Which combo would you choose?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dilbert
Captain

Which combo would you choose?

Post by dilbert » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:52 pm

I'm looking for a casting setup to go after bass. Currently I have a 7' medium light (Cabels's Tourney Trail) spinning rod that I use for smallies and trout. I'd like something a little more stout for fishing cover and LMB.

Basically I'm looking for a 6'6" Medium Heavy rod with a good left hand retrieve casting reel (long time spinner, first time caster) at a good price.

The two setups I'm looking at are the Cabela's Pro-Guide 6'6" Medium heavy with the Daiwa Rojo reel.

Or...

The Bass Pro Shops Extreme Rod and Baitcast Reel Combo with the 6'6" Medium Heavy rod and ETX10HLD Reel(Or maybe one of the other reels offered in the combo deal).

I like that the Cabels's rod is a 2-piece, and I've heard good things about the Daiwa reels, but the Bass Pro Shop combo seems like it has a better rod (although it's a 1-piece) and a comparable reel. Both have good reviews on their respective sites.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

RE:Which combo would you choose?

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:29 pm

Be bold! Buy both and get in trouble with the little woman.

This is the rule I used in my first marriage: It's better to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.

Or...go for a casting rod rated for 12-15 lbs. I like lighter tips than the heavier ones. It's easier to load them up as most lures are less than 1/2 oz.

WCCT
Lieutenant

Post by WCCT » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:43 pm

I think you would do well with either of those. If you do not need a 2 piece rod, then I would go for the 1 piece. They are more sensitive. I like a 7' rod for most applications. I feel like I have more hook setting power. It is really a preference thing though. Good luck.
PowerTeam Lures Pro Staff
[http://www.powerteamlures.com/?Click=2818]

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:00 pm

I'm in the market of a new casting set-up myself. what do you think of this.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0045096

it is the Cabelas Tournament ZX/Tourney Trail Casting Combo
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:10 am

The guy at GIJoes showed me a cool caster reel that had a "wiggle" or "jig" button on it. One press would reel in the line one revolution of the spool. I thought that was pretty cool, but then again, I don't know anything about Jigging, bait casting, or bass fishing. :-"

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:46 am

skimpy wrote:I'm in the market of a new casting set-up myself. what do you think of this.

linky

That was one combo I was originally looking at since I really like my Tourney Trail spinning rod. I just wasn't sure about that cabela's reel... it didn't seem to get very good reviews, at least when compared to the BPS and Daiwa reels.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:27 am

I think the best Bang for your bucks is a 6'6" ALLSTAR ROD MED/HVY ACTION / matched with a Pflugher presidential reel .. This will run you about $125.00 From Bass pro shop catalog .. you can purchase a gift card from most grocery stores or use your own Crdt Crd / this combo will last you a life time with proper care .. good luck ...BBD:-({|=
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:59 pm

Double post on accident. Sorry.
But I love smurfs. :brilsmurf :bigsmurf: :smurf: :smurfin:

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:03 pm

skimpy wrote:I'm in the market of a new casting set-up myself. what do you think of this.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0045096

Do it skimpy. That looks like a pretty slick set-up to me. Cheap, but will do the trick for sure.
You guys in the market for starter combos should check out skimpys link too.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:48 pm

The single piece rod will have better action than if it was made 2 pieces but it will be harder to transport if your vehicle is small. Just something to think about.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:00 pm

fishnislife I bought the combo and it's great. It is my first baitcaster. I will upgrade later down the road, but for right now its perfect. I recomend this combo for a starter baitcaster.
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:23 pm

skimpy wrote:fishnislife I bought the combo and it's great. It is my first baitcaster. I will upgrade later down the road, but for right now its perfect. I recomend this combo for a starter baitcaster.
Which rod did you get with it? I may get that one.

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:26 pm

Tourney Trail IM7 6'6", 2pc Med. Hvy. I'm happy with it.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:01 pm

go with super cheap line for your first baitcaster. dont do what most people do and buy your favorite line that cost 20-40 bucks. you will end up cutting it all off on your first bad backlash. also get a baitcaster pick, you can buy rapala clippers and it will have a small knife, a baitcast pick and a lanyard. that pick has come in handy for me many many times.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:31 pm

I'd say the best combo for YOU is the one YOU pick out and put together. Don't rely on someone else chosing for you. It's like asking a group of cops what gun they like....you're gonna get different answers from everyone of them because each of us is different and there are so many different applications for each combo.

Do your homework...research....shop.....test....ask buddies (I guess that's what you're doing here) and then go out and get what feels good to you. That doesn't have to be the $300 combo either. My #2 combo cost me less than $25 (ebay and craigslist) and it's a Berkley / Quantum grouping, but it's got the feel I wanted.

Good luck.

Hope that helps.

Jon
God Bless our brave men and women fighting to preserve our way of life!!!

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:18 pm

Yeah, I wish I could try out some of the Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops gear locally. That's the big downside to mail order I guess... but Cabela's will be here soon.

Edgeran
Petty Officer

Post by Edgeran » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:00 pm

I agree with everything tnj8222 said. Be prepared to get discouraged at a couple backlashes but once you get the hang of it you'll love your new caster. Either setup sounds sweet to me.

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:34 am

i have 2 of the BPS extreme combos, absolutely LOVE them. Both mine are the 6'6" medium heavy rods, and I have one super high speed and one flippin' switch reel. Don't worry about it being your first baitcaster either,
as the braking system on those reels works wonderfully. Sure you'll backlash every now and then, but trust me once you go baitcaster there's no going back.