Smokers

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
blufin loui
Lieutenant

RE:Smokers

Post by blufin loui » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Hey ya stampie
I've not had the good fortune to catch (hence, smoke) any bright salmon (just a few dark ones years ago in the upper columbia), so the RW tripps have filled the smoker for us. We have been pleased with the results, but hope to someday do battle (and win) with the bright boys on the west side of the hill.:-({|=
There sure have been some tasty looking smoked goods posted. Makes one want to fire up for some smoked ribs or something.
I wasn't aware there were so many "smokers" on the site.
Cool thread.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:41 pm

Saturday I did a dry rub on a slab of Pork Ribs that turned out pretty good.

½ tbsp Salt
¼ cup Brown sugar
2 ½ tbsp Chili powder
1 ½ tbsp Ground cumin
2 tsp Cayenne pepper
2 tsp Black pepper (freshly ground)
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder

Mix ingredients and rub mixture on meat for 2 hours before cooking. Allow meat to reach room temperature. Cook ribs for 4 hours at 225 degrees in preheated smoker using hickory chips. Add a nice coat of your your favorite BBQ sauce, about ¼ tray of Hickory and let it cook another hour.
Attachments
HPIM2357b.jpg
HPIM2357b.jpg (103.49 KiB) Viewed 2061 times

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:28 pm

hi ya RaMcVey
When you say "they turned out pretty good", I gotta ask, what ya comparing those things with.
They look more than pretty good to me.
Mouths watering, and I got a sudden hankerin for BBQ ribs.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:51 am

One of the more memorable batch of ribs we made, we boiled them in water/vinager for a while. Put in smoker for an hour to smoke, then finished cooking in bbq sauce.

These were very good, on a scale of 1-10 of pork ribs Ive ever eaten, I would say the one in the pic were an 8+. A recipe Im sure to use again :cheers:

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:12 pm

I finally upgraded from 2 little chiefs to a Bradley 2 years ago. Night and day improvement in quality output and consistency. The only drawback is having to use their propritary biscuits. The ability to really control the temps is its shining star. I smoke a lot of salmon and trout and its perfect for the job. I also skin and trim before dry brining as it helps control both appearance and taste. The only time I leave the skin on anymore is for salmon bellies. The skin keeps the fatty flesh from falling apart. Squaw candy made from the bellies is my absolute favorite smoked product. On last years trip to the Nush in Alaska I brought back 30 lbs of belly trims that others didn't want. Fillets are great but so are the bellies. Now that I'm almost out I'll have to back to AK and re-stock. The fat boys from Rufus also have nice thick bellies that smoke up well. Yum, now I'm hungry and will have to pull out a pack of squaw candy, slice some chedder cheese, slice some red onion, open a jar of capers, grab a box of Triscut crackers, maybe open a pkg of cream cheese, and pop the tops on a couple of cold beers and watch a fishing DVD.
Life's short - fish hard!

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:53 pm

You sure know how to live wolverine.
Yuuuuum, that's great eatin

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:09 pm

that sounds so good even though i got the flu. i had to get up right in the middle of the ducks unlimited dinner last night and letter rip#-o :-({|=
fish on!

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:53 pm

HEY saltyseadog
Sorry to hear ya got the flue, Several folks on this side of the hill have been doing battle with flu. A Virulent strain that has kept some folks down for several weeks. Do the usual--i.e. plenty of fluids, rest, yada, yada--and hope you have a speedy recovery.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:56 pm

One thing I haven't noticed mentioned is the salt to use in smoking recepies.
Regular iodized table may give the finished product a slightly metalic taste. In my brine (maybe more salt), the flavor was very noticable. If you use Pickling/canning salt instead of table salt, you should notice a difference in the finished flavor.
Smoke On

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:38 pm

Rac,

Wow! I wanna pull out the smoker. I was just wondering which bbq sauce you like to use, being that part of the recipe called for bbq sauce.:chef:
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:36 am

I used Sweet Baby Rays Original BBQ sauce, got it at Sams Club. Two more racks going on the smoker tomorrow.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:30 am

blufin loui wrote:One thing I haven't noticed mentioned is the salt to use in smoking recepies.
Regular iodized table may give the finished product a slightly metalic taste. In my brine (maybe more salt), the flavor was very noticable. If you use Pickling/canning salt instead of table salt, you should notice a difference in the finished flavor.
Smoke On
I used Morton Course Kosher Salt on my salmon, but use frech ground sea salt when cooking.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:06 pm

WOW, :thumright not only do you guys fish well,:thumleft: , but are outstanding cooks as well.:chef:
Great info has been shared on this thread and I'll be making use of some of the suggestions. Always great to try new recipes.
Thanks y'all

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:56 pm

I did another batch of ribs today, similar to the last batch, I omitted the Cayenne Pepper on the kids half... then I promptly forgot which was which and gave the kids the hotter stuff. Oops, Sorry boys. Was some good eats though!!!

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:36 pm

:-k LOL, Don't ya just hate it when that happens. I'm sure the boys forgave ya.
Sounds like you have the smoker dialed in pretty well.
You may have to get your boys a "Food Taster" next time you offer them BBQd Ribs.:tongue:
Keep on Smokin

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:43 am

Yea, I was eatin on the salad so I didnt notice the mix up, Ellen looks over at me and said it wasnt as spicy as last time. About then I look up and both of the boys were fanning their mouths... oops.. sorry guys. :-$

Were looking for something we can tag food in the smoker with to prevent this type of mixup from happening again. I was thinking that somthing like plastic (food grade) or wood, like a golf tee, that could be poked into something to identify it. hmmm...

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:14 am

The bamboo "skewers" used for shiskabobs (sp) should work well at temps used. Cheap easily available, and could size to need.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:06 am

Killer Idea, Thanks :cheers: I happen to have a bag of those.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:44 am

One thing I do when I'm going to use them on the BBQ, is to soak them in water prior to use. At the temps we use to sloow cook/smoke, It probably wont be necessary, But if the bamboo tends to blacken you may give it a try.
On the other hand, Bamboo smoked ribs might be the ticket.
Thanks for sharing your experiences of the smoking kind.

salmonfinder
Petty Officer

Post by salmonfinder » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:57 pm

i use little chief!!!!!3 cups bs 1 cup sugar 1/3-1/4 salt 1 tablesppon garlic,onion powder,black pepper thick pieces on the bottom skin down layer and repeat!!!!!also i add a cajun spice to!!!!!
dont hate cause i willl bonk more fish than you!

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”