is from; this is NOT a partisan issue. I will work with any legislator interested in this proposal.

The reason WDFW can't submit it to the Legislature is because it would look bad for an agency to request a tax increase intended to boost their own revenues at a time when all agencies are being asked to cut their budgets. This has to come from the public -- from the fishing community -- from us. The next step is, as I said, to find a legislator willing to get behind it, and then we'll need people to write or call their legislators in support of it, and to show up for legislative hearings to testify in support of it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muskyhunter28
Petty Officer

RE:WDFW Replies To Military Fishing License Proposal

Post by muskyhunter28 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:57 pm

Don, as a active duty soldier, that loves to fish I just wanted to say it sounds good!
Do you think you think you could raise taxes a little more and get us some free replacement props?
Some bucktails would be cool too!
~ Captain Don Hempler Tour Guides ~

Ski
Petty Officer

Post by Ski » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:34 pm

Don,

Great work and thanks again! When I get back from Korea I would love to get involved and will either write to, talk with or meet with any legislator who will support this bill. I will even volunteer ahead of time to participate and show up for the hearings - in uniform if allowed.

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:18 pm

muskyhunter28 wrote:Do you think you think you could raise taxes a little more and get us some free replacement props?
No.

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:19 pm

I hope you all realize this is a historic moment. That's the shortest comment I've ever posted on this blog.

MackPrince
Petty Officer

Post by MackPrince » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:54 pm

Great idea Don. The timing is tough with all the cut backs, but it is nice to see the support of a possible future initiative from the WDFW.
Take a kid fishing and make some reel memories.

Ski
Petty Officer

Post by Ski » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:09 pm

I just thought I would highlight waht some of my close friends are doing in TX. These are guys I have worked with and know for several years. They have taken their passion for fishing, attracted great sponsors, and now do everything they can to give back to our soldiers - especially our Wounded Warriors. I encourage you all to check it out.

www.armybassanglers.com